Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - December 2011 (Read 509 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Congratulations to Matt -- very fine race indeed! Can't wait to ready the RR.

Vino - your girls are awesome!!  I can't think of a single 13-year-old I've ever heard of who could do what they've accomplished. I watched all the videos - gorgeous country you live in. What a wonderful bonding experience for all of you your adventures must be.

x2

Vino, I love the video. What a scenic trip and something I'm sure none of you will ever forget. Makes me wonder what I'll do with my kids when they are a little older (my oldest is 7).

Matt, that's fantastic! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Thanks folks.

Can't live up to vino's report, that is awesome Craig, but I posted my RR here, in the "Race Reports" thread.

I'm off for a cold beer and then bed.... and I am taking a few days off from running... well, at least two.

Keep on trucking y'all, only a few more weeks left to close out 2011 with style. Smile

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Way to go Matt!

Craig, very cool to have that film to document the experience, though it looks unforgettable regardless.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Nice work Matt and I loved the report. Especially the feeling you described in the chute and seeing your placement improvement at the end. Oh, and you hit your goal, if you use the old BQ rules (drop the seconds). 

Me: I'm starting to get a bit more consistent, though I want to add another day to my week. I've been getting in hard runs, long runs, but not enough easy runs. This week is ten weeks out from my next goal race (half) and am getting excited about that.

Me: I'm starting to get a bit more consistent, though I want to add another day to my week. I've been getting in hard runs, long runs, but not enough easy runs. This week is ten weeks out from my next goal race (half) and am getting excited about that.

Peter, consistency is the key word for me too - when I get feet out the door 6 days, for months on end, times come down. Easy is such a big part of being able to do that though (something I learned hard way this summer). This go-round I'm focusing on deliberate "easiness" on easy days. This now means I wear a watch, something I never used to do.

Anyway, I'll follow your training with interest, as your Feb goal is close to mine (or what mine is right now) for April 1. You following any sort of plan?

I kind of have a loose plan, one hlll day (found great new route yesterday), one tempo, one long, and 3 deliberate easies.

Kevin-I'm not not really following a rigid plan. For a while I've just been enjoying doing whatever I want. I need to change that, at least somewhat, in the next 10 weeks. My loose plan is similar to yours: one long run, one hard run (tempo, hills or intervals), two easier runs and some cross training. Maybe even a 5th day, if my legs hold up.

I recently broke out my HRM for the first time in a while and noticed some interesting results. On my long run, I was able to very comfortably maintain a pace that is much faster than I've ever done (at same HR). However, in my tempo run last night, my pace was slightly slower than I'd expected at my normal tempo HR. Those are only two runs so might not mean anything, but I'm going to continue to watch. The good news is that I've gotten myself to the point where a 10 mile run at what in the past would have been a very  hard effort, is very easy for me now, with no hangover.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Ran a tidy 10km training run on Wednesday night in 49 minutes odd which is a good time on the course we do but unfortunately it flared up some hot spots I got on my big 57km into a couple of blisters! grrrr.  Oh well it is the relaxing part of the year for me.  I will have a couple of days off running and do the good old xmas preperations that have taken a back seat

No such problems for my daughter Ashley who yesterday ran 7th in a field of 16 (less than 5 seconds off 4th place) at Auckland Champs for 1500 metres in a PB time of 5:29.  Her 57km didn't hinder her!!  Very proud daddy at the moment!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

I went out to run 3 miles on Thursday last week and only managed 2 very slow ones. Sore after the marathon still. But I managed almost 6 on Saturday and will be out for my usual 5 tomorrow morning. Slowly getting back into it.

All this talk of next year's races reminds me that I need to sort out the 2012 race calendar thread - I'll get that done this week!

Andy - are you seriously doing to run a HM on an indoor track? Won't you get dizzy?

Had a good chance to look back on 2011 this week. All in all, I think I have had my best running year ever. I hit all 3 of my running goals:

1. Break 2 hours in a HM again - I ran a PR 1:52:19 in March
                  2. Run 1000 miles for the year - I should hit over 2000km (1243 miles) by Dec 31st. This was a big one for me as I have maxed out at 900 miles the last 2 years. Long term consistency (apart from the month we moved house) was the goal and, though I am not quite up there with HappyFeat, it's a nice improvement for me
                  3. Run my first Full Marathon - Loved. It! Nuff said!

I had a weight loss goal but have failed on that due to my runner's diet of entitlement:

"I'm training for a marathon so I can have that doughnut/burger/cheesything/beer"

I never even really got serious about it so it never happened. Could do better on that front.

Next year, not set yet... heck, I don't even have a training plan for this week and that's not usual for me.

I want to .... stay over 1000 miles (probably 2000km again),  run a trail race, another marathon, another race with my wife, a fun run with my kids, a HM under 1:50 and one of those "adventure" runs (warrior dash etc...) ... and probably a bunch of other running stuff!

I need to .... lose some weight (seriously!), stretch more, do more core work, do some speed work, get more consistent

Will probably make some key goals out of the wants and needs over the next few weeks.

Hope you are clicking the miles (or km) off for December folks.

Happy Trails

MTA: Spelling etc...

2017 Goals

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Had a good chance to look back on 2011 this week. All in all, I think I have had my best running year ever. I hit all 3 of my running goals:

1. Break 2 hours in a HM again - I ran a PR 1:52:19 in March
                    2. Run 1000 miles for the year - I should hit over 2000km (1243 miles) by Dec 31st. This was a big one for me as I have maxed out at 900 miles the last 2 years. Long term consistency (apart from the month we moved house) was the goal and, though I am not quite up there with HappyFeat, it's a nice improvement for me
                    3. Run my first Full Marathon - Loved. It! Nuff said!

I had a weight loss goal but have failed on that due to my runner's diet of entitlement:

"I'm training for a marathon so I can have that doughnut/burger/cheesything/beer"

I never even really got serious about it so it never happened. Could do better on that front.

Next year, not set yet... heck, I don't even have a training plan for this week and that's not usual for me.

I want to .... stay over 1000 miles (probably 2000km again),  run a trail race, another marathon, another race with my wife, a fun run with my kids, a HM under 1:50 and one of those "adventure" runs (warrior dash etc...) ... and probably a bunch of other running stuff!

I need to .... lose some weight (seriously!), stretch more, do more core work, do some speed work, get more consistent

Will probably make some key goals out of the wants and needs over the next few weeks.

Hope you are clicking the miles (or km) off for December folks.

Happy Trails

MTA: Spelling etc...

Way to go with your goals! I think it's so important to write goals down so you can track where you are. I'm nowhere near the mileage you are, but I'm happily closing in on my 2011 mileage, currently at 631 with a stretch goal of 650 miles. This is my highest mileage year yet and a year where I brought my 10k PR down twice and my half PR as well.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Congrats Meg and Matt on having great years (and others, as well). I'm not quite ready to summarize and list 2012 goals, but it has been a good year.

vegefrog

I hear ya! I only started running in September so the pounds were coming off without the need to monitor my beer consumption, LOL. Now that I've been running for 5 months  that has tapered off. I still have at least another 10lbs to go, so I'm gonna have to change my mindset.

I sometimes head out the door on Sat/Sun thinking "ok run at least 8 miles, because then those beers won't count". If ONLY I would run those miles and not drink the beer...I might have a flat stomach!! Wink

OK, things’ll probably get a bit hectic with Xmas and time off coming, and we’re close enough now to the end of 2011 for my thoughts on the running year.

This was a pretty good one (would have been a great one if not for the injury).

- I ran more than double the mileage from 2010, and got out the door 80 more times (so far).

- 5K PR by 42 seconds (and ran under 18 minutes which was my first goal this year)

- Injured myself, but learned a lot in the process. This caused the one big bummer of the year – having to bail on the half marathon. Fortunately, there’s always another one…

- Ran in 20 cities in 9 US states and Canada (including RI, VT and BC which were all new for me).

For 2012:

- First order of business will be the HM. April 1. Want to race this and race it well, hopefully under 1:30 (and ideally 1:26/7ish).

- No mileage goal, but stay smart/healthy goal of continuing to remind myself not to hammer everything – ie. Just smarter training overall.

- Wouldn’t mind seeing 5k sneak under 17:30.

- And, back to the marathon, which I abandoned 12 years ago. Going to give this one more go in the fall.

Should be a fun year...

A poor year for me, but a new opportunity lies ahead.

Merry Christmas to you all!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Well this morning's 10 miler puts a wrap on my 2011; it sneaks me over the 100 mile mark for December and keeps that streak alive.

Santa was kind to my running closet this holiday season; the cakes, cookies chocolate and cheese were not as kind to my waistline!

Hope you all are having a fun holiday season.

As I type this it's already early morning of 1 JAN 2012 for those of us in NZ - Happy New Year to you and for the rest of you, see you on the flip side in 2012

Meg's first up on the 2012 race board with her resolution 5k tomorrow - good luck Meg, hope the weather is not too fierce!

2017 Goals

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Good job on the run this morning Matt!

Well I ended 2011 on a positive note. Got a 2hr time on feet run in at a decent training pace! 2:01:51, 8.25 mi, 14:47 overall pace; AHR 97, MHR 108     

Felt great. I tried BF Ken Bob's down hill running suggestion, e.g. deepening squat and increasing cadence- flew down a >10% grade section with no pain or shocks the way ya see people straight legging downhills. He discusses how in one race he deepened his squat so far that at the bottom of a long steep trail his butt almost touched the ground at the transition! What a picture that would have made. I didn't squat that deep but enough to maintain ball/heel/toe landing style. 

This is my longest run since 12/2010 Decker Challenge and resulting calf/Achilles injuries. Finally shook that off as well as negative feelings resulting from learning about Agent Orange exposure and its impact on my health (Ischemic Heart disease, prostate already, with potential for type 2 diabetes which I am borderline on currently). So am starting 2012 with a more positive attitude, the most positive all year! 

Keep on Keeping on folks and Happy New Year! Have a safe, healthy and drama free year!

bob e v
                                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.