Half Marathon Trainers

Anyone in for Baystate Half Marathon (Oct 17) (Read 273 times)

an amazing likeness

Anyone else running the Baystate Half this coming Sunday?

I'm on the fence as to whether to run or not. Have an entry, but (1) Mrs Milktruck is not in favor, claiming "bad juju" -- in all fairness she did have to wait in the 30 mph nor'easter, 40F, wind and snow last year while I slogged the full at Baystate, (2) I'm still a bit sluggish from my last long run -- I don't seem to yet have a handle on the "new me" and recovery, and (3) its a long drive and long day for a half marathon which is quite the minor player to the big boy full Baystate.  On the pro side, I'd like to try and pull my 2010 half time under 1:42 and continue the journey to getting it back under 1:40, and I feel ok training wise.

There's a herd of fleet RA'ers in the marathon, all shooting for major fast times.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xhristopher

evtish is.

Sunday's calling for wind. Are you good at drafting?

an amazing likeness

I'm very good at drafting, but evtish is running a heck of a lot faster than me...so that option is out. 

After last years full-on snow, wind, and rain nor'easter during BayState, the wind is ok with me.  Last year, around mile 24 I was staring at my feet plodding into the water flowing down the street and noticed that the water was going faster than I was....so I made it my goal to hold a pace faster than the river flowing down the street. Failed at that.

an amazing likeness

Decided to head down to Lowell and run the race.

1:43:21, but the splits tell the story of b-o-n-k.  

7:54 | 7:44 | 7:37 | 7:44 | 7:50 | 7:42 | 7:48 | 7:46 | 7:55 | 7:46 | 7:51 | 8:02 | 8:03

I'm not sure why this happened, but I'm thinking (1) undertrained for the distance which creates the fade; (2) used way, way too much effort in the first mile due to crowding  -- was at 8:45 through about the first 1/2 mile; (3) poor planning the week coming into the race left the legs pretty used up., (4) fighting a chest cold.

mta: fixed splits, just to be more accurate.