Half Marathon Trainers

Spacing races (Read 446 times)

ud32

For the past 2 fall seasons I have done a half marathon. I'd like to run 2 of them this fall. How far apart should I space the 2 events ? How close together could they be without risking injury ?

day after day sameness

Personally, I'm heading into a set of 3 half marathons in Oct and November, spaced at 2 weeks and 3 weeks.  I'm working back from siginficant injury and my goal is to progess through them, lowering my time by 7 minutes between #1 and #2, and another 4 or 5 minutes between #2 and #3.  For me, 2 or 3 easy days used to be plenty to recover from a half, so I assumed that 5 or 6 would give me a buffer and then use the next week for sharpening for the next race.  Thus, 2 weeks between seemed reasonable.

Well...that didn't work out as envisioned, to say the least!  Times in the three races were feakin' identical:

1:43:20

1:43:21

1:43:41

I couldn't have hit those times all the same if I had tried.  Pretty discouraging actually to not make any progress....uggh.  Back to the drawing board.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

I seem to do fine with a 3-4 week pacing between the two spring and the two fall races I do regularly.  I get a pretty good improvement on the second one (has been between 2-6 minutes).  I have no experience running them closer than 3 weeks though.  I raced a 10 miler a week after a half marathon, but was not happy with the performance in the10 miler, obviously I need more recovery than a week, so I guess for me it's somewhere between 1 and 3 weeks.

Regarding injury risk, I don't think it will be an issue unless you have a nagging or pre-existing condition or develop one during the race.

ud32

I spaced my races 3 weeks apart - it worked out just fine, but honestly would have preferred another week. I think a 4 week space would have been ideal.