Half Marathon Trainers

Race Report-Hartwell Half. (Read 407 times)

I must compliment the organisers on a first class job, and thank the hordes of helpful volunteers who stood in the rain for hours, and stayed cheerful through the whole thing. Course was new this year, out and back instead of loop, rolling countryside, rain and 50F. This is a smallish local race, 258 runners, nice friendly atmosphere. I was hoping for 1:45, and reached the turnaround just under 52 minutes, so felt it should be easy as the course is a bit more uphill on the "out" so the "back" leg should be a bit faster. Decided to go for a PB and ran hard, saw the clock at the finish read 1:41:30 as I crossed the line, really exhausted. Official chip timed finish shows on the website as 1:43:25, so a bit of a let-down, but generally pretty happy. Went to *$ afterwards with my son, so a good day overall. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Great Run Simon. So why such a desparity between your watch and the oficial time. I'd check with them. Were they using timing chips or just bibs? You may find that they are off a runner or two, trust me it happens. I've helped a friend fo mine time road races before and crazy things happen. By the way, what is *$ with your son? Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Starbucks! Coffee- sorry. Actually my Garmin agreed with the chip timing, except that I was too exhausted to remember to push the button at the end! So the fancy digital finish line clock was off by a couple of minutes. My first 10k was 49:24 and second was 48:30, so this gives me 5minutes and 31 seconds to finish the last 1 km and change, which is clearly about right. I have no problem with the time they gave me, in fact I am quite pleased. Simon.

jules2

Well done Simon, when you planning on breaking your PB it must be on the cards?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Yes, Jules, I am going for under 100 (nice round number!) minutes in October, on a faster course. I was thinking 1:38 might be possible, but I was really trashed on Sunday, had to lean on the fence at the finish to stay upright, so I am not sure I can get more than 5 minutes off that time. Perhaps better training will help.

Prince of Fatness

Nice work, Simon. If you can get your mileage up a little higher and hold it there for a few months you'd have a real good shot at 1:40.

Not at it at all. 

congrats on the PR Simon, You are speedy! Ayola

Recalculating...

jules2

Yes, Jules, I am going for under 100 (nice round number!) minutes in October, on a faster course. I was thinking 1:38 might be possible, but I was really trashed on Sunday, had to lean on the fence at the finish to stay upright, so I am not sure I can get more than 5 minutes off that time. Perhaps better training will help.
                  After a decent half I generally can't walk properly for two / three days afterwards

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.