Half Marathon Trainers

Deadwood Mickelson Trail Half Marathon - 8 June 08 (Read 201 times)

MikeB-BoR

Hi all, I am new to RA and this forum. I am training for my first HM http://www.deadwoodmickelsontrailmarathon.com in June. I have been running off and on for the past 4 mos, but about 2 weeks ago decided I wanted to do this. I am now following a strict (fairly) training plan. My longest run has been 7.5 miles, and I felt great at the end (wanted to keep going but forced myself to stop). Any thoughts? I think I should be good to go but wanted to see what others thought. Thanks! Mikeb4789

Goals :
    •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight 

jules2

Welcome aboard, you are 21 years younger than me and 9 pounds lighter if you can't finish a half marathon what hope do I have? Theres lots of advice on the current threads most of which contradicts itself but hey we are all different. I thought my next half ( The Dog and Hegehog ) was pretty but the scenery for the Deadwood looks stunning. I think I'd walk it just so I could look at the flowers but I am an aging hippy.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Welcome Mike, it is important to set attainable goals to keep you motivated. June 8th is close & you don't have much a base built yet. Take it easy and don't be too ambitious with your time goals. I hope you think long term about your running, be patient and you can keep improving for 10 years. Good Luck

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Prince of Fatness

Mike, Jules and Sarge are right. Just get some consistent running under your belt and go out for an easy run for this race. If you are in it for the long haul patience is the key. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

MikeB-BoR

Well..... I found out today, work is sending me out of town that week Tongue So...instead of that race, I will be doing the next one http://www.nhcasa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=28 Not as scenic, but it does give me a bit more time and it's all downhill. Mikeb4789

Goals :
            •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight