Half Marathon Trainers

2010 Goals - Halfway checkpoint! (Read 470 times)

OK so we're not quite halfway yet. But almost!

So how are you doing on your 2010 running (or non running) goals?

Did you set any? If so, how are you getting on?

If you didn't... how about sharing with the group what you plan to get done in the second half of the year.

Here's how I am faring for my 2010 Goals

1) 200 lbs by the end of 2010

Big fat blow out! Not moved an ounce. I eat way too badly 50% of the time (when I am on the road) and even  when I am home... mmmm the beer. Not going to hit this one without more lifestyle changes... and I'm not sure I'm ready to go there!

2) Break 26 minutes in a 5k

Check, Check! Got this one on 6/12 at "Dadfest 5k" - 24:44

3) Break 53 minutes in a 10k.

Despite running a 10k PR this year(54:01)  it's a bust so far, I am a full minute off this one. I think I can get this but I need to run a cooler 10k. That's right, I'm blaming the heat on this one.

4) Break 2 hours in a HM

This was a "rollover goal" from 2009 and the most important one to me for 2010. Trained hard early in the year for this and nailed it at the Dallas RnR Half on 3/14 with a 1:53:34

5) Run a first Full Marathon

This is really my second half goal. I am signed up for the White Rock Marathon on 12/5. eeek!

6) Run 1,500 miles for the year

Man, this is by far the hardest. I have such admiration for those that are able to clock out 30+ miles a week, every week, consistently. After a great start to the year I am now about 10 miles off the pace bunny in the 1500 mile group. Marathon training may get that back but It's a struggle.

In summary - I've got a bunch of work to do in the second half of the year.

What about you?

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

I am having a STELLAR year from a goals perspective.  I must qualify this, however.  This is the first year of my 5 year running career where I have taken up what, for me, is a serious set of goals......and I planned out an entire year so I had no excuse to slack off.   Previous years I set my sight on one race....or maybe two per year.  This year I had like 7 races planned and have added one additional one since I set my goals early this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if I add another race or two beyond that even before the year is out.

In addition to those races, I wanted to set a PR twice this year for my HM time.  I have set a PR in each of the THREE HMs that I have run thus far this year.  I have two more HMs before October, so who knows.  GOAL ACCOMPLISHED.

I wanted to set a 10K PR.........which I did.  I had an aggressive goal to break 50:00 in that race, but fell short. Maybe next time.  GOAL ACCOMPLISHED.

I have a goal to run 1000 miles this year.......and as of today I am on pace to break that....but only slightly.  I have 555 miles logged and it isn't yet the end of June.  ON TRACK TO ACHIEVE GOAL.

Goals:

✔ Jan 17 - AZ R&R HM, PR...1:55:21
      ✔ Mar 20 - Moab Canyonlands HM, PR...1:52:15
      ✔ May 16 - Denver/Colfax HM, PR...1:50:10
      ✔ May 31 - Bolder Boulder 10k, PR...50:47
      August 14 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs HM

ADDED - August 21 - Colorado Relay (10 person, 3 legs each, 175 mile mountain relay)
      August 27 - Hood to Coast...goal train hard, uninjured, and be there to have fun and finish strong
      October - Denver Rock & Roll HM

Run 1000 miles for the year (approx. 20 mpw)

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

IMKY13 finish!!

Here are my running/weight goals for 2010, along with my mid-year analysis in italics:

1)     STAY INJURY FREE!!! 

So far, so good…no real injuries to speak of

2)     Get to 200 lbs by the end of July 2010...and stay there

Not so good, as I am at 223 lbs...will shoot for the end of the year now

3)     Get below 20% body fat (currently at 25%)

Not sure, haven’t had it tested…but looking at goal#2, I wouldn’t think I am close

4)     Break 24 minutes in a 5k (current PR 24:33)

Haven’t done this yet…have several 5k’s lined up to do it though

5)     Break 2 hours in a half marathon (current PR 2:02:43)

DONE !!!  Did 1:57:35 @ Tom King Half Marathon on 3/13/2010

6)     Break 4 hours in a full marathon (current PR 5:04:49)

Haven’t done this yet…have one marathon in December (Rocket City) to do it

7)     Run 1,500 miles for the year

So far, pretty much on track for this…only about 15 miles behind schedule

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Goals from the beginning of the year:

1. Sub 27 min 5 K still at 28:29 - was 29:20 Dec 2009.  Don't spend a lot of time running 5 ks and have never did a 5 k in a race.  Usually use this as a tempo run and once every month or two try to run to beat my time.

2. Sub 58 min in 10 K still at 1:00:16 - was 1:04:38 in Jan 2010.  Haven't raced a 10 k either and this is usally my an easy run distance so haven't been pushing this time.

3. Sub 2 hours in a HM - 2:18:28 in my first HM.  Only back running 8 weeks post injury - next try Sept or Oct 2010.

4. Run 1,500 km for the year - only 587.0 km so far.  Not to make excuses but my injury impacted this goal big time!

5. 145 lb by the end of 2010 - still stuck at 165 lbs

Goals that developed throughout the year:

6. To stay injury free!!!  Missed 6-8 weeks of training in Feb/Mar due to knee issue and achillis tendonitis...so good so far since then!

7. To develop and maintain a good stretching program - going good...remembering to stretch 95% of the time

8.  To run 5 days a week and 40+ km /week - work in progress!  Hitting 40 k most weeks now...have to work on consistently running at least 5 days per week.  Should see an improvement in July while I am on vacation!

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Newbie here, signing up

Sub 20 5km.  Nope Got to 20:26. 5km season starts again in Sept. This is gonna be a struggle

Sub 42 10km Nope Got to 44:15. Will be a push but may get there

Sub 1:40 Half. On Track.  First half next month and I think I am on target for this one given a good day at the office

1500km in the year. On target. Done 878km so far

Climb Makorako. Will be summer time for this insane 3 day hike/climb deep into the NZ wildernerss!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Beginner all over again

Great progress, Everyone !!   Way to stick with it !!

First Goal -- Finish my first HM

Did that in May 2010

Next Goal -- Run that HM again in May 2011

Goal in the meantime

Finish 3 HM's in between those two Goal HM's

The first HM seemed "Really Far" to me.  Longest Run had been only 10 miles,

so I'm hoping by doing some Long Runs on a regular basis the HM Distance will shrink a bit for me

I suspect I will notice some general pace improvement too, but I'm mostly doing Base Building from

May 2010 to May 2011

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I didn't set my mileage goals very high for this year. I wanted to increase over last year. I'm over 50% to my stretch goal and about 60% to my first goal. I'm about 10 days into half training for the first time. The race I registered for early sold out 10 days before the early bird deadline so I'm feeling good about signing up early.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

After missing my 1/2 marathon goal by 18 seconds, I realize I may not hit any of my stated goals for the year.

On the other hand, I'm improving a lot and having fun. So who cares?

OK, so I care, but just a little.  I need to find some fall races.

1). Increase mileage each week and month. 

I’ve increased my mileage each month since March.  It was unrealistic to think I would increase my mileage each week.  Some weeks I was just too beat up to increase mileage.  It was also a tough transition from running mid 30s to mid 40s per week.   I finally feel good running 6 days a week, although I enjoy the extra rest day once in awhile, too.

2). Run 4-5 half marathons this year. 

I ran 2 already, signed up for 1 in August and have another on my radar in November. 

3). Set a new PR in every 1/2 marathon I run this year.

I set a PR in the ING Miami by 2 minutes, and then I lowered it another 6 minutes in the 13.1 Miami in March.  I feel confident about setting another PR in August. 

4). 1/2 marathon goal is 1:29:59.

I am on target to go below this goal in August.  I’m targeting sub 1:28 for that race.  New goal: I’m pushing toward a sub 1:23 either in November (doubtful) or next January (more likely). 

5). 5k goal is sub 19 min.

Not a major goal.  I only ran one 5k in 2009 and plan on only one in 2010.  In fact, I’ve only run one 5k since 2006.   I’d love to post times like I did back in college, but that’s a pipe dream.  Unless I radically change my workout and running program, I won’t touch the times I had 10-12 years ago.  Besides, I love the ½ marathon distance a lot more than 5k.    

My goal this year was to get to 1:40 in the HM, doesn't look like it's going to happen, not getting the mileage planned/required  for that.  I'll have to reset my expectations closer to 1:45. I'll still be very happy if I get there as that'd be a 6+ minute improvement in a year.

I was KICKIING ASS until May 16th when I pulled my Peroneal Tendon...and haven't run over 2 miles in the past 2+ months..................BUT, its just about healed now so I think I will resume HM training next week but will really be behind for my Oct 3rd HM.....still planning to run it but instead of trying to break 1:50, likely be run/walk/running it Galloway style and shooting for a 2:15 or something like that.........

NEXT YEAR WILL BE MY YEAR>......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Jeff you have really made great progress this year and are running times you should be proud of-(of which you should be proud- sorry, ended a sentence with a preposition.)

Happyfeet, other than May, which looks like a low month, it seems you have been training consistently, unlike me(!), and I am sure you will be rewarded. While you cannot improve without training in our sport, you cannot fail to improve if you do train.

John, sorry to hear of your injury, but there`s always another chance when you recover!

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Time to update:

Sub 20 5km.  Nope got to 20:26. 5km season starts again in Sept. New Half Marathon training programme involving more speed/hill sets should help my speed. Im probably only at 21:15 format the moment!

Sub 42 10km Nope got to 44:15. Haven't run this distance in months. Pass through at about 45:00 on a 18km run. Probably only at 43:30 form at the mo so a long way to go

Sub 1:40 Half. Done. 1:38:16.  Feel I can go under 1:35 (did 1:35:30 on a measured course in training), that can be a target for next year.  I have one, maybe 2 more HM's this year but not the type of courses to expect PB on

1500km in the year.  Have reset goal to 1000 miles (1609km).  Ahead of target (72% of milage complete after 62% time gone). Up to 1157km.

Climb Makorako. Will be summer time for this insane 3 day hike/climb deep into the NZ wildernerss!  It still teases me everytime I see a photo of it.  A friend of mine sorta suggested we try to do it in a day - think 22+ hours, 50km and 5000 vertical metres total ascent.  hmmmm this would be on the boaders of my ability even at peak fitness so we shall see. Maybe we keep with the 3 day option

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Awesome speediness Criag! Good luck on that climb in a few months time (Summer down there in Dec right?)

2017 Goals
                              1) Run more than 231 miles
                              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Cheers Matt.  Our most settled months are late Jan-Mid April but will be looking for a weather window as close to the longest day as possible.  Ive attempted this hike once before but failed as we got lost and the time it cost us meant we had to pull the pin.  Its a pretty extreme and very remote hike but the peak itself isn't technically demanding

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: