Half Marathon Trainers

Saying hello (again it seems) (Read 31 times)

redleaf

Hi!

I poked about a bit and it seems I was a member of this group in 2009 (the first time I started to run). I'm on my second (or 16th, not really sure, I've lost count) return to running and I've done one half-marathon earlier this year (April 7 in St. Louis). I have another one this weekend (April 28 in Montreal)

I signed up for the half in St. Louis in order to run with a bunch of RA friends.

I signed up for the half in Montreal because I am dumb that way. My goal is to beat my not so wonderful showing in St. Louis (2:55 and change). I got sick the week before the race and I left Toronto at 0c (32f) and arrived in St. Louis over 20c (72f). Definitely not ready for that. So I'd really like to beat the 2:55 on Sunday.

Unless something changes drastically in the meantime, my next half will be at the end of September. I'm hoping by reading up on the posts here I'll get some recommendations for training plans (I did higdon's novice 1 for St. Louis; well, until I got sick) and running while trying to lose weight (about 40 pounds to go).

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good to see you over here! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Welcome back! Good luck in next weekend's race.  What is your plan for this week?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

redleaf

Thanks guys!

My plan for the week isn't really much of a plan but to try and get a bunch of slow kms in.

I exchanged a long easy run Sunday (yesterday) with a 10k race Smile I'm still figuring out how to "race" but I figure the effort is probably about the same in the end plus I got to give Q another medal.

Monday - Wednesday - Friday are what I call "commute" runs. It's about 4.5 km to get Q to day care in the jogging stroller. I run him in. Not sure he'd put up with being run home at the end too. My husband is away this week and on Wednesday my parents are keeping Q overnight so that's really the only other time I can get another run in. Now it's of unknown length. I'll go out and see how it feels I guess.

Part of my problem is that I really only seem to have one speed right now. I have a bunch of weight to lose and maybe that'll change as I lose weight but for now it seems like it is what it is. I think maybe I'll try for a more advanced plan for the September 28 half that involves speed work and hills and other such scary things.

I'm pretty good about logging runs and stuff but usually I can only do it in the evening when I can upload the garmin after work. If you've got any suggestions I'm more than open to them.

HF #4362

Snickers1230

Good luck this weekend!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

redleaf

Good luck this weekend!

Thank you!

HF #4362

redleaf

Just got my bib number for Montreal. #1923  Not sure why but I like the number.

It's a field of 3000. And it's sold out.

I'm very excited Big grin

HF #4362

HappyFeat

Just got my bib number for Montreal. #1923  Not sure why but I like the number.

It's a field of 3000. And it's sold out.

I'm very excited Big grin

Getting excited for you! I'd say it's a good omen that your number suits you. Looking forward to hearing how the race unfolds.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi Redleaf!

We used to both be on the Toronto group when it was still active.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

Hi Redleaf!

We used to both be on the Toronto group when it was still active.

Hi Simon! Yea, not much happens over there anymore Undecided Although every once in a while I try to post races and such coming up.

HF #4362

redleaf

"Unless something changes drastically in the meantime, my next half will be at the end of September."

Apparently something has changed drastically. I've lost my mind.

April 7 = St. Louis MO half

April 28 = Montreal QC half

Then I noticed the Toronto Women's half (ON) is May 26. April 7 to May 26 = is 49 or 50 days depending on how you count it.

4 halfs is 4 states/provinces/countries in 51 days qualifies me as a half-fanatic. Turns out there's a half on May 19 in Cleveland OH.

Sometimes I wonder about what running has done to my brain....

HF #4362