Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers - October 2009 (Read 889 times)

jules2

Simon, I know what you mean, sometimes I have thought its best not to run on alternate days other times I have thought running less but every day is best but I still end up injured whichever I do!

I've had a cold the last few days so I don't know whats going to happen on Sunday.

Forgot to say welcome Matt.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

16 tomorrow, as my half training season starts to overlap with marathon season. I was supposed to be running the new Women's Half in St Petersburg, just across our lovely state, but now I'm balking at spending $90 on a half. I might do the race I PR'ed at last year instead, which is in Fort Lauderdale the week before. Though at this point, I need every day of training I can get; I'm woefully slow  . . . those races are at the end of November.

Vixi,

Do you know of any races in the FT Myers/Sarasota area for Oct 18th or anyting during the week of 10/13 - 10/19 or any good sites to go looking for FL races?

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Larry, I am sure you will get a new PR at the 5k- you ran 4 of those miles at under 7mm average!

Simon.

Simon, if you saw my race report, you'll see I did indeed PR my 5K, broke 21 minutes and won my first medal (3rd place for my age group)

Larry

LPH

Lu481

"Good Luck" to everyone still running races this year.

Welcome to the group Matt...  I read your disastrous running post and was well entertained... To think, you're not the only one...  I injured myself back in March when I set a PR for a 1/2 marathon (1:57:16)...  Then I was pretty much done with running until the middle of June...  Thinking I could get my time back before a 22k race in Sept, with just over 3 months to train, I forgot how important it was to build with lots of slow mileage.  When I did run, I ran too fast, and I didn't run enough...

The race went okay, but I started off way too fast as I was feeling good.  (I know better too) I passed the 10k mark about 57 minutes, so I figured I'd finish with a not bad time of around 2:05 to 2:10...  But then it hit me and somewhere after the 1/2 way point I slowed...  I had to walk a couple times on the uphills...  And I was hurting by the last few miles...  I couldn't figure out why they kept moving the finish line further and further away...   I felt like I'd never reach it...  I managed to finish in 2:14:04...  Still a PR, considering I haven't ran a 22k race before...  Anyway, lesson learnt...  I think...

I was planning a 1/2 marathon in November, but have decided to skip it...  For the months of Oct, Nov and Dec, I'm doing nothing but slow easy miles and building my mileage back up (Trying to keep my heart rate under 150)...  My first faster run will be on Jan 1st when I run a 5k...  Then I'll add the odd speed and hill session in.  I might tackle a 1/2 in Feb just to see how I'm doing, but my next main race to train for will be a 1/2 in May...

As far as days off before a race...  I think I've taken 2 days off before every race so far and it hasn't appeared to hurt... The training plans I've used as a guideline to construct my own training have mainly had 2 days rest prior to the race...  I'll have to experiment with doing a short easy run the day before to see how it goes...  But that won't be for a while now...

Lu

Busy week, sorry I haven’t posted back sooner.

Larry – 3 day break before the 20k was not planned, or not planned well! I was traveling for work the Wed & Thursday and didn’t run as a result. I have never run the day before a race, so didn’t that Friday. Will give that a try next time round.

Nice racing those of you who have posted race reports. Thanks for sharing. Larry nice PR. Awaldvogel, I know you missed your goal but awesome times none the less! Teresa, great run – keep on truckin!

Question for y’all about heart rate when training;

Back in April when I “slowed way down” I just started running easy miles @ 10min/mile.

Now I’m running 5 times a week some of my easy runs @ 10mm are starting to feel a little too easy.

My resting heart rate is 50, max is 202.

I figure max is 202 as that’s the highest I’ve ever had it go when really pushing it recently – is that right? I know if I do 220 –age it should be 187. (Is my heart going to explode?)

Now on these “easy” runs my heart rate can fall under 60% - is it time to kick up the pace a little to get  my HR up to the 65-70%?

On the tempo runs I have started running should my HR be in the 85-90% range or a little lower?

I know a lot of people post here; “run what feels right” - but I have all the gear and no idea, can someone help me out with the numbers!

Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Larry – 3 day break before the 20k was not planned, or not planned well! I was traveling for work the Wed & Thursday and didn’t run as a result. I have never run the day before a race, so didn’t that Friday. Will give that a try next time round.

Question for y’all about heart rate when training;

Back in April when I “slowed way down” I just started running easy miles @ 10min/mile.

Now I’m running 5 times a week some of my easy runs @ 10mm are starting to feel a little too easy.

My resting heart rate is 50, max is 202.

I figure max is 202 as that’s the highest I’ve ever had it go when really pushing it recently – is that right? I know if I do 220 –age it should be 187. (Is my heart going to explode?)

Now on these “easy” runs my heart rate can fall under 60% - is it time to kick up the pace a little to get  my HR up to the 65-70%?

On the tempo runs I have started running should my HR be in the 85-90% range or a little lower?

I know a lot of people post here; “run what feels right” - but I have all the gear and no idea, can someone help me out with the numbers!

Cheers MattJ

Matt, I know what you mean about work interferring and we can't always plan our travel, but put it inthe memory banks for the next time.

As for HR training. I tried it last year and got nothing out of it.  First, it was saying that i was running too hard (well actually I do) and my heart rate was over the Max for my age.  Then I would get very fluxuating readings at times.

I talked to my next door neighbor who is a DR and a runner and he said that if my regular DR had given me a clean bill of health (and he had) not to focus on it so much, but to watch my recovery time.  If my HR stayed high after a run, then I was working too hard and pushing my heart beyond it's limits.  If it started to drop immeidately and dropped to under a 100 in 10-15 minutes, that I was fine.  So that's what I started doing, was to monitor my HR drop at the end of my runs.  And even though walking a half mile after a run, my HR was dropping to under 100, usually low 90s. So now I don't even bother unless I'm running on my threadmill.

Now again, that's me (and I am odd), doesn't mean it fits every person. 

My other comment is that yes, you might want to think about picking up your easy pace a litle bit.  As you get stronger, it takes a little more to get you into that aerobic mood and your heart is stronger and if you can do it without injury, then give it a try.

Larry

LPH

Ringmaster

Vixi,

Do you know of any races in the FT Myers/Sarasota area for Oct 18th or anyting during the week of 10/13 - 10/19 or any good sites to go looking for FL races?

Larry

Larry, sorry it took me forever to see this; I confess I've been less than faithful to check the boards. Well, less than faithful to many of my commitments, actually.

No, I don't know of any races on that side of the state that week. I've checked the sites I know of, and the only race that comes up that weekend on the west coast is in Panama City Beach, but that's a fair drive from Sarasota. It would actually be a shorter drive for you to go across the state and run the Beachside Half in Vero Beach, which is not far from me. Both of these I found at RunningintheUSA.com. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Hey! My first post in this group. I'm training to finish  first half on 11/8, the Fort Worth Marathon, and a second on thanksgiving day, the Atlanta Marathon. I'll shoot for a pb at the Fort Worth Cowtown Marathon half the end of Feb 2010. This is the result of yesterday's long run, my longest to date.

Well I covered 12 mi, in 3hrs 4min, 15:14 pace this morning. Great running weather. Doesn't quite count as first rain run, but certainly the closes yet.

50 deg, 100% humidity, misting on & off. Left quad/groin complained starting about 3-4 mi and continued throughout the rest of the run. Causing me to slow down as time went on to reduce/avoid the pain. Does convince me I can finish a half, but have to run smarter. I started out faster than I should because I felt good. Have to restrain myself as I did with the 15k. Short, slower intervals for the half to 3/4 of the run, then pick it up.

Nutrition: We had a large dinner last night so I wasn't very hungry this morning. I had a gu before leaving the house. Left a Tiger gatorade on the mail box, had one in my bottle bag. Ate 3 gu while running and felt pretty good at the finish except for my leg.

The question is - do I do a 5k race next sun as the shorter long run/easy day, the 4th week back off. I was thinking to do a 1-2 mi warm up, then the race, and then another easy mi or two. The race is a 50th anniversary party for one of the runners who gathers a bunch of runners on Sat morning. I want to participate just to congratulate them! Will not run for a pb, which I could have, but that could cause more injury than its worth.

Half marathon on 11/8 training - will keep it easy until then. Slow easy and long runs. Would love to finish in 3hrs, but it it takes longer, the heck with it. Just finish, and finish injury free. Then Atlanta half marathon on 11/26, which is more hilly than Fort Worth, so I will look to finish in under 3:30 and be happy with what I get since my son and grandkids will be there!

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Prince of Fatness

Bob, I'll be running the half in Atlanta too.  Hopefully we'll get to meet.

Not at it at all. 

Good Job Bobev .... its been a long /steady progression to this point.  Hope you enjoty the runs!

No halfs for me for a while .... Columbus Marathon in 5 days shooting for 3:45.  Then will focus on 5k - 5 milers to lower those PRs (22:47 , 37:09) before the end of year capping the year off in state of Fla 5 mile champiionship 12/27(open to all), last year ran like a 47 something in blistering heat (well coming from ohio in Dec mid 80's feels) out of shape and hardly any running for 3 months after injurying knee at the 08 Columbus marathon.  A nice 10 -12 minute reduction yr over yr in the 5 miler would be nice.

After holidays will probably target a half for 2/14 (Last Chance Marathon - Columbus) where most folks go to PR or BQ (Both) on a completly flat course.  Hope to break the 1:40 barriier then and get early jump on Spring Marathons. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Bob, I'll be running the half in Atlanta too.  Hopefully we'll get to meet.

Sounds like a great idea! Although you could probably finish a marathon in the time it takes me to finish the half! This will be my second, but I'll not be shooting for a pb, especially with that hill in the later part of the race! Will send you a private message.

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Glad you joined us Bobev!

I am getting nervous now, Sunday is the big day..did a warmup 3k then a hard tempo 5k tonight at just faster than the pace I want to race at, and I was really glad when that 5k was over. I cannot imagine how I can maintain near that pace for 21kms, race day adrenaline will have to kick in really hard!

Matt, I do not have any means of checking my heart rate but I have read that the best use for this is to check how long it takes to return to near normal, say 100bpm after a run, and keep track of that as an estimate of your fitness. Problem as always is that temp, humidity and other factors affect the readings.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

GOOD LUCK, SIMON!!!  I'll be thinking about you on Sunday!
                            Ringmaster

Go, Simon!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

IMKY13 finish!!

Hello all;

I know I haven't posted on here in a while, but I have been lurking.  Congrats to everyone on their running & successes!!!  So great to read about them!!!

I am just getting ready for my HM this Sunday.  One of my 2009 goals was to break 2 hours in a HM and Sunday is my last chance.  It's being run on the same course as my current PR (2:02:42)...plus a friend of mine (who runs a HM in like 1:32) is going to pace me to a 1:56 (8:55/mile pace).  I think we plan on taking like 3 (maybe 4) walk breaks at like mile 3,6, and 9.  I know if I have someone to one with, to keep me motivated & all, I'll be able to do it.

After that, I am doing Rocket City (Huntsville, AL) full marathon again.  My goal in that one is 4:10 (which is basically a 9:30/mile pace). 

Hope everyone is doing good....and staying injury free and running hard!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles