Half Marathon Trainers

November (Read 448 times)

HappyFeat

Happy Saturday! So as it turns out the Trail Running Birthday Party is on Sunday. So this morning, we went running on a stretch of trail I haven't been on before. We ran about 10 miles and it was wonderful. It's a beautiful clear day here mid-40's F, so a bit cool. (Tomorrow may be rainy.) I figured that since I did two back-to-back 10-mile trail runs once before (back in July), I should be able to do it again.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's been snowing since Friday morning. They were wrong about this storm; bigger than expected. My poor husband has shovelled 4x since he got home from work Friday at 5pm. It's still snowing and supposed to let up by tomorrow morning. The city can't get the streets cleared bc it just keeps coming down. Hard to get outside so I'm stuck on the treadmill and I just can't seem to get my head into a run on the TM. It's harder and it's boring. But 2 miles are better than zero, right? Smile

9 mile run at 5am. That's a tough one! Wow!

And HF, nice to hear you are running more trails. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

Howdy!

Had a nice 18 miles today. Felt fairly easy. I am having a little soreness/tightness in my right achilles though. I haven't ever had this before...it went away after mile 5? I stopped to stretch my calves out a few times. Other then that it was a great run. I'm hoping this is not an injury that will continue to get worse??? Simon? Tips for dealing with this? I only have 4 weeks until marathon...2 weeks more of high mileage then 2 weeks of taper...Hoping I can keep it in check until then.

It was warmer today, 75 by the time I was done. I have really been enjoying then 45 degree mornings we had last week. Hopefully, the cooler temps will be back for my weekday runs.

HappyFeat that potluck sounds sooo fun!!

Matt sounds like our marathon training is going right along the same path! My 20 miler will be my last long run in 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to it, as strange as that sounds Smile

Matt I am glad you have been doing better on the long runs, that's a good 18 miler. I have found doing very little the week before a race works well for me, I seem to build up energy to the point I feel light and strong at the start of the race. I once did almost nothing for the entire last week and felt so charged up I could tazer someone by touching them- I ran really well! We probably all have different preferences.

You are really getting into the trail running HF- I saw a license plate holder this morning that said "Get dirty, run trails". It would apply to my son or you.

Sorry to hear about your lousy weather, Meg< it's too early in the year for that. I hate the snowy boots in the hall, runny nose business with shovelling snow but I guess those cross fit people would say it's good for your upper body and I can't say they are wrong!

My first long run in ages, 22kms. in 2:01, quite satisfied. Ordered the Minimus shoes, should be next week.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

You are really getting into the trail running HF

Well one of my prime motivations for running is the feeling of breaking free from external constraints. Certainly running in nature gives you more of break from your daily life than does running down your same old street or the TM. So any time I have someone to go trail running with, I'm thrilled. I also appreciate the meditative quality of running - when you're simply paying attention to your breathing in and out, the feeling of each foot strike, the moment you're in being the only one that matters. I can enjoy this on the TM or the road, but running trails really focuses you in on the moment because paying attention to your foot placement is all important.

You ran quite a speedy Long Run, Simon. Good for you!

vegefrog

Well one of my prime motivations for running is the feeling of breaking free from external constraints. Certainly running in nature gives you more of break from your daily life than does running down your same old street or the TM. So any time I have someone to go trail running with, I'm thrilled. I also appreciate the meditative quality of running - when you're simply paying attention to your breathing in and out, the feeling of each foot strike, the moment you're in being the only one that matters. I can enjoy this on the TM or the road, but running trails really focuses you in on the moment because paying attention to your foot placement is all important.

I like this...a lot! I'm reading a book called Zen and the Art of Running right now. It's pretty great and it's basically talking about exactly that...breathe in and breathe out and run in the moment. I find it impossible to run on a treadmill, luckily I rarely have to with our mild weather. I also do the majority of my miles on a 5 ft wide paved trail that goes through my town...it's a total of 12 miles and I can get to it from my house by running 2 miles through a neighborhood. I can really zone out on it because I know it so well.

One of my buddies just did a 77 mile run in 19 hours, on the Foothills Trail in upstate SC. It's a bit like a tiny AT. He has really inspired me to give trail running a try. After these 2 marathons I think I'm going to try to find some good ones around here to tackle. It will be nice to do something different. Then in June there is a Chattoga 50K that a bunch of my friends do every year. I usually go as support/aid but this year...I am pretty sure I'm gonna give it a go Smile

Right now I've only found a few trails that are like 3 or 5 mile loops, and thats not really worth me driving to while I'm trying to pack all these marathon miles in. I know we have some mountain bike trails though that are runner friendly. I think you might have to pay a small fee, but if I'm using them a lot it will be worth it.

Matt sounds like our marathon training is going right along the same path! My 20 miler will be my last long run in 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to it, as strange as that sounds Smile

My 20 miler was supposed to be the same week as your vege but with travel I had to move it up. I peeked at the log for your 18 miler and you stormed it. It looked like a really strong run take it easy with the soreness. Foam roller maybe? You are lining up for a great race.

Running 20 this weekend was a bit of a slog. I miscalculated on the weather and did not carry enough water, 6 of the first 7 miles were directly into a 15MPH wind and I was feeling it by mile 18. Still, I seemed to have recovered OK today and an easy 5 tomorrow morning should shake out the last of the remaining kinks

The cold front has blown through here and tomorrow morning will be my first run in a long time below freezing. Still it's not a patch on you folks up north. Meg - wow! Hope the weather has picked up a little.

HF - those trails sure sound fun... maybe next year.

Simon - remind me not to stand next to you at the start of a race! Wink

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

an amazing likeness

Just want to give a shout-out that with yesterdays 6 miles of treadmill fun, HappyFeat has logged  over 1,500 mi for the year!

(and in a couple miles will pass through 17,000 miles logged)

Woo-hoo!  clap-clap.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

WOOHOOOOOOOO! HappyFeat that is so AWESOME!!!

So far still feeling good...taking it EASY or trying to on the runs that are supposed to be easy. I keep coming out with every run being around the same pace though. My achilles just gets a little tight for the first mile or two, then I stretch and it feels fine? I think my calves are tight which is causing the soreness. Foam roller is my bestie right now!!! Before AND after runs!!

Matt, you got your 20 out of the way already? Jealous Wink  I'm doing double 13's this weekend. I read somewhere that was a good tactic, the second day you will be tired and it will still help you with late race fatigue? Supposedly doesn't do as much damage to your body.

My friend convinced me to go with him to St. Augustine for a half Sunday, so I'll run an easy 13 here Saturday, then run the race on Sunday. St. Augustine is beautiful so it should be a nice run. I'm going to run it @ MP, which should have me finish exactly 2:00:00. It will be a good test to MAKE me keep that 9:10 pace. I keep drifting to 8:45's in my tempo runs and I don't think I can do that for 26.2.

I decided to stick with my taper plan which is reduce miles but keep the interval workouts, and this:

http://running.competitor.com/2012/11/training/workout-of-the-week-race-week-workouts_20718

backs me up! It's almost my last week exactly, without all the strides and stuff. I haven't been doing those anyway, so why start now.

Something SUPER exciting to report: I have an ultra-running buddy and he invited me to join his 12 person relay team in April Smile It's called the Palmetto 200. Starts in Columbia SC and finishes here on the beach in Charleston. Should be FUN!!! Each person will end up doing almost 17 miles, but you do 3 legs so it's like a 10K at a time then hop in a van until your next turn.

HappyFeat

Just want to give a shout-out that with yesterdays 6 miles of treadmill fun, HappyFeat has logged  over 1,500 mi for the year!

(and in a couple miles will pass through 17,000 miles logged)

Woo-hoo!  clap-clap.

Hey thanks for noticing! This will be my second time reaching this many miles in one year and it really does feel like quite an accomplishment.  Someday I'll get all my miles entered and see what my Grand Total is. I didn't keep good records in the early years though. Now my running log is my hobby, I guess. 

I'm still learning as I go...lesson learned from last weekend...perhaps back-to-back long runs are not so smart after all. My legs are fried. I don't know how you guys do it that can run 18 miles in one go and then carry on with your training week.  That was 18 spread over two days for me and apparently a bit too much. I ran 4 tonight (still not sure why)  and am now going to do my yoga workout to try and smooth some of my frayed edges.

an amazing likeness

My friend convinced me to go with him to St. Augustine for a half Sunday, so I'll run an easy 13 here Saturday, then run the race on Sunday. St. Augustine is beautiful so it should be a nice run. I'm going to run it @ MP, which should have me finish exactly 2:00:00. It will be a good test to MAKE me keep that 9:10 pace. I keep drifting to 8:45's in my tempo runs and I don't think I can do that for 26.2.

I decided to stick with my taper plan which is reduce miles but keep the interval workouts, and this:

http://running.competitor.com/2012/11/training/workout-of-the-week-race-week-workouts_20718

backs me up! It's almost my last week exactly, without all the strides and stuff. I haven't been doing those anyway, so why start now.

VF -- sounds like you're really nailing this training cycle, and the results of your racing results speak to that as well.

I agree with you on the taper -- keep the same pattern and roll back the duration and intensity.  That's worked well for me when I've done it.

At the same time, you're starting to get a nagging achilles...so you'll want to really take care of that.  Ice, ice, ice. You've got the training right now  to get your marathon goal. I'd be more comfortable if you were moving into more of a maintenance phase and starting to build towards being fresh on 12/8.

Looking at your training plan, I'd consider the following:

12/2 drop back to 5-6mi

12/6 drop this run, take 2 days off pre-race. Let your legs store glycogen without depletion from even a short run.

12/7 easy, easy jog. 2 mi. 

Not that you asked or anything.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

MT thanks for the tips!

I DO need the advice! I think I'll take you up on it!

Ice the achilles? I haven't done that...but I will!!!!!!!

So glad I have you guys Smile

HF hope you enjoyed your yoga. I went to a new class last night and I LOVED the instructor. I will def make that part of my regular schedule. If everyone did yoga, I think the world would be a better place Smile

I like this...a lot! I'm reading a book called Zen and the Art of Running right now.

I actually dropped some Zen on someone today...in the locker-room,  guy noticed me putting on the long sleeves and asked incredulously: "You're going OUTSIDE today?!?"

And I looked at him with a straight face, and said "Cold is not good or bad. Cold is just cold."

This was sufficient to end the conversation. Then I had a great workout. Like really great. 

Anyway, carry on.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            HappyFeat

I actually dropped some Zen on someone today...in the locker-room,  guy noticed me putting on the long sleeves and asked incredulously: "You're going OUTSIDE today?!?"

And I looked at him with a straight face, and said "Cold is not good or bad. Cold is just cold."

This was sufficient to end the conversation. Then I had a great workout. Like really great. 

Anyway, carry on.

Excellent!Big grin

vegefrog

Anyway, carry on.

VERY AWESOME!! This same philosophy got me though my run in the rain the other day!!