Half Marathon Trainers

Welcome to 2013! January Thread! (Read 321 times)

hog4life

Awesome 9 miles for me this morning with 6 around 8:20-8:40. I looked at the Garmin a few times and seen, 7:47, 9:17, 8:05, 7:17, 8:35. Pretty much all over the place, I want to target my upcoming HM at 8:45, and not sure what will happen. I try to run by feel, and seem to "catch" myself going up or down. Is this common?

Went to the pulmonoligist this morning after running, and have my biopsy scheduled for next Wednesday. He said the spots don't "appear" to be cancer, but more of an infection, or fungus. I feel a little relieved but am still nervous. He said keep running too!!

Mitch I find the Garmin is great over a kilometer or a mile, but instant readings are subject to many sources of error. For example, you run past a few trees, the timer function keeps going but the satellite signal is blocked so the pace reading is extremely slow, then you get an open area and the pace readout corrects itself, so it looks like a huge burst of speed.

Over the longer distance these errors average out and you get accurate information.

Hope the health news is good!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Zelanie

Jackie- My recovery paces are faster than my 5K pace used to be!  The only difference is time. Smile  I hope you enjoy your race this weekend.

Jerry- Awesome job on the repeats!  I think you'll have more than you think you do for your HM.

Mitch- Continued good thoughts for good results and something easily treatable.  I'm not sure what the display options are for your model, but I have mine set to show average current lap pace instead of current pace.  That way I can tell about how fast I'm running now, but the number is less jumpy.  And I try not to believe any number I see there in the first .15 of a new mile.

Wow - This thread sure shows how we've grown! It's great!

A guy used to be able to drop a check-in to everyone once every couple of weeks and now... I feel like a complete slacker! Wink

Continued welcomes to all our new HMTs!

Everyone seems to be doing well at the start of the year - it's great to read how y'all are getting on.

Vege - Congrats. Big grin You thought that this year BQ would mean 3:35 Boston Qualifying and it's going to end up being 3:35am Baby Quietening!! Awesome news.

Mitch - do you have your Garmin set to instantaneous pace (just "pace" on the Garmin)  or "Lap Pace". I have my Garmin set to auto split every mile then the only time that "Lap Pace" gives me those type of erratic readings are in the first 100yds or so of every mile then it settles down to give a more consistent reading. Not great for intervals obviously but for tempo or easy runs it works for me. Good luck on Wednesday.

Well done on the intervals Zelanie!

I'm back from the UK and have been out a couple of times this week. I will try and get something longer in this weekend. I am supposed to start the RH plan too this Monday and while I will likely start it I may have to back out the speed work until I can sort my hip out. I still have this nagging Glute-Med strain and it gets worse when I push the pace. HappyF helped me find some good exercises so I am hoping that I can rehab it over the next few weeks then get back to some speed work too.

Run strong this weekend everyone. Have a good one.

MTA: Spelling

2017 Goals
          1) Run more than 231 miles
          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Mitch, good luck on Wednesday we're all praying for you.

I ran inside today since I'm fighting off a cold, had planned on running 3 on the TM wound up 4.75

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

LR day.

Quick check in - I've gotten all of my scheduled runs in so far. I'm way slower than most of you here... I've modified the RH plan for my May HM the plan starts at the end of January. Until then 5 runs a week, 3 short runs -  2 runs between 60-90 minutes - and stretching.

Happy weekend, A

Recalculating...

Quick check in - I've gotten all of my scheduled runs in so far. I'm way slower than most of you here... I've modified the RH plan for my May HM the plan starts at the end of January. Until then 5 runs a week, 3 short runs -  2 runs between 60-90 minutes - and stretching.

Happy weekend, A

Recalculating...

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

9.3 LR on North Branch bike path.  Tried for 11:00 mpm, ended up at 10:50, with 1 short  break.  DW does not like that slow pace, but she did it anyway.  Think she needs a new RP.  Otherwise, non-stop and ran the one bridge both ways. That will be 26 miles for the week, including 2 interval miles.  This week doesn't look too good for another long run and looks like we will be running in circles and TM intervals/hills for a while.  So that's week 2 of Higdon Intermediate.  So far, so good.

hog4life

A, I'm using RH plan now, just finished week 5. What modifications are you making? I've made some for my cycle too, so was just curious.

Just finished my LR, didn't make it to the 12-14, but got in 10, having tummy problems today. My week ends on Saturday, so 35 and change for the week.

Zelanie

Matt- Good luck with the exercises and getting started on the plan!

Ayola- Welcome!  I used to be much slower, too.  Sometimes I forget that I'm not (as) slow because it still feels pretty much the same.

Jerry- Congrats on finishing up Week 2!  Nice LR!

me- I guess I'm officially out of my funk from last week.  Today's LR went great!  I definitely worked on the mental stuff from last week.  I set a range of miles that I was aiming for, plus ran an out-and-back instead of loops so that I would have a definite turn around point.  I also ran later in the day because I seem to feel better on those runs than earlier ones.  It was a struggle making my legs slow down for the first few, but that definitely paid off.  Then I pushed back up to my "normal" pace after mile 6.  Total for the day- 10.29, my longest ever.

Added bonus was that at mile 9.9 there was a guy out with his dog that said, "You are hardcore!  Way to go!" as I ran by.  I guess because it is REALLY cold for this area right now?  In any case, I need to get that guy to be out for the end of all of my runs, I think.  Maybe I'll just run past his house and tell myself that I'm hardcore. Cool

Good to see so many of us running on specific training plans and training for specific goals- and making progress!

Matt take it easy with the injury, pushing too hard too early may cause a setback.

Ayola I would be interested to hear more about your jazz interest- what specific type of jazz? Are you a musician as well as one who appreciates the music? Though not in any way musical I quite like "cool" jazz myself, the bluesy, smoky nightclub sort of stuff.

Solid week, Mitch, good long runs Jerry and Zelanie.

After a nap on the couch I got out for 12 or so, so a decent week if only 4 runs. I must get back to 5 runs, and should be taking advantage of the mild weather. No cross training this week.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

15K Hot Chocolate run for me in Long Branch today.

Philliefan33

I did my first 10-mile LR on Saturday.  It took just under 2 hrs (11:45 pace overall).  Breathing-wise I was fine, but I really felt the fatigue in the last mile -- my legs / hips / core were tired!  I'm glad I have three months to work on that before my HM.

hog4life

I did my first 10-mile LR on Saturday.  It took just under 2 hrs (11:45 pace overall).  Breathing-wise I was fine, but I really felt the fatigue in the last mile -- my legs / hips / core were tired!  I'm glad I have three months to work on that before my HM.

Phillie, are you taking any fuel? GU, Gatorade? You should start trying things on the training runs, it will help as you start getting tired in the latter miles.