Half Marathon Trainers

Help me pick a goal time (Read 467 times)

an amazing likeness

Will be running first half marathon this weekend in over a year. Actually, first run over 11 miles in nearly a year because...well...long story. I'm being incredibly wishy-washy in picking a goal for this weekend, ranging from 'just finish' to try for 1:45.  Was able to log 11 miles last weekend in 1:37, so 1:45 seems do-able on race day.  But thing is, if I pound out the distance too hard, I'll get really set back health wise as my knees and ankles can't take the beating.  Couple that with a definite lack of endurance training of any kind....and you get me sitting here late a night wondering what a good goal might be.  Public angst...sort of the runner's version of pacing the floor.

mta:  Ok, in the warm light of the new day, I've arrived at a new place.  No more worries about time -- just run it, run it hard, but just bring it home and see what happens.

Taking stock:

- A year ago, I would have shot for a 1:35 or so and I'd estimate I'm at about 60% of my running fitness from a year ago...

- 5 lbs heavier...

- a year older, and at my age...that counts...

- can't run downhill, have to use little geisha steps and tippy-toe gently

- in the past year, have only logged 4 or 5 runs longer than 10 miles

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

well i assume a lot on what the course is like but 1:45 seems a good place to start to me looking at your log!

good luck!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

IMKY13 finish!!

I agree with Vino...a lot of it depends on the course.  Like, if there are a lot of downhills, that can put a pounding on your knees.  So without knowing much about the course, but scanning your log...I'd say that 1:45 is very doable.  Of course, it's not worth risking injury...if you feel any pain, immediatly throttle back and just be happy to finish.  We all have goals on race day...but then as race develops we always have to change our strategy (sometimes for the good..sometimes for the not so good).

Go out and enjoy the race!!!  BTW....what half are you doing?

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the feedback folks, appreciate it.  Updated my original posting with today's thoughts.

This half is the Maine Marathon / Half Marathon. Course is not hilly, steady rolly-polly. Course map and elevation here.

You have been doing the miles so your fitness should be good, I would also think somewhere around 1:45-might be good to have a 1:50 goal, a 1:45 goal if things go  well and maybe 1:40-1:42 if things go really well.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Andy, what you have accomplished this year is inspiring.

Whatever time you post on race day, I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

an amazing likeness

Well it was 1h:43m:20 for official time.  I'm definitely still way undertrained for the distance, legs started fading from about 8mi onward. I paid the price for going out too fast, but still held onto even splits:

7:48 | 7:49 | 7:49 | 7:48 | 7:53 | 7:49 | 7:53 | 7:48 | 7:35 | 7:48 | 7:54 | 7:46 | 7:52

I'll take that. Just under 1 year from lying smashed in the road...it is all part of the journey. I'll be feeling this one for a few days.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nicely done! Still a very respectable time even if you did feel undertrained. Smile

Hope recovery goes well for you.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

You did better than you expected - excellent work!  You've come such a long way in the past year. 

You should be very proud of yourself - WE are!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, it has sure been a heck of a journey over the past year.  And so far still to go.

Milk truck, looks like you are almost all the way back to your pre accident days and close to your PR's.  Good running.

Well done, REALLY well done!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.