Half Marathon Trainers

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of Oct 25th (Read 1697 times)

runlongrunfast

Hi All,

Wow, the thread is long!  I did not run today, just wanted to pop in and see how everyone was doing.  Good luck to all the racers this weekend.  and Happy holloween Smile

betty

macd

Indy Half Marathon

I too did not run today (I really was planning to, and did get up at 4, but it was pouring, and in the dark, I thought it too risky... so tomorrow should be drier, and I can wait until it's a little lighter)... Did come in for PiYo before work, tho. And sat on a stability ball instead of my desk chair for an hour this morning (which really twisted my back, can't say I recommend that!).

I've been too busy to keep up with the shouts this week, but just wanted to wish the racers good luck!!!

and runjr - it's definitely too early to rely on next Saturday's forecast Wink

Happy Halloween, all!

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.  (already wished Spice well seperatly)

Day off today, did a little over 5 yesterday at a pretty good pace and was feeling it last night/this morning after the intervals on Wednesday.  I plan on doing 6-8 early in the morning tomorrow instead of my neighborhood 5k because I have a funeral in the morning for my friends dad 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Upcoming Events Current PR's 11/8/2009 - Luv 2 Run 5k 23:52 10/11/2009 BAA 1/2 Marathon 1:53:46 10/25/2009 - Canton Fall Clasic 10k 52:30

Happy Friday All!!!

Today is a rest day for me because I'm running in a 5K tomorrow.  I have a hard time resting especially on a day when I normally do a 4 to 5 mile run.  But I really want to try to get a PR tomorrow so I'm trying hard to stay put.  It's suppose to pour down rain tomorrow morning, so I'm not sure how that will affect my time. 

Good Luck to everyone with races this weekend, and hope everyone's long runs go well!!

Happy Halloween!

~Rebecca

Snowman

Question:

Has anyone been involved with organizing a race?  I've been asked to organize a 5k race for a small town next September.  I know some of the people on the "village" council and will be having a meeting with them.  I'm going to check with our local running store to be a sponser and plan on having the race benefit our fire department.  But I've seen some 1st and 2nd annual races this year that were complete disasters and would really like to avoid that happening.  Or things that you see in races all the time that you prefered were different.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Question:

Has anyone been involved with organizing a race?  I've been asked to organize a 5k race for a small town next September.  I know some of the people on the "village" council and will be having a meeting with them.  I'm going to check with our local running store to be a sponser and plan on having the race benefit our fire department.  But I've seen some 1st and 2nd annual races this year that were complete disasters and would really like to avoid that happening.  Or things that you see in races all the time that you prefered were different.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You might post this question on the main board...or do a search. There are several people that organize races that post on RA. Good luck

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thank goodness DH and I made it out for a run, because a car stopped and the man asked if we knew anybody in the area who owned a long-haired collie.  Guess what, it was our dog!!  He had gotten out of his fenced yard and wandered a mile away.  I can't believe we just happened to be on the road when this nice guy was looking for the owners!  I need to buy:  1.  dog tags (duh); and 2. a thank-you card.  Whew, I'm still shaking.  He's such a nice dog.

snorth100

Hi everybody -- I've been pretty crazy with my new job and haven't had time to post.  Want to wish all our weekend racers the best -- especially Spice!!!  Trust your training and have fun!!

I've been runnng short (3 mi) distances and doing bootcamp this week.  I've officially started my training for my next HM (here in JAX in Feb.) so my distances will start to ramp back up. 

I'll try to do some posts this weekend...

Sue

JeffRW

Shout outs this weekend.

Got 8 miles in this afternoon.  Very windy day 25 -35 mph wind, made running south tough.

PR 5k 22:06 10K 46:45 1/2 1:57:11

325th place or bust!

Got 9 miles to do on Halloween morning!  Maybe my costume tomorrow will be a runner's outfit...  Smile

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Well, I managed to squeeze 5 miles in tonight befoe darkness, it'll probably be my last run after work until spring.

Heading to Boston area tomorrow, so no running planned, but will get a run in on Sunday when I get home.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Thank goodness DH and I made it out for a run, because a car stopped and the man asked if we knew anybody in the area who owned a long-haired collie.  Guess what, it was our dog!!  He had gotten out of his fenced yard and wandered a mile away.  I can't believe we just happened to be on the road when this nice guy was looking for the owners!  I need to buy:  1.  dog tags (duh); and 2. a thank-you card.  Whew, I'm still shaking.  He's such a nice dog.

Wow someone was watching out for you. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Jubee13

My first half marathon race report.

Short version-It didn't rain! The temp was 50 and overcast-perfect!

I did it!!

Long version-

As most of you know, I was very unsure about running this race. The only reason I did was that I had 11 miles scheduled as my long run this week, so I thought-I'll just do the half, even if I have to walk some. Also, it was the first half marathon my local area has ever had, and I was excited to get in at the beginning. All money raised went to our local Cerebal Palsy Center which serves kids of all disabilities.

Anyway, I got up at 6am and ate a graham cracker with peanut butter and drank hot green tea. I never eat before I run because I always get up early and am running within 30 minutes of waking up. I ended up having no stomach issues at all, so that was perfect.

It rained all the way while driving to the race. I was totally prepared to run in the rain, but it quit about 15 minutes before the race started. I met up with a friend, and we took pictures and had several bathroom breaks. Before I knew it, the race had started! The first few miles just flew by. About mile 6, I started feeling really good. It was like I had found my rhythm (a slow one at that!). About mile 10, my legs started getting tired, especially when going up inclines. I made it through mile 12, but I had to walk just a little during mile 13. I know-it was just one more mile. But most of the last mile was an incline, and my legs just weren't strong enough. I would walk a few steps, then run. I was able to run the last bit in pretty strong. I felt great after! My time was around 2:20, but I haven't seen the official time yet.

One thing that worked out perfectly was what I chose to wear. I wore a sleeveless shirt under a long-sleeved tech shirt. I was kind of cold at the start, but about mile 7, it felt great to pull off the long sleeves. Also, my friend had jawbreakers which I found were better than gum. It was just what I needed!

I went to my car and got my protein drink which I had put in a cooler. It was so good-I was really glad I brought it. Then home to a nice shower!

As time passes, I am getting a little more sore. Any advice about that? Also, what strengthens legs? Our area is very flat, so I had no experience with hills. Would hill training make my legs stronger? Or do I just need to put in more miles?

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement! I'm glad I did it.

I think back on my life-I never did anything remotely athletic. In fact, I graduated from high school at 5'3" and 155 pounds. Now, I weigh 115 and at the age of 43 have just run a half marathon! I am very thankful.

Juli

JoeInTX

Well troops seems like we will be moving our thread back to the Active website.   So please follow the following LINK 

Juli - Congrats on your first HM!!!   Well done!  Please repost your awesome race report on the site above.

jayazusa

Juli - Amazing write up and congratulations on you first 1/2 Marathon and in 2:20 that is great!! I am with you I graduated high school and was able to avoid exercise most of my adult life until a couple months ago and at 42 I am in the best shape of my life!  Way to go, stretch and relax today you will be fine.

Have a great day,

Jay

Upcoming events:

• 4/3/2011 - Marquee Olympic Triathlon
                                • 5/7/2011 - Rio Salado Olympic Triathlon

Completed:

• 3/5/2011 - Run for Ryan House Half Marathon 1:50:43
                                • 1/16/2011 - PF Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon 1:57:48
                                • 12/5/2010 - Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon 1:59:19
                                • 11/7/2010 - Amica International Triathlon - Finished 2:50:16
                                • 10/9/2010 - Prospector Olympic Triathlon - Finished 2:48:25