Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Oct 19 & 20 (Read 20 times)

an amazing likeness

As we hit mid-October, here in northern New England the bright colors of fall are fading in all but a narrow band along the coast. No one wants to rush it, but low and dark grey skies are warnings that cold wet rain and snow are the future. Surprisingly…these can be some of the most enjoyable days for long runs.

Mid-October also brings us to the peak of the fall racing calendar and this weekend looks be one of the year’s most active on our HMT race calendar with 6 Half Marathon entries...

Haven’t heard from SimonR in bit, so no idea if he’s still planning on his marathon in Toronto.

On the half marathon front, not certain if RunTomRun passes through these parts anymore, but his 4 Bridges Half weaves an interesting looking course back and forth over the TN river. Ashleyw brings a well-executed 16-week training plan to the line for (what I recall ?) is her first half. DollarBill is running a two-state course based around the Dartmouth College campus area in the Connecticut river valley between NH and VT.

Of special note this week, two long-time RunningAhead runners have wandered over this way and thrown their entries into the fray.  Rockenmamaof5 is an accomplished ultra runner, coming back from a long injury recovery and just getting back to running in the past few months – amazing to see you setting out for 13.1, Pam. Deez4boys will be in Lowell for the ever-popular Baystate Marathon – an race for runners, by runners and an event which usually draws a big RA contingent to its flat figure-8 course.

Oct

RunTomRun

4 Bridges Half

Chattanooga, TN

Oct

SimonR

Tortonto Waterfront Marathon

Toronto, ON, CA

Oct

ashleyw

Columbus Marathon

Columbus, OH

Oct

DollarBill

CHaD HERO Half

Hannover, NH

Oct

rockenmamaof5

Blue & Grey Half

Gettysburg, PA

Oct

MilkTruck

Harvest Half

Biddeford, ME

Oct

deez4boyz

Baystate Marathon Half

Lowell, MA

Sending best wishes for good luck, following winds and fleet feet to our racers!

(Report back with race updates. Extra credit for pictures...we love pictures!Wink)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

Good luck to all those running the halves!

I'll be doing a 5k on Sat morning, which I plan to run as fast as I can, haha. I really need to break 23:00, and with 6500 racers, walkers, joggers, elites, and all, I should have plenty of rabbits to chase down. I did this race last year in 25:05, just 2 months after my colon surgery. It's called the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run, all proceeds for a local breast cancer foundation.

Cyberic

Good racing everyone. I'm too new to know the forum users but eventually I should be able to wish you more personalized wishes

Have great races everyone.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

Good luck racers!

I see Tom in another group and I do know that he's still planning to race this weekend.  I don't know that he will check in here though. Sad

ashleyww

Thanks for the well-wishes.  It it my first (so kudos to MilkTruck for remembering).  I am more nervous than I would like to be, but about stuff like parking, the weather, getting everywhere I need to be on time, not about the actual running, which I am thankful for.

To everyone else racing this weekend, best of luck to you!

hog4life

5k finished in 23:50.

an amazing likeness

5k finished in 23:50.

Nice run, Mitch -- not your goal time, but you've only recently been getting in steady miles, much doing any speed work to get your turnover back. I'd call this a good test along your comeback journey.

an amazing likeness

Posted a 1:42:30 (+/-) for my half today on an absolutely stunning late fall day -- sun, 55F, brisk NW breeze.  Off to get some Sunday chores done, back with more later.

Thanks for the well wishes!!!  I hit 1:51 for my 1/2 today which is a PR for me by 8+ minutes - I am beyond happy!!  The weather was perfect and the support from Greater Lowell Striders and Merrimack Valley Striders was great!!

denise

Zelanie

Mitch- You're on your way back, for sure, especially with the crazy shifts you've been working!

MilkTruck- Sounds like a perfect day for a race, congrats!

denise- Wow, what an incredible PR!  Great job!

Ashley- I see your race is in your log, congratulations!  Hope that you enjoyed it!

ashleyww

Thanks Zelanie!  I dint have a chance to post my results yesterday.  My offical time for my first halaf marathon was2:35:19, well under my hopeful goal of 2:40! The race was really fun and my friend who I convinced to run it had a great time as well!

DollarBill

Sorry to report I was a DNS at the CHaD half in Hanover, NH yesterday.  Work seriously intervened in a negative way the last four weeks (meaning intervened so much that I haven't run in the last four weeks).  My son, who is a student in Hanover, hadn't really trained, but still ran a 1:41 though.  He said it was an absolutely beautiful day.  Will try to get this race back on the schedule for next year.

Congrats to those who were able to run.  This is just a great time of year here in New England for running.  Has always been my favorite season.

Great racing all.  Congrats on all the PR's.

Makes me wish I had been racing.  Just some lazy easy miles for me.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

Ashley- I'm so glad you had a good time at your first half!  Have you picked out your next one yet? Wink

DollarBill- Congrats to your son!  Hope work settles down for you soon.