Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Oct 5 & 6 (Read 15 times)

an amazing likeness

Welcome to October. Here in New England, the trees in areas away from the coast are deep into their fall colors and the vistas are a beautiful mix of yellows and reds overrunning the green. In a few weeks, frosts will settled in and the winds will empty the trees. Peak foliage is arriving just as we hit the peak fall race schedule.

Three half marathons on our racing calendar for this weekend. Rondog65 is running the 3rd race of the Cape Cod Half Trilogy of races, which kicked off in February at the Hyannis Half (nice course!), May in Hyannis again for the Johnny Kelly Half, and then further out the Cape to Harwich this weekend.  Run all three and you get a neat jacket.

After skipping it last year, I'm running the Maine Marathon half for the 6th time. Due to bridge construction the course has been re-routed and has an unfortunate hill at mile 10-ish ( and worse...it's mile 23 for the marathon), but the trade-off is a nice steady downhill to the finish.

(don't believe buchy2009 is active in this group any longer...)

Oct 5 CanadianMeg Flatlanders 10K  Regina, SK, CA
    Oct 6 Rondog65 Harwich Cranberry Half Harwich, MA
    Oct 6 buchy2009 Music City Half Nashville, TN
    OCt 6 MilkTruck Maine Marathon Half Portland, ME

Sending wishes of fleet feet, easy middle miles and a strong finish for our racers; and cooling breezes to all our trainers logging miles toward their next event.

Run strong!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

I happened to have been down on Cape Cod earlier this week, right in the area of Rondog65's race. It was a stunning few days of early fall weather...in the 60s and low 70s, bright sun, calm ocean stretching past the sands at the end of the Cape. Snapped this picture at land's end:

Turn around to face away from the ocean and this lighthouse is still warning ships not run into the Cape:

redleaf

That's gorgeous!

good runs guys,

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Good luck! Beautiful pics.

May the wind be at your backs.  Have great races.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Hope all three of you have great races and fantastic weather.

MT, where on the Cape were these beautiful pictures taken from?  i'm pretty familiar with the Cape, but don't recognize any of these.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

an amazing likeness

MT, where on the Cape were these beautiful pictures taken from?  i'm pretty familiar with the Cape, but don't recognize any of these.

Chatham, this past Monday late in the afternoon. That's looking (east) out at the "Chatham bars" sand bars as the end of the Cape, and the Chatham light.

Zelanie

Good luck, MT and Rondog!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I forgot to post my race to the thread, I guess, but I'll share this here anyway bc it sets a good tone to race weekend! PR for me! I hope our half runners do well! Fleet feet! Smile

Today - Flatlanders 10K - Regina, Sask.

PR by 16 seconds and again, that damn extra second. My 10K was 1:05:01 (my previous PR was 1:05:17 from this race 2011). I ran 2:25:01 in my half last month too. That damn extra second. It was cold; about 3*C or 37*F with a bit of a breeze . I wore tights, my favourite Canada running shirt (heavier with thumb holes and a half zip) and gloves. I went out a bit too fast, them decided to try to hold onto it in case I could do it and just was mentally thinking it was too fast. It was too fast and my drop off wasn't too extreme.

Got slowed at aid station in mile 3 - path not wide enough. Struggle in last 1.5 miles. If chip time matches Garmin, PR by 16 seconds. 

Splits: 9:55 - 10:06 - 10:22 - 10:27 - 10:24 - 10:31 - (9:58)

My Garmin read 6.33 for 10K race.

Not a big PR but I'll take it. Despite it being a year when I'm not hitting the mileage, this year I have new PRs in 5K, 10K and half! I just noticed that looking at my PR screen on my log!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

WTG Meg!  16 seconds in a 10K is a heck of a gain, that's not small potatoes.

Gosh, 3C in October...that's cruel.

(Hope I didn't miss your 10K in the Upcoming Races! It's in the list, with the PR)

Rondog65

Hi MT, good luck on your run.

i will be running the Harwich Half marathon as scheduled which will take me along the ocean.  Just made it home (Harwich) from a quick trip to Maine to see my son who is going school at the University of Maine (left the wife and daughter up in Maine so I could complete the trilogy run).

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Zelanie

Congratulations, Meg!

an amazing likeness

The race day gods delivered absolutely perrr-fect running weather today...cloudy, light breeze, 50F.  The course was stress-free...clearly and accurately marked and well marshaled at each intersection.

Ran an unofficial (as of yet) 1:38:55 1:38:53 with nice negative spit from the turnaround cone back down the course:

1st 5mi in 38:13 for 7:39 pace

2nd 5mi in 37:21 for 7:20 pace

Final 3 mi splits of 7:32 - 7:17 - 7:17 so steady to the finish.

Twas a good day.

Rondog65

I Completed the Harwich Cranberry Harvest Half Marathon in less than a spectacular result, but I finished.  2:06:02.

A similar story we all have heard, I went out to fast and wasn't able to keep the pace.

The big picture is that I completed all 3 of the Cape Cod Half Marathon Trilogy races for 2013 and earned my jacket!!  Prior to this year I have never run a Half Marathon and now I have done 3 with 1 being a sub 2:00.  I will collect my jacket in February 2014 with a proud sense of accomplishment.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

an amazing likeness

The big picture is that I completed all 3 of the Cape Cod Half Marathon Trilogy races for 2013 and earned my jacket!!  Prior to this year I have never run a Half Marathon and now I have done 3 with 1 being a sub 2:00.  I will collect my jacket in February 2014 with a proud sense of accomplishment.

As you should!  That's quite an achievement. Great job, Ron!