Half Marathon Trainers

February! (Read 36 times)

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Sorry I have been MIA.  Surgery went well although one thing couldn't be removed due to the location and I'll have to get some treatment for that (it's not cancer, don't worry).  Having said that, by Saturday, I was walking close to 3000 steps and by now (11 days later) I am closer to 5000.  The pain has been manageable so no narcotics for me and in fact, I have not even taken ibuprofen for a week.  I am ready to start walking outside as exercise but we'll see if when I decide to do so.

Waking up from anesthesia had some complications.  When I woke up I couldn't breathe and I had an asthma attack so they had to put me on albuterol ASAP.  My BP was 200/105 so they had to work on me until I went down to 150/90 to be allowed into a room.  First thing I demanded of my husband was my iPad to sign up for the Space Coast Marathon.  I drove my dad and husband crazy crying and talking nonsense.  Haha.  BP is normal now but it took close to a week.

Overall, recovery has been better than expected.  I'll start checking in more when I start having runs to post.  

Thanks for thinking of me!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

11 on the bike plus one cleaned garage.

D_R - Great to hear that you are recovering well.  BP probs after surgery are no fun...did you take BP meds....?  Love that you wanted to get on the iPad to get that race!  Die Hard Runner through and through.  Hope all continues to go well.

Barb - Wasn't it AWESOME this weekend!  Of course the polar vortex is returning to Boston with a vengeance.  Single digits later this week - - I knew it was too good to be true - and of course more snow is coming.  So tell me a bit about the New Bedford Half course.  Turns out we return from Florida on the 15th.....and I might be game for running a half on the 16th.

Redleaf - Are you feeling better??  I slept about 15 hours one night and drank gallons of fluids - and recovered relatively quickly.  Hope you feel better soon.

Great mileage Hoglife.  You are certainly keeping busy between the bike, the running and the grandsons!

Cyber - sounds like the conditions are dangerous! Maybe take to the treadmill....I don't like it but accept it as a necessary evil if I want to run and live in New England.   Also, don't think.  Just run :-)

Ayola - It makes such a difference when the sun comes out - it's almost like an entirely different season.

I managed to rest and recoup in time for the Hyannis Marathon Relay yesterday - ran the 1st leg (7mi) at a 7:02 pace - essentially even splits so I was happy to not fall under the "starting to fast" spell that I usually do.  Our team came in 1st for the open women so we had a great day!

Ready, go.

Cyberic

Cyber - sounds like the conditions are dangerous! Maybe take to the treadmill....I don't like it but accept it as a necessary evil if I want to run and live in New England.   Also, don't think.  Just run :-)

I've never run on a treadmill yet. I'd like to try it someday, but I have no subscription to a gym. I have a yearly subscription to an indoor track though, so I could go run there when it is risky.

Thing is I run indoors during week days because of time constraints: the track is a 5 minute walk away from where I work so I take a long lunch and have time to squeeze in a 35 minutes run. I do that 3 times a week.

So come weekend, I can't wait to run outdoors and not go round and round on a 190m track. I also have more time and run longer, so the track would be mind-numbing. Plus I'd have to take my car to get to the track and have this weird thing about not taking my car to go run.

But you are absolutely right with the advice. Thank you.

And wow Tara! That is fast!

hog4life

Tara, wow, congrats on the 1st for the relay. Awesome pace too.

I had another good run this afternoon. Plan called for 7x1200's at 8:10. I ended up with 9 miles at OA pace of 8:59. I did this on the road, so 1 mile WU, did 3/4 mile at pace, then the next 1/4 as recovery, rinse and repeat through 7 repeat intervals, and 1.25 CD. I haven't looked in detail yet, but the mile splits were coming in at 8:38, 8:36, 8:39, 8:59, 8:33. So if you add the 1/4 mile recovery in, the repeats should be closer to 7:55-8:00.

I then did 2.6 run/walk with our C25K from work. Total of 11.6 for the day.

Finally got outside this weekend and it was awesome.  8 Miles on Saturday and then an easy 3 on Sunday and now back to the deep freeze and the DM..I just love New England...snerk...

Tara Congrats on the Hyannis - race sounds like you did awesome.  the New Bedford half is a decent course.  mile 3 has some rolling hills and then it is pretyy flat until mile 12.  I find that mile the hardest - The first year I did it I did not know about the hills early on so I was focused on mile 12 - I was hurting and the police officer was telling me come on 2 more blocks and then you are flat to the finish;  My response was what were they thinking putting a hill at mile 12!  It is fun and lots of runners use it as test for Boston, so it has grown considerably over the past 4 years.  Usually Team Hoyt starts us off!  You never know what the weather will be either.

Docket - glad you are feeling better!

Red - I hope you are feeling better so you can get out there and run!

Hog - you are rackng up some great mileage

Cyber - Please be careful out there.  I hate running on the DM but it is my winter friend...makes by hubby feel better to that I am safely inside

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Thanks guys - yep, well enough that I managed my 8k run yesterday on the treadmill. I tried to pretend that I hadn't missed a week so I kept the speeds the same on the treadmill. Meant it was hard BUT I did it Smile

Supposed to run 13 km today. I have concluded that training plans are not written with full-time workers and parents of toddlers in mind hahaha! (and even more so when the runner is as slow and pokey as me) I'll go on the treadmill again tonight after Q is in bed.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Zelanie

Tara- Congrats on the great time and even splits for your relay- nicely done!

Redleaf- Glad you're feeling better!

I am still on course with my plan closing out the month. I had one URD last week due to feeling tired, and another this week because I felt like I might be getting sick. But I've had a couple of good runs since, so I honestly think it was either nerves or that maybe I was fighting something (DD was sick over the weelend). In any case, March is bringing tune up races more than workouts, so I will get to gauge how the work I've put in has affected my progress.

Docket_Rocket

Hey, guys.  Recovery is going well.  I am allowed to bike and walk since Week 2 and less than 2 weeks before I can run.  I cannot wait.

Tara, I never had issues with the BP and never took meds.  The BP is now normal (it took a week post surgery for it to get down), so I assume it was the anesthesia effects.

Glad to read all your running escapades, guys.  I will be back soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page