Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - May 2011 (Read 689 times)

Hi Folks

Thought I would start the May thread off.

I am in India this week so I missed my long run on weekend due to travel and will be on the treadmill all this week.

Many races this month.... hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Hi Folks

Thought I would start the May thread off.

I am in India this week so I missed my long run on weekend due to travel and will be on the treadmill all this week.

Where in India Matt? My son is moving to Hyderabad in August... with three of my grandchildren in tow! Dang him. They'll be there for the school year. Am not sure about a 2nd year, hope not.

I got in a 6.7mi, 96 min long run in this morning. Taking advantage of some cooler weather and being retired and not needing to get to an office. did have to get to DD2's house tho to help watch the twins while she went to Dr appt.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm hoping to see a real shift in my running this month. I'm finally getting some consistency and the weather is being mostly complimentary. I need to start getting back to longer runs on Sundays. I've got a 10K in about 5 weeks and start official half training after that. I'm thinking I should have a better base going into half training which should help me. (I want a new PR in my 10K and my half this year.)

Hope training and weather are favourable for the rest of you! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Matt-

hopefully your training doesn't get too messed up by traveling. 

Meg-

when's your half?

Bob-

any other plans before November?

Mandy-

nice job on your race this weekend despite the timing mishap. I don't understand how what happened can happen (having to add to minutes to everyone's times).

My May is off to a decent start. I did my spring 'A' race on Sunday and did pretty well. I took 3.5 mins off my February HM time, but still far from PR condition. I love the OC course and will continue to run this race whenever possible. If anyone is looking to travel to a nice HM/Full in May, I recommend this one. I also did this race with a group of five friends, which is a first for me. It's fun to have a big group at a race. I'm reevaluating racing plans-I'll probably add a 10k this month and another HM (Los Angeles) in late October-I really like running the half. I also doubt I'll be able to run the HM in Germany in December, so will do something in California or Las Vegas on that same day. Other than the 10k (which is run on my normal running route), I'm officially in triathlon season until late September.

Beginner all over again

Thanks for Starting the Topic, Matt

I'm hoping to see a real shift in my running this month. I'm finally getting some consistency

I can say the exact same thing, Meg !

My log is open for view.  Finally my schedule cooperated for some running consistency.

Although I worked nearly a double shift and missed my LongRun (LR) yesterday.  Cry 

It would be nice to be retired, but I had to get to an Office today.

But I ran anyway at dawn this morning

My LR of the week  :50 minutes

and Longest duration so far since my come-back.

That's not counting my WarmUp and CoolDown so I 80 minutes on my shoes today. Yay

I'm going to "count that run" as my first Medium-run of the week, and run T W Th F this week

and do a LR again on Sunday for my first One-Hour duration.

My weeks are counting down.

I hope my Pace at Training HR (heartRate) improves in another four months!

But I can only do what I can do, so I'm in for the next 20 weeks of training, come what may.

Nice LR Bob.  I'm impressed!

Congrats Red on a same-race Improvement!

Good job everyone!

Keep posting!

I enjoy reading it all!

I just realised I posted last night on the April thread- eejit!

Anyway, I am finally running again, hope to keep my motivation up and become as consistent as you guys.

A guy I know just ran a really great 10k last Sunday- 41:43 at the age of 63! That is a lot faster than me although I am only 60, so I have to try to work on my fitness and get a bit closer, who knows what might be possible if we try!

Let us know what it is like in India, Matt, most of us will not get a chance to go there ourselves.

Good progress Meg and Red, and weel done on the consistent training Frances, work is a major obstacle for me, too.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Beginner all over again

I did my First One Hour Run

this morning

Smile

I used to do Run-Walk-Run, and just last month switched over to Sustained Jogging.

I'm happy to have reach this milestone in the LongRun of my week.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My half isn't until 9-11-12. This year, it sold out in mid-April; so glad I registered in February. My goal right now is to get my mileage up to the 15+ miles per week this month and hopefully in June, slide that up to 20-25 miles per week and stay there for a while. I ran a 5.2 mile run this morning and it was tough, but I'm going to blame that on the 80% humidity which I'm not used to since we've hardly had any spring yet. (The trees aren't leafed out yet. That's a good measure of how warm the ground isn't yet.)

Nice to hear that consistency is happening for others as well. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

Yikes, my half is this coming Sunday, May 15, the nerves are kicking in big time.

FrancesRe...why did you stop your run/walk?  Just curious because I do the run/walk method.  Was it hard to change to sustained running?

Where in India Matt?

Delhi. I have been many times before but this one was a little different. Like your son, Dawn (the missus) and I were over there on what they call a “look-see” visit to see if Delhi was somewhere we could spend the next 3 years living.

Let us know what it is like in India, Matt, most of us will not get a chance to go there ourselves.

Would that I could! Adequate words fail me but I will try. I don’t mean that in a negative way, Delhi is just so different from what those of us in the US (and I guess down under) are used to. For a start it’s summer over there; that means days on end over 110F (43C) – that’s hot. It’s also busy. Did you know that every seventh person on the planet is Indian… apparently they were all in Delhi while we were there! To the outsider it’s also chaos – cars, trucks, auto rickshaws, mopeds, bicycles, pedestrians, cows, camels, dogs, elephants all trying to occupy the same piece of road at the same time. You have not had an interesting commute until you have driven (been driven) to work in Delhi. That said, there is also the incredible side too. The culture, the cricket, the history, the hospitality and the food mmmmm Smile

Those of you who have been kicking around this group for a while will know that we moved from DFW to DC last October. The project up here has not worked out for the company and I find my position a casualty of the messed up industry of Telecoms. I am fortunate in that my company still wants me so the choice is back to DFW or onwards to Delhi. Long story short (too late?!) Delhi is a fantastic opportunity in some ways but just a step too far for us as a family in others. I’ve got a few more days until I have to decide but right now it’s likely that we’re heading back to DFW.

Good luck to your boy & his family bobev, it’s an incredible place!

Matt-

hopefully your training doesn't get too messed up by traveling. 

I was doing well until I was ravaged by Delhi-Belly on Wednesday. I will spare you the details (and my flushes blushes Blush) save to say that my 7 miler this morning was the first time I have felt "comfortable" and confident enough to hit the pavement since then. It’s knocked my plans for the HM in a few weeks time to be honest, but will see how we go until then.

I did run that 10k with Dawn the day before we went to India though, and that was great. The course was a little short (about 0.2). It was 2 loops of a 5k and there was a little 0.1 mile spur that we were supposed to run as part of the second loop to make up for bypassing the start/finish segment but everyone was being directed straight past it by the volunteers. NBD – it was just great to run with the missus. Dawn had hoped to get in under an hour and we just dipped out on that by a minute, there’s always next time.

Looking at the rest of your progress though is great inspiration. Some great races already run this month.

Barb – what race are you running next weekend? Stick to your plan. You’ll rock it! Smile

Keep sharing folks, great to hear from you all.

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
                      1) Run more than 231 miles
                      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

@Matt.......I'm doing the Cellcom Marathon, Green Bay, WI.  It's a pretty big event around here.  I'm doing the half marathon but the full marathon is a BQ run.  Both half and full end running through the Lambeau Stadium which this year is a pretty big deal since the Packers run the the Superbowl.  The runs sold out really fast.  I can't lie, the training has been exhausting.......right now the exhausting and anxiety is overwhelming.  My excitement is taking back burner.

Thanks for the report Matt!

I grew up in Africa but it was not nearly as hot because of the elevation, my daughter lives there still, but out in the country in an area with lots of game, elephant, lions, cheetah etc.

It is hard for someone who has only lived in one country to comprehend how different life may be somewhere else- I enjoyed learning a bit about India.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I love your reports Matt - good luck to you and the family whatever you decide.

Beginner all over again

...why did you stop your run/walk? 

Was it hard to change to sustained running?

I initially did Run/Walk (RW) as insurance to avoid injury.  (and coming off 10+ years sedentary)

I only "ran" every other day (rest, recovery)

And I of course did the intermittent walk in my Runs (mini-rest, mini-recovery)

And my goal was to cover distance in a short time, as I was entering my first HM with some friends and

frankly I didn't want to be on the course for 3+ hours, etc.

And it worked.   I was very fast (for me)

I know I would have been overall Slower with sustained running.

This time around, I wanted to fun Faster with Less Effort

Emphasis on the Less Effort, Easier   Wink

Also burns fat as fuel.

No, it was not hard to change to sustained running because I was Run/Walk'ing at first to stay under HR<135

Eventually I walked less, and less frequently, until I didn't have to walk at all to keep my HR<135

But I did have to jog r-e-a-l-l-y slowly at first,

but I am getting incrementally and consistently faster as the weeks go by.

That transition is easy because it's at my body's own pace.

I use a Garmin heart monitor.  It beeps at HR too low, and HR too high, so I adjust my pace to keep the beeping to a minimum.

Also, after I complete a few more HMs, I'd like to run a Full Marathon using

http://feelrace.com/fr.pl?th=MARCO 

I'm thinking of adapting the Marco Marathon pace (HR actually) calculator to HM distance for my next few HMs

Smile

@matt - thanks for the interesting posts, and good luck with the job situation.

@happybarb - Sounds like a really neat race. RELAX! Joking  I know the distance seems daunting, and when you put a lot of effort into training the mental/emotional buildup can make you anxious. But in the end what is really your goal here? I'm guessing (correct me if I am wrong) that you are like me and the goal is to run to be healthy and that the races are just motivators to keep you training.  I've run 2 1/2s, one just to finish and one with a time goal in mind.  In both races I pushed my self to the limit and, though painful, I had a blast!  Whatever happens on race day, don't forget to have fun. Let the elites who make a living off of running get stressed out.  The rest of us can just enjoy it.

(P.S. - please remind me of this before my next race Wink  )