Half Marathon Trainers

Who AM I? (Read 695 times)

Okay, as I said in a thread yesterday, with the influx of CRers joing here, that I'd start a new thread so we can get acquainted a litle bit.  I also encourage "ALL" of you to generate profiles and make them public.  I and others I know often go there to find out who someone is.

I ran some ideas around as to suggestions for posting here, but then decided not to do that and to just let people say whatever they want

So I'll Start:

I'm Larry, I started running 6 years ago (at age 50) to surprise my youngest son by running a 5K race with him before he went back to college.  Something stuck and I’ve kept running ever since. 

I’m from the Northwest Hills of CT.

Former CR member, bailed when it got bought out by Active.

Ran my first HM in 2008 and ran two this year. 

You can calculate my age, if you care to know how old I am. 

I’m married with three grown children (all out on their own) and have 2 grandsons.

2009 has been another great year of running, again continuing to improve and set new PRs in the 5K and HM and have not run a 5M or 10K (have a planned 10K for Turkey Day) 

I'm healthier than I've been in a long time, have lost close to 25 lbs and down to about my weight when I was 40.

I’m in a taper mode right now, taking it easy and catching up on other business. 

I decided to keep this breif and for the most part just repeated what is in my profile. 

Anything else you want to know about me, all you have to do is ask.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

redleaf

Cool. Hi Larry!

I'm Lisa. I'm 36. I live in Toronto ON.

I started running in June 2008 after I found out I couldn't play hockey for a while due to a wrist injury. Sorting that out took a lot longer than expected and I finally had surgery on my wrist at the end of February 2009. I played my first game in net on Monday night after almost 2 full years off. I play in a women's rec league just for fun.

So I wasn't doing anything and I was moping and stuff and my uncle said go run. I laughed and my DH bought me a book (or rather dug out a book he bought me a few years ago) with a learn to run program in it and I just started - walk 1 minute run 1 minute and so on.

2009 has been the year of the race for me:

2 5kms

2 10kms (so far, a third is coming up)

1 15km

1 10 miler and

1 21.1 km

I may not have lost a lot of weight (although I really should) but I am definitely a whole heck of a lot healthier now than I was a year ago. I really didn't expect to like running much and am pleasantly surprised to find I LOVE IT!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Hello all, My name is Andrew and I'm from Long Island New York, just a few miles east of NYC.

I started running "consistently" 5 months ago and joined this group about 2 months back.

I've lost 10+ lbs and feel much healthier (except for the sore legs )

I ran my first 1/2 in early October and hope to run another in the spring.

I've received a lot of helpful advice from this Group (as well as other RA forums) so I plan to stick around.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm Teresa. I'm a 47-year-old mother of three kids - two boys, 14 and 17, and a girl, 11.  My oldest son is a really fast distance runner (16:14 PR in the 5k, on cross country trails) and will be running in college next year (I'm learning all about college recruiting this year).

When I started running three years ago, I couldn't make it even 1/4-mile.  I am very slow, but that's OK, as Larry keeps reminding me.  I live in southern Maine, so running during the winter is challenging.  I have run two HMs, one this October and one last.  I decided to take a little break this month, but I'll be back at it hard beginning next week.  Oh, I lost 30 pounds after I started running and have kept it off for two years.

I've been on RA for a couple of years now.  The log and people here are definitely the reasons I've kept running consistently.

Hi Everyone my name is Lorie .I live on north central Ma . I'm 36 with two kids 13 and 11. I started running almost 21/2 years ago. Since then I have ran 5 5ks, 2 5 miles races ,1 10k ,3 halfs and 1 full marathon. My best 5k was 24:? and my 10k was under 1 h. my best half was 2:03.My full took me 4:55!

My next planned race is the Sunday befor thanksgiving 5 miles and on Thanksgiving a 5k.

Plans for next year is a Half in Hyannis ,ma on Feb 28.

I love to run but also like to cross train.I love spin class and weights too!!

Ringmaster

It's nice to get to meet everyone; thanks, Larry. You're always the one with the good ideas!

I'm Karina--I started walking to lose weight about four years ago and when I got to 5 miles it just took too long so I started running short distances--an eighth of a mile was all I could do that first day! But one day I ran a whole mile, and then one day I was running all five miles. My first race was a 5k in December of 07 and since then I've run a few 5 and 10ks, two half marathons, and one 26.2. I'm finishing up training for my third half, hoping to come in under 1:50, which is my current PR. After that I'll go straight into training for my second marathon at the end of February.

On the personal side, I've been married for nine years and I entered the 35-39 age group TODAY! I have two kids, 6 and a week from 4. I'm supposed to be a stay at home mom, but find that I'm not actually home very much.

Welcome, all. Running is more fun when it's shared with more.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

Hangin' with Hal!

Shoot, while we're "invading", might as well leave a mark!

Anyways, I'm Rob, 31, down in the Deep South, the Mississippi Gulf Coast (just a stone's throw from Biloxi).  I've been an on-again, off-again runner since probably my freshman year of high school in East Texas, where I competed in the 1600 and 3200 meter runs during football offseason.  Of course, I was in a lot better shape back then!  I got serious back to running last fall, after I gained about 20 lbs due to a knee injury that kept me off my feet for a couple of months.

I completed my first half marathon in September (the USAF Half in Dayton, OH) with a chip time of 2:01:27...and now I'm hooked!  Slated to run 3 more half's in December (the Dallas White Rock Half), January (Mobile's First Light) and February (Rock 'n Roll Mardi Gras Half), then running my first full in May (Pittsburgh Marathon).

On a more personal note, when I'm not running, I'm usually watching football (GIG'EM AGGIES and go Cowboys!) or NASCAR, playing golf, fishing, or doing yardwork.  Also, y'all will probably learn that I'm not that big a fan of anything below freezing...I was born and raised in the South, and lived here most of my life.  I did live in Nebraska for 4 years, just too dang cold up there in the winters!

Anything else y'all want to know, feel free to holler!  Most of the CR/Active folks will tell you I tend to be a talker. Wink

Karinia- Happy Birthday!!!!

I LOVE you Rob!! You are a hoot!!

So, while I'm here, I should introduce myself.

My name is Jenny and I live in Atlanta, GA. I am 44 years old, married, and have only one child - 13 y/o with 4 legs and chocolate brown fur.

I have been running off and on for 15 years. Would usually run a few 5Ks and a 10K every year. That 10K is The Peachtree Road Race on July 4th every year. My husband and I also volunteer before the race then run the 6.2. BTW for anyone that does not know, The Peachtree Road Race has 50,000 registered runners/walkers and closes in about a weeks time.

In May of this year I (finally) got serious about running and will run my first HM on 1/9/10.

It's been a journey so far and I have "met" some great people! I look forward to continuing the journey.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Welcome ya'll! My signature and profile kind of summarize my running experience. I currently live in Fort Worth, TX, just turned 63 and will be running 1st half in the FW Marathon on 11/8. My second will be with my Son in Atlanta on Thanksgiving day. He lives in Suwanee, and I spent almost 12 years in Austell.

I hope others welcome you guys to RA. I've found it friendly and useful especially for logging runs and more recently getting advice from more experienced runners by making more use of the forums.

bob e v
                      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

redleaf

Hi everyone! I just wanted to wish Karina a happy birthday!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

doc825

hey everyone, thanks larry for the wlecome, i like it here a lot.

my name is crissie, 32, happily married to my english bloke, born and raised in philly (oh yeah, go phillies kick yankee butt!! ). started doing TM walk/runs (jogs more like it) for lord only knows how long (years and years and years)until one day (march 12, 2009 to be exact!) i ran 3.5 straight thru.  was determined to run the broad street run in may 09 (ten miler). finished in 1:51. have ran 4 5Ks (33:16, 31:15, 28:45, and 27:something, still waiting on results!! ), 1 10K, one 5 miler, one 10 miler, and just completed my first half on 9/20 2:26 (looking to kick this time's butt in march!).  (ps- quit smoking 3/14 so that helped my running along a lot!)

my next half will be the shamrock half in va beach. doing the "dolphin challenge." 8k saturday, half sunday.

i'm a proud member of joe's army Smile (i love that name!)

i love running, good beers, going to concerts and love cooking (as much as eating! :-) )

i try not to take anything too seriously because life is short, we're meant to enjoy it and have fun!

very happy to find such great running resources and so greatful for everyone's advice and kind words!

oh yeah- and did i mention, GO PHILLIES!

Snowman

Hello everyone, my name is Don and I'm a running addict.  But known as Snowman.

I'm just like my buddy Rob but I'm from the North.  I'm from Flint, Michigan.  I've lived in Texas and Florida for a while so I understand the weather you guys have to run in (much respect).  I'm 30 but feel 60.   I ran in High School Cross Country my Senior year and that was it.  I've always tried to keep up with running but usually was too hung over to run much.  This is the first year that I've taken running seriously, doing races and workouts, and made some life changes.

I began this past May doing my first 5k race since High School.  I started doing a race almost every weekend and slowly began upping the distance.  First 10k was in July.  First 10 miler was in August.  First Half Marathon was in September.  And my first Marathon will be this April.  I've loved every second of it!

I am single which makes training a little easier (not even dating).  All of you with families, I can't imagine how you squeeze in your workouts and still have energy for your family.  Amazing!!!  I have to deal with weight issues, not losing weight, but keeping weight on.  I'm 6'1 and 145-150lbs, had an eating disorder for 5 years. 

This year I've run:

10 - 5k's     

2 - 5 milers   

4 - 10k's     

2 - 10 milers    

2 - Half Marathons   

And I'll be running 3 more races this year.  Two 5k's and a 4 miler.

I am the lowest rank in Joe's Army!  I think that'd be the Court Jester or something. 

I have to say that its great seeing runners from all over.  I'm so thankful for all the suport I've gotten.  I have to tell you the one think I've learned from running:  Be thankful for who you are, no matter what.  Its so easy to compare yourself to others, especially in running.  If you strive to be like someone else, you'll never succeed.  Be who you are and strive to better youself, not be someone else.  Then you will realize that you are just who you want to be.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses

Gone all jock on y'all.

My name is Anj which is not short for Anjela or Anjelique or Anjie-poo but is a nickname that I got later in life, and basically merged my real first name and middle name.

I am a total Type A Aries (five planets and also rising).  So even when I am slow, I am uber-competitive and rude/aggressive/terrible about passing.  I'm learning not to yell "eat my dirt!" to the grannies I pass in the supermarket.  Bad habits die a hard, slow death.

I am in RI and love the state and have cycled pretty much all of it.  I love my road bike.  I also just got a mountain bike and have taken that all over the state parks in Southern RI and parts of other states as well.  I am a bit falling-averse and know that I have so much more potential if only I wasn't so afraid of falling.
                              I ran in high school and was an average runner - did 400s and long jump.

I quit smoking in 03 and quit drinking in 04 and blew the dust off of an old steel bike hanging in the garage.  I re-inspired my DH to get back on his bike (he used to ride competitively) and we ride a lot together.
                              I have a daughter on her way to art school.  She's a junior and very serious about her work.  She's a great kid and a beautiful person.  She does not run but occasionally rides a very heavy old klunker of a bike.
                              She thinks I'm a jock.  But it's cool, she says.

If you had told me seven years ago, as I sat in a bar with my shot of Dewars and Guinness Stout smoking my Marlboros that in seven years I would run a half marathon, I would have laughed snortingly, patted you on the back, and ordered you a martini.

I like running more than the high I got from all of that.

Life is way better now.

That's all I gots to say about that.

I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!
                              JoeInTX

Hello!  I'm Joe, I run in SE Texas, in Katy, about 25 miles west of downtown Houston.  I'm 51 but that will change next week.  I'm married, with 3 grown children.  

I started running for better health in 2002.  Started with a 5K training group for adults.  The following year joined a local affiliate of USAFit training for my first 1/2 marathon.  I've run about a dozen 5K's, several 10K's and 5? HM's.  I'm still trying to break 2:30.  

Ideal running weather to me is 65F, low humidity and overcast.  Below 50F and its starts to feeling cold!   Also, I never run without my trusty Garmin Forerunner 305.   

People who know me will tell you I like to eat Mexican food and have a Margarita.  Or is it the other way around? lol

Anything else?  Just ask.

Joe