Half Marathon Trainers

First Half Marathon! (Read 16 times)

S.Cavender

Hi everybody! I'll be running my first ever half marathon on April 9th and I'm very excited! I ran cross country all four years in high school but then stopped running when I started college aside from a short run here and there. I'm now a sophomore and I started running consistently again about a month ago. I feel like I have been able to get back into the swing of things fairly quickly, which is exciting! I picked out a training plan and put it on my log. Is it a reasonable plan? I feel like I can do it, but I also don't want to overextend myself and get hurt. General tips for a first time half marathon are also welcome! Thanks! 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Best tip is to enjoy your first and pay attention. Your first race is a special one and automatically a PR.

Two things strike me looking at your log.

* A bit inconsistent. Consistent runs is going to be key to being ready for your race. You can't make up runs you miss.

* Your training plan has your long run as a really large chunk of your total weekly mileage in the later weeks. Maybe that will work for you, but in my training I find I can't do more than 35% of total weekly mileage as long run or I find I need more recovery. You might not have that problem. Just something to be aware of.

Good luck! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.