Half Marathon Trainers

March (Read 43 times)

hog4life

The warmer weather is near.

I had a good LR yesterday of 14.45 miles, and I felt remarkably strong when I finished. I finished Feb with 138 miles, and hope March brings about 170 or so. Today I'm looking for a short recovery run and a bike ride.

I had a good check up at my GI doc on Thursday, no mention of surgery, so just another check up in 3 months.

Ran Little Rock Half Marathon this morning.  Ended up finishing in 2:16:47, which was nowhere near what I had planned 4 months ago.  After missing a month or so of my training due to injury/illness, I was glad to just finish.  Conditions weren't ideal.  Temps started at 47 and ended up at 39, but it rained (lightly most of the time) the entire race.  I ran this one in a raincoat, which was a first.  All in all, it was still a good race.

redleaf

Ran Little Rock Half Marathon this morning.  Ended up finishing in 2:16:47, which was nowhere near what I had planned 4 months ago.  After missing a month or so of my training due to injury/illness, I was glad to just finish.  Conditions weren't ideal.  Temps started at 47 and ended up at 39, but it rained (lightly most of the time) the entire race.  I ran this one in a raincoat, which was a first.  All in all, it was still a good race.

Good job though! Sounds like it was pretty rough out there. A friend ran the half too and said they closed the marathon course? How awful.

Tested out my hip yesterday on a brisk walk with Q in the stroller. Seemed good to go and a "easy" 12 km on the treadmill confirmed it. Now I just have to find that whole enthusiasm thing again Wink so I thought I'd try for streaking for March - it worked well for December for me. Obviously a little less rigorously this time as I am counting the 30 minute walk yesterday!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Good job though! Sounds like it was pretty rough out there. A friend ran the half too and said they closed the marathon course? How awful.

There was some confusion about the course later in the day.  Thunderstorms moved in and they rerouted the runners, but some were telling people the event was canceled.

Good luck with the streak 

hog4life

NRA, congrats on finishing the race, conditions sound tough. I run a race last year in almost the exact conditions, and I run in a rain coat too.

red, good job on getting it done and good luck on the streak.

I got myself a little recovery workout today, but I think I pushed a little too much, on the bike that is. I run 2.65 with Bella, nice and easy 11:12 pace, then biked 5 miles in 19:50 for a 3:59 pace, and finished with a 1.65 mile run at a 10:15 pace.

Zelanie

NRA- Congrats on getting though in tough conditions!

I ran a 5K on Saturday evening since my plan was calling for a 4 mile time trial last week.  My legs felt pretty heavy and I never got up to the pace I was hoping for.  Part of it was that it was a small race, and I was running by myself for pretty much the whole time.  Plus I knew I was already on PR pace, just not on goal pace.  I still got 2/20 in my AG and 10/52 OA, in addition to the PR.  Then I ran my LR yesterday and that still went pretty well.  My next race is my 10 miler, in 2 weeks.  Going to try to run it just 20 sec/mile slower than the 5K.  There should be tons of competition and crowd support, and my PR for that one is NOT soft.  So hopefully that will be the added motivation I didn't have this weekend.

Cyberic

Hog - Hope you’re right about the weather warming up. Was -24C this morning when I left for my run (-11F) with the wind chill. You’re really logging in big miles lately.

Nra – Wow! Sounds like a real tough run.

Red – Tested your hip with a 12k?! And streaking right away. That’s what I call motivation.

I took a week off work to stay with the kids. If my body can handle it I’ll try to log in big km this week, just to prove myself that I can. Today was my third day in a row of 13 km or more. If I hold this for 4 more days, it will be my biggest week ever. But I might take a full day off if I feel my body needs it. I want to stay healthy more than I want to break a personal record.

hog4life

Cyber, I've run 6 or even 8 days in a row, and that's about all my body can handle. Good luck reaching that personal best.

I had another stellar workout of the ladder intervals; this should be the last "difficult" week in the plan, and maybe peak mileage this week too. Went something like this;

1 mile WU

2 miles @ 8:25

1/4 mile recovery

1 mile @ 7:50

1/4 mile recovery

1 mile @ 7:50

1/4 mile recovery

800 @ 7:20

1/4 mile recovery

800 @ 7:40 - couldn't hold the 7:20

1.65 CD

8.65 miles total, now, eat, cleanup, off to bed for night shift this week.

Where is the warmer weather - luckily we missed the "storm"  just a little 2 inches this morning.  Yesterday I was able to get in my LR of 10 miles and it felt good.  One more weekend for one last long weekend before my Half - my inner voice has already started speaking up..I just keep trying to bat it down...No injury and I can finish this no problem!

Hog Great job on the mileage..Good luck with your new goal

Red- you know my feelings - you got this

NRA - I heard that was a really tough race..Seems like you did pretty well.  Not sure if you are a half fanatic, but there is talk that another rD is offering a big discount on hi srace 3/29/14 due to what happened in your race.

Zelanie - Congrats on a PR - I think you are going to crush your 10K PR

Cyber - I hope it starts warm up for you-as much as i think it is cold here in NE, I hear from my Canada friends it is much colder there.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Cyberic

Barbs, I think the Montreal weather wasn't really worse than NE this winter. The Canadian prairies, on the other hand, were not spared.

Barbs - So so so so glad that storm missed us in Boston.  i don't know if I could have taken another snow day or more snow on the sidewalks and streets.  as it is running on the roads are dangerous - but i have to get out of the gym and the treadmill so i am willing to risk it.  sounds like you are ready for the half - i hope the weather will hold in this pattern - although a bit warmer say 30 degress (not asking for much) might make the start much nicer.

Zelanie - Great 5K PR!  Congrats on such awesome results.  Isn't it frustrating to go to a race and essentially run it by yourself.  I have never run a 10 miler.....how do you pace?  do you do it like a half and then go faster if you can at the end?

NRA - Sorry the conditions of your race were so difficult - but congrats on pushing through it and getting it done.

Hog - I like that progression run. I might steal it for tomorrow's workout!  What plan are you following?

Red - hope the hip is better?

I've been slowly increasing my mileage this winter - and ran a 16M long run on Sunday - longest run for me in about 20 years.  Felt good and wasn't sore the next day.  had 47 miles for the week - hoping to continue building that base and possibly run a marathon sometime this calendar year.  i turn 45 on Saturday - so thank you very much BAA for giving me 10 extra minutes for a BQ! Best birthday present I'll get this year!

Ready, go.

Tara -not sure if you are interested but here is a 10miler in Newport, rI 4/27/14.  2nd year for it - starts at Fort adams.  This will be my first one.  Myself and some friends decided to check it out.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

Tara- I only ran that one 10 miler last year, and had no idea how to pace it either.  In retrospect, it did feel kind of like a half but without as long to suffer at the end.  It started out feeling way too slow, then keeping even splits started to feel hard around 6-7, but by then you're almost done.   But I was almost 4 minutes under my goal pace last year, just because I didn't really know what I was going to be able to do.  So the whole time I was kind of waiting for the wheels to come flying off, only they never did.

Got a really nice MLR done last night in new shoes, fast even because I needed to be done running by 7:00. :P  Then I followed it up with a great track workout tonight.  5 x 1200 just a tad slower than "goal 10K pace".  Only I used a made up goal since plugging my 5K into the calculators gives a number that was too slow.  My target was 8:17 pace, and I was able to hit that perfectly for the first 4, then ran the last one at 8:11.   Nice confidence booster since I think that's my last speed workout before the 10 miler.  I wasn't doing workouts at anywhere near that pace last year.

hog4life

Tara, I'm using the Ryan Hall 10 week HM plan. That workout is for week 4 and 6.

Zel, you are going to do well in your upcoming races.

I did a 6.3 mile run tonight that was supposed to be 30 minutes of tempo pace, but after 2 miles, I couldn't keep the pace. I ended up throwing in a bunch of fartleks, and had a 9:00 OA pace.

redleaf

Well, the streak didn't last very long at all (3 days) but I love coming in and seeing what you're all doing.

The only thing wrong with me now is timing and motivation. Which I have to work on on my own sigh. Wink

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362