Half Marathon Trainers

Getting back on the horse (Read 41 times)

juniordo1

Hi, some of you may have met/communicated with me in the main forums and others possibly at the RW forum.

I still consider myself a fairly new runner even though I've run 3 half marathons and 1 full marathon since beginning running in the fall of 2009. Throughout all of training and racing I've discovered that I much prefer racing the half marathon distance. My PR  last year of 2:03:46 put a much bigger smile on my face than my 4:48 marathon.

OK, Getting back on the horse: I came down with a terrible case of PF in my right foot following my first marathon. 4 months later I ran a PR for the HM on that injured foot.The PF turned into what the doctor described only as "a stress reaction" in that heel. I took most of 8 weeks off and nowI I"m working my way back into shape.

I joined this group and can only hope that you folks can help keep me grounded and focused on my half marathon this year. I'm looking to shave off at least 3:47 from my PR and go sub 2:00 on a course I've raced twice. I've got until August to train conservatively so I'm hoping to avoid injury/reinjury altogether.

Here's to a great 2013!

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Glad to hear you are getting back into it, Junior.

I have done 7 half marathons, only a few 5k and 10k, and no marathon yet, after six years of running.

I do like the half as you run fast enough that it is a real race- I think for me the marathon will be more of an endurance contest, I plan to run my first in October if I can get fit enough by then.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

juniordo1

SimonR,

How is your progress towards a full going? I still plan to attempt a sub 2:00 half in August but I recently decided to give a full another shot in October. I've been struggling with my half attempt and decided a PR at the full was still impotant to me as well.

The speedwork hasn't been an issue for me but getting out the door is a different story. I know its sounds silly but the work towards sub 2:00 half makes me want a PR at the full more ( I changed jobs and switched shifts which has provided additional training opportunities).

juniordo1

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

hog4life

Hi junior, I'm Mitch. I have done 4 halves and hope to do my first full in December, I'm already registered. My first half was 2:08, with the most recent in February being a 1:51 and change. I too am dealing with PF, and am having good days and bad days. I recently took 2 weeks off dealing with a bit of some knee issues, which helped the foot too.

The schedule change at your job should be a big help getting you out the door. I'm in the other boat, my schedule just changed too, which will make it more difficult for me to run at times. The summer heat of N Alabama makes it hard for me to get out the door more than anything else. What factors make it difficult for you?