Half Marathon Trainers

strength training question (Read 357 times)

i just registered for my first half marathon! its the tom king classic in nashville (where i live) on march 16th. i know i'm way early, but am planning to get into a regular workout schedule for the rest of the year then start ramping up the long runs in january. i'm following the hal higdon novice training program which includes twice weekly strength training and was just wondering what other people do as far as strength training goes. i have a great video that works abs, quads, hamstrings, hip abductors, etc. - but is it ok to use the same program for 4-5 months or am i going to need to switch to something else? not interested in joining a gym or buying lots of gear, but i have some free weights, ankle weights, etc...
      www.shovelglove.com I have found it to complement the running perfectly, because it is not too much, easy to fit in, hard not to fit in, really.
        . . . but is it ok to use the same program for 4-5 months or am i going to need to switch to something else? not interested in joining a gym or buying lots of gear, but i have some free weights, ankle weights, etc...
        If you like the program, stick with it for awhile. Change when you get bored. As long as you work the main muscle masses (chest, back, thighs) you can do any program you like for as long as you like. I've been training since 1968, and I changed bits of my routine or my focus about every 3 months or so. But I'm not neurotic about it. On the other hand, I'm very happy doing nothing but squats and military presses for as long as 6 months. As with running, weight training is a matter of taste once you get past the basics--and as long as you always include the basics. As for joining a gym, there's no reason to if you're not a weightlifter or training for some Mister contest. All you need is a barbell, some dumbells, a stack of plates and good instruction. For the price of a year's gym membership you could deck yourself out a nice home gym, but it's not really necessary. Here's a link to the best book on sensible weight training I've ever found : Brawn Don't let the cover or the title put you off. This book teaches real weight training for actual mortals. The philosophy is simple: a few basic exercises worked moderately hard (or very hard!). And here's the type of weight training I'm doing now : The Heavyhands Walking Book Good luck on your half! (I'm planning on my first in September 08).
          hey thanks for the response! i've actually been doing the same strength training video since oct/nov and i still feel the burn and am not tired of it yet, so i guess i'm good to go until my half Smile
            Glad to be of help! Just take advice with a grain of salt, experiment to find out what suits you, and have fun. What's your running program for the half? Paul