Half Marathon Trainers

What, No June Thread Yet? Here It Is! (Read 40 times)

hog4life

After 14 days of no running, I did the NOBO 5k today which is similar to C25K. I was the 33:00(10:39 mm) pacer. No knee pain either, it was very hot and muggy this morning, and it actually felt better as I got more warmed up.

I sure hope June is better for everyone, stay hydrated, as it's getting really hot everywhere.

Mitch

Zelanie

Mitch, that's great news!

I ran my scheduled 4 yesterday outside with the dogs.  It was my first time outside in quite a while.  Knee was a little cranky after 3, not hurting but just irritated.  Came home and iced and rolled.  Today I was scheduled for 4, but decided to call it a day after 2.6 on the TM.  Still not really hurting, but a little irritated and I didn't want to jeopardize the rest of the week's mileage.

redleaf

Got my first run of June in tonight Smile A little over 60 minutes and my first "break" was a little after 30 minutes when I finally had enough and had to take my coat off and wrap it around my waist. Then I realised the time and turned around and ran home. I got caught by a couple of lights (I tapped lap whenever I stopped so I can see it better on the log) but ran everything else so I'm pretty pleased about that.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Feeling pretty good about running for the most part these days. My running has been a lot more consistent the last few weeks. I'm gearing up to start my half training plan next week. I need to get back to running early mornings, but that's been a struggle.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

I did an easy 3 miles this morning with a couple walk breaks, still managed a 10:18 pace. Question for some of the more experienced; with my base having been in the high 20's/low 30's for quite some time, how conservative, or aggressive, should I attempt to get back to the same miles after the knee/feet issue? I took 2 weeks completely off, and today was just my second run.

HappyFeat

It depends on how your knee responds, but my habit is to ramp back up pretty quickly as the injury allows.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Glad the knee has mended, Mitch, but no advice to offer. You are the best judge, I would think.

Short fartlek today, less than 40 minutes.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Zelanie

Morning!  The knee is feeling better and better.  Got 4 miles in on the track yesterday and could have kept going.  I'll try 5 tomorrow, either on the TM or road, depending on whether I can make the social run or not.

Redleaf- Sounds like a good start to June!

Meg- Good luck on your training plan!  How far out is your race?

Mitch- I don't have any idea either, other than you seem to have done a really nice job coming back from your surgery, so maybe you can use a similar strategy?

Simon- Nice run!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My race isn't until September (94 days if you look at their website). There another race I usually do three weeks after my half (first Saturday in October) which is a 10K but I'm considering signing up for their half instead of the 10k. A bit nervous about doing that. I always find I have some drop off after QCM so I don't know how Flatlanders half would go for me.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

Yesterday was a repeat run of Monday evening and it went well. Nothing much - a little longer than Monday in a little less time which was nice.

I have a 5k fundraising race on Sunday. I do it every year. I never "race" it. I think I'm gonna this year. I have no idea what I'm doing but I cannot wait.

Can I add a 5k to the race list? Would you all mind?

My current PR is 34:48; I have no idea how to "race" a 5 k so I put my goal time as 34:45 Smile

HF #4362

HappyFeat

I have no idea how to "race" a 5 k so I put my goal time as 34:45 Smile

My best suggestion is to run a warmup mile ending within 10 minutes of the start of the race. If you can get your muscles/lungs/heart all warmed up before the race, you are primed for a solid push through the 5K for your best result. Good luck!

redleaf

My best suggestion is to run a warmup mile ending within 10 minutes of the start of the race. If you can get your muscles/lungs/heart all warmed up before the race, you are primed for a solid push through the 5K for your best result. Good luck!

Cool - I will try to do that then. Usually I'm volunteering at the help desk until someone reminds me that the race is about to start. This time I'll leave a little earlier Smile

HF #4362

hog4life

3.25 miles this morning. I pulled the plug and registered for a couple races in the fall.

Hi guys!

i took a break after the Bluenose HM and now I'm slowly ramping up before starting my training plan in July for an October HM. I'm running 4x a week and I've added a yoga class and lots of walking to and from work (about 3 miles each way). Today I'm hitting the gym and the office - the remnants of the tropical storm are making for a wash out of a day.

Redleaf - good luck on that 5k, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Hi Ayola - I've been wondering what you've been up to. Sounds like you have a full round of activities going on. Thanks for checking in.

I'm making my spare room in to an exercise room and seem to put more energy into thinking about that  than into actually USING the room at the moment....and it's perfectly usable.  I'm now getting up 45 minutes early to do yoga, PT exercises, and a few upper body hand weight exercises....well most of the time that's what happens....some mornings that 45 minutes somehow gets absorbed by my coffee cup!  I'm hoping the room makeover will motivate me more in that direction in the evenings.

As for running: My left ham is still with me for better or worse. I won't go into all the setbacks with that except to say none of them have been running related.. (Really, I'm not this klutzy IRL!!!)  My pace is about 90 seconds slower per mile to accommodate it, but I'm happy I can at least run without aggravating it.

I have 14 miles on tap for today and it's going to be perfectly beautiful out there - brilliant sunshine, 60F, and breezy. I feel privileged to live here in the PNW and enjoy such great running weather and scenic surroundings.