Half Marathon Trainers

I have 24 weeks--training plan? (Read 431 times)

I know there are lots of plans out there. Should I just choose one and stretch it out? As of now, I have only run as far as a 5k, so I know I should choose a novice program. Any reccomendations?

jules2

Unlike the people who produce training plans I have a life to lead so I have a rough idea what I'm doing but adapt according to how I feel / personal circumstances / weather. What always surprises me is the vast distances some people cover compared to their race times. The first question you need to ask is what do you want to achieve and what time do you have? If I were you I'd think along these lines, Short runs wont help you so build up to say 4/5 miles a time minimum. Don't train on back to back days Gradually increase one run a week until you can run say 10 miles. When you reach level see how long you have got left before the event. I always think that its better before your first half if you have done a run of say 15 miles plus that way you know you can do 13.1 and its just a question of the time you do it in! But thats your choice.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Thanks a bunch, Jules!
          You are not alone. I have been thinking the same - What should my half marathon training plan be? Confused I just did a 15K with 10 weeks of HH training. The last 2 weeks I thought the race would never get here! I was even sick for a week in that 10 weeks. Did not even stick to my last 2 weeks of the plan, just did what I felt like from day to day. (maybe I just peaked to early) These are great ideas from Jules. I wanted to run a 14 miler, but may think about a 15 now. Main goal right now is to stay healthy and built a good base of 20-25 miles a week. You need to pick a plan that works for you and adjust it if it is not working.

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

I know there are lots of plans out there. Should I just choose one and stretch it out? As of now, I have only run as far as a 5k, so I know I should choose a novice program. Any reccomendations?
            Hey There ~ I am doing Hal Higdon Novice HM training, and I am in the 3rd week. It is a VERY reasonable Plan that you can get started with, and repeat weeks if necessary, while you build your base. I am not planning a Half till fall, but figure if I can get the plan started and maintain, and do a few practice runs on the course in some of the more challenging parts, I will feel confident on race day... Good Luck, you have Plenty of time for a plan, and good solid training.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm doing the same plan as Cheffy, and just stretching it out. Instead of increasing by a mile every couple of weeks, I'm increasing by a half-mile. That's a big enough jump for me!
                Thanks, Cheffy & Teresa. I think I'm going to go with that plan as well. It looks do-able.
                C-R

Sorry to get in on this one so late. Higdon is a great plan and I've used it with success. You can also try Jeff Galloway's plan (on hos website or pick up a book at the local library) and its worked for me. I do adjust it as I don't run/walk but I do build my miles to exceed the race distance. for me it was a great way to have a disciplined return to training after a very bad (and self inflicted ) running injury - too agressive pace at a marathon). Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Cheffy & Teresa. I think I'm going to go with that plan as well. It looks do-able.
                    Good For you! Yes, it IS doable, just always remember to " Train at YOUR pace". Programs are great because they give you the foundation for success, you make it your own, and train within your limits and goals. We will support eachother okay? Good Luck Friend! Smile

We will support eachother okay? Good Luck Friend! Smile
                      Absolutely!!! Thanks, and good luck to you, too! Smile

Prince of Fatness

Depending on what plan you pick, spend the weeks leading up to it building mileage. Run everything at an easy pace ... think of being able to carry on a conversation. If you were to pick a 16 week plan for example, you would have 8 weeks to build mileage. I looked at your log, and in 8 weeks you could be running 20 or so miles a week. The trick is keeping the pace easy while building mileage. Also, as Jules said, try to get your LR up there. So add the mileage to one or two runs, not every run. Hope that helps .... good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Depending on what plan you pick, spend the weeks leading up to it building mileage. Run everything at an easy pace ... think of being able to carry on a conversation. If you were to pick a 16 week plan for example, you would have 8 weeks to build mileage. I looked at your log, and in 8 weeks you could be running 20 or so miles a week. The trick is keeping the pace easy while building mileage. Also, as Jules said, try to get your LR up there. So add the mileage to one or two runs, not every run. Hope that helps .... good luck.
                          So here's a question: I am only on week 3, and I am finding that the 2 mile run on Wednesday with an option to cross train is tough on legs that just ran 3.5 last evening.... ( Am i running too fast?) my pace is about 10:20 ish most of the time, but I swear ever since I got injured back in February, it seems like the " Great runs" are fewer and fewer and every run seems tough to me. If I run the 2 miles will it make me HTFU and get better, or should I just do a 2 mile easy walk or bike or something to recover? There seems to be alot of conterversy about running back to back days, some say it's good, and some say it comprimises your run quality... Thoughts?

That definitely helps. Thanks!

jules2

I think that longer runs but alternate days are the way to go unless you have run for a long while and are injury free. If after a while you feel good with that then increase the numbers of days but personally I'd increase the length of the runs. I know I'd sooner run a 10 and two 5 milers a week than 3 miles every day. If your legs are tired its nature way of telling you that you haven't recovered. Also if you keep feeling tired or sore wheres the fun in it ? I ran yesterday and still felt the long run I did on late Saturday afternoon.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cheffy, you might try slowing down your pace a little more. That's what I do when I start having a string of bad runs, and it works well for me.