Half Marathon Trainers

HMT August thread. (Read 382 times)

Congratulations to you and DH!

I have had my Garmin for 4 years but the battery died about 6 months ago- I do miss it and will have to get around to taking care of it soon.

Easy 8 miles for me today, probably just mow the lawn tomorrow after work.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

Congratulations on the wedding anniversary VF! 

I agree with you, the ability to just go run and let the GPS log the data is great. I actually set mine up so that I have this one screen which doesn't give me any pace or time info just so I don't get any feedback on pace/time, etc.

The two things I love...love...love about working out with a GPS device are setting up interval workouts in it (which is easy as pie!), and having average pace and last split pace when running a race.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I am sure I don't know how to really use the functions on my Garmin. It beeps the mile markers and I dump all the info off when I get home. I probably have it on default (time/pace/distance) display, but that's enough for me.

Training is going well, I think. I have no problem with consistency, but I'm 23 days out from my half and I need to work on the mental part. I've tried to sort of follow Macmillan paces to see if it would help. I'm surprised to find that I usually enjoy the tempos and I'm stronger on hill day than I expect. Last year I stayed with the 2:30 pace bunny and finished 2:28. I want to be faster this time, but I think the 2:15 bunny will be too quick so I don't know whether to pace myself or go with the 2:30 rabbit until 10 or 11 miles. And I signed up for a 10K three weeks after the half. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

If the weather is cool and you are feeling good I would take the bold approach and try for 2:15- I am pretty sure you can do it.

I have sometimes been conservative and regretted it afterwards.

an amazing likeness

Training is going well, I think. I have no problem with consistency, but I'm 23 days out from my half and I need to work on the mental part. I've tried to sort of follow Macmillan paces to see if it would help. I'm surprised to find that I usually enjoy the tempos and I'm stronger on hill day than I expect. Last year I stayed with the 2:30 pace bunny and finished 2:28. I want to be faster this time, but I think the 2:15 bunny will be too quick so I don't know whether to pace myself or go with the 2:30 rabbit until 10 or 11 miles. And I signed up for a 10K three weeks after the half. Smile

Your log is looking so good, Meg -- you have a lot more base miles this year compared to last, and are currenty logging a steady diet of 30 mile weeks....are you sure you're not underselling what you can do in terms of pace?  What if you start out with the 2:15 group and decide to let them go only if you have to after 5 - 6 miles? 

Anyway, all I'm really trying to say is to not sell your training short, you've put in a lot of work to build miles and pace will come from that hard work.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Really rained hard during my run tonight, so hard it soaked through my shoes and socks.

I could hear the drops on the tree leaves, on the car roofs, the house roofs and the road.

I must say I enjoyed it, it has been a long time- felt like a kid again.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm feeling pretty strong on my runs these days. The mental stuff is tougher for me; I don't want to tank my race out of nerves so I'm working on trying to let go of the worry and put my trust in my training. I've done the miles and I've done tempos which I'd never done in training before this year. (And this morning's run put me over 725 miles which was my stretch goal for this year because at New Year's, I didn't know how much I was going to run. LOL!)

Simon, I love running in that sort of rain unless it's cold. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

I LOVE running in the rain! Smile Glad you had a nice run Simon! I find it sort of freeing...and I love the looks I get from people in their cars as they pass me, LOL.

Meg I agree with MT!!! I think you are going to rock this thing! A little bit of nerves are ok, but don't get bogged down with them. Your log is rock solid and your training will pay off. Just trust your body and tell your mind to go with the flow Smile

I foresee a sub 2:15!!!