Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers- October 18 and 19 (Read 14 times)

Zelanie

It looks like we are at the peak of fall racing season, with lots of events on the calendar for this week.  We are hopefully early enough in the season to avoid wintry weather, hopefully even in the NE, but late enough not to worry about lingering summery temperatures.  Fleet feet and good luck to all of this weekend's racers!

Enjoy your get together, redleaf, Teresa, and Meg!

October 18, 2014 schaeb Hershey Half Marathon 13.1 miles Hershey, PA 2:00    
    October 19, 2014 Canadian Meg Toronto Waterfront Marathon (doing HM) 13.1 miles Toronto, ON. CANADA <2:25    
    October 19, 2014 redleaf Toronto Waterfront Marathon (doing HM) 13.1 miles Toronto, ON sub-2:30   PR attempt
    October 19, 2014 Teresadfp Toronto Waterfront Marathon (doing HM) 13.1 miles Toronto, ON. CANADA 2:30    
    October 19, 2014 milktruck Harvest Half Marathon 13.1 miles Biddeford, ME 1:42: xx   dirt trail course
    October 19, 2014 hog4life 4 Bridges Half 13.1 miles Chattanooga, TN 2:00   same goal as last year
    hog4life

Good luck to everyone.

Oh shoot, I forgot to pull my entry for this weekend. I'm not doing the 4 Bridges Half.

Docket_Rocket

So many racers!  Please report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Just home from Toronto now. First race away from home, second half in 16 days, third half in 42 days. First time I've run a whole race with someone else (my sister). Biggest race I've done: 25K in this one compared to 4500 in my previous biggest race. First time my Garmin has completely freaked out for the first two miles of the race and left me scrambling to figure out the pace. Yeah, not great! I suspect my signal was bouncing off the buildings or maybe combined with running with 25k people. I'm not thrilled with my time (2:23:57 which is 83 seconds slower than my PR), but it was overall a pretty decent race.  Faster than my September race, slower than my last half. I felt better before I got home and saw my stats as to how I placed, my splits, etc. (One of my goals was under 11mm pace and I averaged 11mm pace because of my first two miles.) I need to get stronger. I raced better and that has come with experience, but I need to get stronger. Also recovery was really good.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

2 weeks after your first HM, you ran about a minute slower than your PR half?  I think you ROCKED it!  Also, maybe the reason that you were able to run that well was that you took it easy in those first few miles.  I say congratulations!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've had a decent night of sleep in my own bed, even though I was up crazy early because home is 2 hours behind Toronto time-wise. I've got some perspective. A lot of firsts going on and I had a chance to play in my running log. This was my second fastest half I've run, second only to the one two weeks ago. No shame in that! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

redleaf

2 weeks after your first HM, you ran about a minute slower than your PR half?  I think you ROCKED it!  Also, maybe the reason that you were able to run that well was that you took it easy in those first few miles.  I say congratulations!

What she said! AND Meg looked fantastic afterwards Smile

As I posted elsewhere: My incredibly short RR: I had my absolutely best awful race to date Big grin

Our online group picks a race each year that people try and get to as a meet up. I suggested Toronto and they took me up on it. Between strep (Q's and mine) and my shoulder and knee and just basic laziness my training went all to hell (as it usually does) but the weekend was wonderful and I finished the race.

I have another half in a few weeks and I'm just going to worry about getting it done between now and then - 3 short easy runs a week; 1 short faster run and 1 long very easy run. Then the half.

Then rest I think. I won a month membership at a very chi-chi city gym and will start that right after Vegas.

AND then I signed up for a 30K race that happens to be on my birthday (end of March). WTF was I thinking?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lisa, you are going to rock Around the Bay. Smile And if you ever want a really flat race, you can come to Sask and run a half with me. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

I ran just under 1:44 last Sunday for my half marathon, posting a 1:43:58.

Started at fairly comfortable pace for first 6mi, then my lack of training miles really caught up with me from 8mi to finish. Couldn't hold the pace after 8, and lost a bunch of positions from 10 in. Tendonitis in left shin was an issue, forcing me to flat-foot and not push off, then it went to sharp pain in last 5 miles.

Race was on a rail-to-trail section of the Eastern Trail. packed dirt. Textbook fall day with cool temps (45F), low grey clouds which brightened to some blue, damp leaf litter underfoot and red and amber maple leaves fluttering in the air as the north breeze picked up on the back half.

Meg - thanks for doing the weekly Intrepid topics while I was awol.

Run 6.5 miles that-a-way, turn around, come back...

When you get back...we'll record your time:

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.