Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - April 12 & 13 (Read 17 times)

Zelanie

Hey guys, not a good day for me. I just had terrible stomach cramps the whole time, plus it was super hot and sunny (for what we're used to).  My friend got heat stroke during the race and they had to call an ambulance.  The whole thing was really scary.  I wrote up a longer report at the Beginners and Beyond group, not sure if you guys want a repost here.

lsp

Lump Off

Aaah Zel.  I thought about you yesterday during my run.  It just heated up here in the past week and the pollen is everywhere.  I went out for a super easy 10 miles and cut it short to 7 and barely survived that.  I was hoping that you had not experienced a weather shift in OR but I see I was wrong.

I know it takes me a few days or weeks to adjust to the heat.  I'm always so baffled at how hard it is because I can remember running in the midst of the summer heat with no problems.  But those first few runs are just awful; and during a race - yuck.

I hope your friend is doing better today.  I ran past a runner getting carted off on a stretcher during a race last year.  I didn't even know her and I was so upset by seeing that.  You are right, it is just very scary.

Sorry to hear you had GI issues Zel.  No way to run fast with those.  Hope your friend is recovering and you are putting this one behind you.

Ready, go.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry about the tough race, Zel.

Mitch, great job on the back to back!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

RR is up.

Zelanie

MT, I did try the 1-2 step Garmin trick, and it worked perfectly.  My Garmin time was within a second of my chip time even.

an amazing likeness

I can completely relate to the challenge of racing on a day that is way warmer than anything you've trained in Zelanie.  I had a goal race last year where race day temps were 70s at the start and climbing, when the warmest training days I'd run in were in the 50s. It was over by mile 5, and once you get overheated, there's not recovery -- no amount of easing pace and/or pouring in water gets the train back on the tracks.

Bummer.  But...there's always another day and if you can get to another half in the next 2 - 3 weeks, all your training will still be onboard and ready.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Aw Zel - that sucks.  You just never know.  Hope your friend is feeling better, so scary.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

It's tough to find races around here that fit with my schedule since I work Saturday mornings. But there is a 10K in a couple of weeks. I'm actually thinking of going in without a goal at all and running it with my watch set to some sort of useless screen, and just trying to pay attention to how I feel. Sort of recalibrate myself.