Half Marathon Trainers

Need some motivation (Read 358 times)

I don't post on here often, but I lurk a lot, and I need some motivation BAD!! I am running my first half in 2 months (Dec 9). I started "training" about 4 weeks ago, and was doing well until last week, when my training buddy stopped b/c of illness and I took a sympathy week off with her. Bad idea. I am so doubting that I can do this! My training schedule looks so intimidating to me! And I had a crappy 4 mile run the other day...which makes me feel like I will never make it 13 miles. Plus I just got new shoes b/c my other ones were worn, and these have much more support but I feel so heavy in them!! (Would y'all like some cheese to go along with my whine?) Tell me I can do this. And tell me to get off my rump and train!! Roll eyes
    Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
      I don't post on here often, but I lurk a lot, and I need some motivation BAD!! I am running my first half in 2 months (Dec 9). I started "training" about 4 weeks ago, and was doing well until last week, when my training buddy stopped b/c of illness and I took a sympathy week off with her. Bad idea. I am so doubting that I can do this! My training schedule looks so intimidating to me! And I had a crappy 4 mile run the other day...which makes me feel like I will never make it 13 miles. Plus I just got new shoes b/c my other ones were worn, and these have much more support but I feel so heavy in them!! (Would y'all like some cheese to go along with my whine?) Tell me I can do this. And tell me to get off my rump and train!! Roll eyes
      You can do it, Courtney. Get off your rump and train. We have bad runs sometimes. Just know that the next good one is just around the corner. I had the same fears you did when I ran my first HM back in May. Keep working with the plan and slowly build up those weekend long runs. You will get there.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You CAN do it Courtney! Mike is right about having bad runs somtimes and good runs sometimes, butI think that if you complete the training program, that 13.1 mile run will be one of the good ones. You will definitely make it. I bet when you first started running that 10K seemed so far away, and you did great at that! As for the week off, just chalk it up to extra recovery time and push ahead in your training. What schedule are you following? And if the new shoes feel heavy, just think that they are making your legs even stronger so that when it comes time to race you will be able to do it. Get off your rump and run! And when you have your next great run and feel really good about the half, come back in here and tell us!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yup to what Mike and Shaunna have said! My last 2 weeks of running have stunk, but I know that I need to keep going -- and I'm feeling better (cooler weather will certainly help). You have 2 months, you can do this! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If you need more motivation, I have about 8-9 co-workers running the half and full. Maybe you can run with them and I can follow you all with a bull-horn - telling ya'll to HTFU! Hmm. I think I've found a new mission. Must find bullhorn.

If you need more motivation, I have about 8-9 co-workers running the half and full. Maybe you can run with them and I can follow you all with a bull-horn - telling ya'll to HTFU! Hmm. I think I've found a new mission. Must find bullhorn.
              yeah...that would probably work!! Big grin i need you to do that NOW though!
              Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
                yeah...that would probably work!! Big grin i need you to do that NOW though!
                Big grin Have you looked into the half marathon training program put on by the Dallas Running Club? I get occasional emails about it - but they have group training runs at White Rock on the weekends. The training program is free to DRC members (membership cost is $20 per year). Seriously, though - you have plenty of time to get from where you are now (your recent 6 miler) to being able to run the half marathon in 2 months. I'll look around for a bullhorn after this weekend.

Thanks everyone. I got out this morning and ran 7 miles at the park. It was a decent run, and I feel great now. It was a mental challenge too b/c that's the farthest I've ever run alone...usually my friend that got me into this is with me (she's running the half with me too). So I had to motivate myself mentally as well as physically.
                    I was just about to ask how you were doing when I saw today's 8 miler. Nice job!