Half Marathon Trainers

Intprepid Racers - Sept 29 & 30 (Read 263 times)

an amazing likeness

Meg leads off our racers this weekend with her 10K on Saturday in Regina. I've never been to the area, however I'd venture a guess this time of year in the Canadian plains it's time to get fall races in before winter's leading edges push south and the going gets rugged.

Lakerunner sets out on Sunday in the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY for her Wineglass Half. Over the years there I've read many reports here on RA about how beautiful a course Wineglass is, people really like this race. (I want to get to Wineglass next year.)

Sep 29 CanadianMeg Flatlanders 10K Regina, SK
    Sep 30 Lakerunner5 Wineglass Half Marathon 13.1 mi Corning, NY

Sending best wishes for good luck, following winds and fleet feet to our racers! 

(Report back with race reports. Extra credit for pictures...we love pictures! Wink)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Good luck guys! Race your hearts out!! Big grin

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Intrepid hardly.

Discouraged? Much.

Not a good race for me, but I did sprint the last 20 metres or so in a race with another runner. 

ETA: About 14 or 15*C and sunny. 15-20kph wind. We're having some warm weather yet. Unbelievable. I've run this race before in tights with gloves. Yesterday, shorts and a short sleeved shirt and dumped a cup of water down my back at the 4 mile water station. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Sorry about your race Meg. Tough with the cramping. Do you think it was a hydration thing?

I am going to stake my claim to join the intrepid ones this weekend. (Pictures included for extra credit!!!) I did not have my race on the HMT calendar but despite my better judgement I went and raced the Stonebridge Ranch Sprint Triathlon today. Intrepid? You decide:

Intrepid?

To recap at this point. Reasons not to do this:

• Getting up at 4:30am
          • Raining cats and dogs
          • Last 3 months training totals out at 0m Swimming, 11 miles bike, 45 miles run

.... but I promised I'd do it so... what are you going to do!

The prospect of the 750m swim scared me, crashing the bike in the rain terrified me.... plus I was pretty sure that I would die due to overall lack of fitness!

It was cold waiting for the swim. It's an open water swim, it's 65F and I'm standing around in tri-shorts and a latex cap but soon enough we are in the water and the horn blows. We're off. About 150m into the swim I realize I am going to drown if I try to do freestyle the whole way. So I switch to breast stroke, this was my stroke at school (way too long ago) but it seems to get me through. I get out of the lake and head to the first transition (T1). We have to run out of the lake, up a muddy slope, down another muddy slope, round the corner, between 4 tennis courts (and halfway to Oklahoma) to get to the bikes. I get into the transition and my hands don't really work properly. Everything is in plastic bags to keep it dry but that may have been a mistake. Rookie errors but this transition takes me about 2 mins longer than it really should.Now for the bike:

Bike

I really enjoyed the bike section and think I can do better here next time. I never really biked more than 4 miles in training and was up for 12. I was glad I wore my HRM as it kept me from going too fast. I paced myself pretty evenly and, as it was a two lap race, even had chance to wave at the midpoint!

(Man these photos make me look even slower than I was!)

I need more practice on the gears and with getting a smoother pedal stroke but compared to how bad I was thinking the bike part might be it should have been way worse!

From the bike it was a quick transition (T2) to the run. no real problems here and soon enough I was off... stopping for a quick drink on the way out!

The rain had stopped by the time I started the run. It was weird at the start it felt like I was taking really small steps and my legs wouldn't work properly. The first mile of the 5k was pretty rough (10:30) but after that I managed to push it a bit I clocked a 9:30 and a 9:00 and finished the 5k under 30 mins:

I have to say I had a blast doing this. A lot of fun.

I have been a bit down on fitness and exercising and this was exactly what I needed.

My final times were:

750m Swim 17:12.0
          T1 05:43.0
          12M Bike 40:31.0
          T2 02:12.0
          5k Run 28:51.0
          Chip Time 1:34:32

No idea how I am going to record this in RA yet and I am going to be a sore and sorry guy tomorrow but it was well worth it!

HUGE thanks to KerCanDo140 who bullied me into this, paid for my entry, ended up not doing it himself but came anyway, took the photos above, babysat my coat and shoes and cheered me every stoke, pedal and step of the way.... Thanks Brian! You rock.

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Wow. Great report and congrats on finishing first tri and having so much fun. But you did this without a) any training, PERIOD and b) no experience running off of a bike? Impressive. You should wander over to the swim bike run group. Will you do another?

I'm starting to miss triathlons!

HappyFeat

Matt - you are AMAZING!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I had a great race today, not because I PR'ed at 2:24:22, but because it just felt great to run on a beautiful day, on a scenic course, with lots of family cheering me on! Five of my nieces and nephews made signs and met me at a few spots and the finish. They all want to run the Wineglass Half next year!  

The starting temp was about 45 F and foggy, but as we started to run, the fog began to lift, revealing the TRIX colored hills of the finger lakes. I stayed right with the 2:20:00 pace runner for 10 and a half miles, but lost my edge at the end. My sister met me at mile 11 on her bike and encouraged through the end. I had hoped to finish in 2:20:00 but I did knock 7:30 off last year's time, so I'm very happy with that. 

The WineGlass is a fantastic race and I hope to make it a yearly run.

HappyFeat

I had a great race today... I PR'ed at 2:24:22 ... I did knock 7:30 off last year's time, so I'm very happy with that. 

The WineGlass is a fantastic race and I hope to make it a yearly run.

Sounds like a wonderful day for you, Lake!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HUGE thanks to KerCanDo140 who bullied me into this, paid for my entry, ended up not doing it himself but came anyway, took the photos above, babysat my coat and shoes and cheered me every stoke, pedal and step of the way.... Thanks Brian! You rock.

Matt, it was my pleasure! I enjoyed it tremendously. I was so happy when it was your time to head toward the water, so I could wear your jacket. I under dressed for the event.

You did great! I'm glad you embraced the challenge, and enjoyed the event. The kids did great racing Saturday, too. Cheers, Brian.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Congrats Matt and Lake!  Sounds like you both had an awesome time.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Lake - sounds like a fantastic place to run. Great Job! Smile

you did this without a) any training, PERIOD and b) no experience running off of a bike?

I'll state upfront that it was not my intent to be soooo cavalier in my training approach to this. When Brian put me up to this he lent me a bike and shoes, gave me a bunch of training tips and support. Work just got in the way. I got sent to Seattle for 3 months and couldn't cycle, didn't really have time to run or swim. So to answer "a)" - Not NO training but not much. I ran very little but always knew it was "only a 5k" (we're all Half Marathoner's here right Wink). I biked 3 times, so at least I could get on & off without falling on my ass and I could change gears. I did not swim really at all but for full disclosure I used to swim & play water polo in High School so wasn't really worried about drowning I just figured it may take a while. I guess it was mind over matter1

To answer "b)" - Not at all. Huge oversight on my part. Looking back at the notes that Brian sent me he said "At some point in late August and early September, you'll also need to do a brick workout, which would consist of a bike ride (maybe 15 miles) followed by a run (maybe 2 miles)." I completely missed that and it was very weird... a definite mistake by me.

You should wander over to the swim bike run group.

I will!

Will you do another? I'm starting to miss triathlons!

I can see why people can get hooked on this. Yes, I will likely do another... but probably not until next year. Another HM first I think!

2017 Goals
                        1) Run more than 231 miles
                        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

I can see why people can get hooked on this. Yes, I will likely do another... but probably not until next year. Another HM first I think!

I'm a bit jealous of your approach in this race, if you can believe that. I love multisport, but what I find happens for me is I get overwhelmed by bike training. It is so much more important than running, but is hugely time consuming and prevents me from running as much as I want to. I think the answer lies in aquathlons as swimming doesn't interfere with running and I really like to do it.

an amazing likeness

I had a great race today, not because I PR'ed at 2:24:22, but because it just felt great to run on a beautiful day, on a scenic course, with lots of family cheering me on!

That's money (as they say). That is just great to read. Fantastic!  Great run, too...a flippin' 7m 30sec PR in a half marathon.  Wohoo!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.