Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - Feb 11 (Read 528 times)

Howdy folks

Welcome to Feb (Already!!)

For those of you in the Northern Hemisphere - how's the cold treating you? How's it affecting your training & racing?

I'm finding myself on the treadmill about half the time (miles) right now!

Signed up for my first race of '11 - a 10k in a few weeks time.

After that we'll see if a spring HM is realistic.

What about those of you down-under? How's summer treating you?

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Summer is being pretty lovely thank you - a bit windy at the moment (the remains of Tropical Cyclone Wilma).  Doing so much running on the treadmill must be hard.  We are lucky that it never really gets cold/icy/snowy enough to have to do that.

First half marathon of 2011 is less than 3 weeks away now.  This one is pretty special for me. My parents will be here visiting from the UK, only the second time since I moved over here.  Last time they saw me run a half marathon it took me 2hrs11.  This time I'm hoping for somewhere around 1hr32 (assuming the tropical cyclone has moved on!)

12 degreesC below zero with high winds today. Snowfall over the next 18 hours expected to be 20-30cms which is 8-12inches!

I am definitely looking forward to spring.

My daughter in Africa reports high temperatures, 40-50 C range, 100-120F plus lots of rain.

Good luck in your race Mandy,thats a great time if you can do that- in fact under 1:35 is a great time!

Too bad you are on the treadmill, Matt, but at least you are running.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I should have mentioned I plan to run a 10k on May 1st.

It is a fast course, I plan to break 45 minutes, which might put me in the first thousand finishers of 12,000 or so.

Also, I will be in the 60-64 age group this year, so I hope for a top 5 or 6 finish among about 100 plus in my age group, depends on how many fast guys show up!

Simon.

First half marathon of 2011 is less than 3 weeks away now.  This one is pretty special for me. My parents will be here visiting from the UK, only the second time since I moved over here.  Last time they saw me run a half marathon it took me 2hrs11.  This time I'm hoping for somewhere around 1hr32 (assuming the tropical cyclone has moved on!)

That is a HUGE improvement! I'm in a similar situation: I'm doing my first HM since January 2008 in two weeks, and my parents will also be visiting (actually, technically I'll be visiting them as they're staying in the desert near Los Angeles for a bit and the race is there). I'm definitely not in PR condition, though.

Loves the outdoors

Sick of the wind, but trying not to complain as I know we have it great compared to dealing with snow/ice. I can't even imagine running in those conditions. When I see snow I go all childish and have to throw snowballs at everyone.

I'm doing my first half this month. Same race as Mandy, so I am busy fretting about whether I can make the distance. I'm hoping for a cool, non-windy day which is probably asking a bit much. At least the no wind part given the race is in Wellington. Listening to the radio though, Northern Queensland (Australia) has a Category 5 cyclone about to hit, 280km/hr winds, scary stuff! So our gale force winds at the moment (gusting to 110km/hr) are pretty mild in comparison. I am planning on a 5km race tonight on the waterfront, but if it's this windy I won't bother.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

I regularly read Australian newspapers, Yasi is a terrible threat to the Cairns and Townsville area.

I have read about the museum where there is an exhibit of photos of the last serious cyclone, and an audio tape of the wind which is apparently

one of the most spine-chilling things you could ever hear.

After the recent flooding this is an awful thing to happen, many lives will be lost.

Putting up with a little snow is a minor inconvenience.

Loves the outdoors

I regularly read Australian newspapers, Yasi is a terrible threat to the Cairns and Townsville area.

I have read about the museum where there is an exhibit of photos of the last serious cyclone, and an audio tape of the wind which is apparently

one of the most spine-chilling things you could ever hear.

After the recent flooding this is an awful thing to happen, many lives will be lost.

Putting up with a little snow is a minor inconvenience.

I listened to that audio you are talking about when I was in Darwin earlier this year. It was an incredibly scary, awful thing to listen to. I really feel for those who've just been through cyclone Yasi. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

About to wind back into it after my log admits that I only ran 5km in January!! hehe

Back into it tonight, have to uphold my corporate team 1st place that i got last year in round the bays 8.4km run.  More importantly I have to try stay in front of my kids!

So some base building for a month, then a couple of weeks speed work mixed in.  Then i will pick a half marathon to target winter/spring

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Ringmaster

I can't imagine training in snow and ice. You'd laugh at me, running in tights if it dips below 50! It's already in the 80s here, but we're hoping it's just a few days for now. My first "race" is the last weekend of the month. It's more of an endurance even than a true race--a 15k and 5k on Saturday and a half on Sunday. It's my first event coming back from injury so I'm taking it easy.

Mandy, what a treat to have your parents come watch! And what a great improvement! I hope you have a great day for the race, with good weather for runners and spectators.

NZ, I hope your first half is just perfect. I still remember the thrill of finishing the distance for the first time, faster than I'd hoped. I hope your legs pull off the same feat!

That's quite a picture, vino . . . No grief for the low mileage in January. Plenty of time to build up the miles. It's funny. Here, we have to do all our running now. After my race at the end of this month, there'll be no more local half marathons until October/November. Too hot!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

well 4 days running in a row :-)

speed is gone but im not worrying about that at the moment, just gonna get some km under the belt this month...nothing too long, nothing too fast, just consistant 5-6x a week and throw some cross training in

ease back into it then look at a more structured programme as the weather cools off

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Very little running for me over the last few weeks- sometimes driving to work I see people out getting in some miles and feel guilty, really nothing wrong with me but I have not had one of those easy, light, floating sort of runs in a while, and I hate winter!

I have spent many hours doing research on the internet for a series of articles for my car club magazine, talking to people by email, writing and editing. Don`t get paid for this but enjoy it so....

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yep, struggling with the winter (those -40*C days are just not great ones for solo runs outside) and my mileage is in the tank, but I'm trying to work on it. Had my longest run today in too long and it was great.  (It was way above normal temps and really slushy.) Here's hoping I can build on it. I've decided I want to do a 10K in May if they hold it again and I'll try a proper training program for that to see if I can get some success behind me before I start half training in June. I'll do the same half this fall I did for my first last year.

There's something comforting in hearing how all of you are doing and the challenges.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Haha

I have the opposite. Didnt go to the 5km race series last night as it was just insanely hot and humid.  On top of that recovering from a 10.5km hike the day before.

Just all added up to Pinot Noir in front of TV sounding better

NZ's hottest month ever....

http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10706290&ref=rss

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Weather is a funny thing- no matter what you have you always want something else!

I should imagine if it was 72 F and sunny we would all be hoping for a good rainstorm...

Got in 10 easy miles on Sunday, 3 slow and 2 at tempo on Tuesday, 5 easy on Wednesday. Going to be anmother low month I suspect.

I am turning 60 on Monday, so am going to start thinking about setting new PBs for post-60, i need to improve on my 5k and 10k times. There is a 10k on a fast course at the end of April, and I am at least 10lbs lighter than when I last ran it 3 years ago, so I think I should get going and register for that.

Good runs to everyone!