Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 20 times)

hog4life

I will be starting the month with a RD.

Alright, I got a story, I know there has been countless threads, so I won't start another. I was talking to one of my running buddies yesterday, and he told me a story that he was attacked by a dog while out on a 10 mile run. He lives out in the country and was about 2 miles from his home. The dog was in a chain-link fence that had the double gates for the driveway. The gates were bent and twisted, so there was a large gap at the bottom. The dog charged him so quickly, that he never had time to stop running. He was bit very badly 3 times, all on the same leg. Bleeding like hell, nowhere to go, no trees, no cars, no neighbors. Finally a lady drove by that managed to use her car as a shield to help him escape. He ended up at the ER, police report filed, and 6-7 weeks for the wounds to heal. It took the police 3 weeks to find the dog because to owner was hiding the dog. Then the owner moved and got off the hook!

I would have killed that fucking dog!! I'm sorry, I am a dog owner of a large breed(Doberman), and if my dog ever mauled someone like that, I would kill that bitch myself. My buddy is scared to death now, and won't run there again, even though the shitheads moved. So after hearing this, I had my wife buy me some pepper spray to start carrying!!

Do you carry something?

The dog was a PIT BULL!! Another straw in my basket of why I dislike and don't trust that breed.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That is scary for sure! I don't carry anything; pepper spray or Mace are illegal in Canada unless you are law enforcement with proper permits. I run in the city and always give my husband a good idea what route I am running. That's not to say there aren't bad dogs in the city. There is one guy in my neighbourhood who has 3 rotties. One morning they attacked and killed the small dog a runner had with them; his response was that she shouldn't have shown fear of his dogs. He had them muzzled for about a month then stopped. I don't know how he didn't lose them. I will turn and run the other way instead of passing him with his dogs. I don't trust them. So far I've never had a dog problem on a run, knock on wood.

This is the start of race time for me -- 5K on Sept 12 with my 8 year old, half on Sept 13 and 10k on October 03. Kids are back to school today so I'll have more flexibility with running too. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

A terrible story. Its so sad that a dog would be so wild/ abused to attack - and the owner should have been arrested! Not allowed to carry spray here, but most of my runs are very urban - always someone around even early around 6 when I go. I didn't think of an off leash dog possibility on Sunday on my more remote "rails to trails" run. I'll have to consider it.

Still quite sore after sunday's long run (12.2 miles).  I managed a 60 minute slog yesterday and a spin class today but I'm very sore. And whiny! Hoping for a better tomorrow.

Happy wednesday, A

Recalculating...

hog4life

5 miles easy tonight. Got a question for the group. I am looking for some opinions on pace for my upcoming half on the 12th. I have been relatively healthy this cycle, and feel that my target pace might be off. I have been thinking a 8:45 pace all along, but some of my runs are pointing to something a bit faster. My PR is 1:51(8:31 pace), with 3 more halves less than 2:00, but the majority of my halves are around 2:03-2:12.

Las week I had a 10 mile tempo run that was smoking!! The Splits went like this, 9:42, 8:32, 8:28, 8:12, 8:27, 8:26, 8:19, 8:15, 8:01, 9:53.....for an OA pace of 8:38. I had an 18.4 mile LR last weekend at 9:26 OA pace, and a 21 miler a couple weeks ago at a 10:04 pace. I've been logging some solid 40+ mile weeks, with some 33-35 mile weeks as cutback.

Would it be too far fetched for me to go out with the 1:50 pace group(8:24 pace)?

an amazing likeness

Would it be too far fetched for me to go out with the 1:50 pace group(8:24 pace)?

No, it would not be far fetched at all based on your recent training. The key will be to be smart and pull the ripcord and let them go if you need to dial back a bit -- but bail before you run yourself into the ground. Let's arbitrarily say you decide to dial back from 8:25s to 8:40s at, oh, mile 8...you'll still nail the low 1:5xx times.

Just be smart about it..some pacers do a crummy job and go out way to fast to bank time. Let 'em go if that's the case, you'll catch them in a few miles.

Put that training to work and go get it!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

Thanks MT, I always value your opinions. I think what you said is spot on. Maybe the pacers will be at the expo so I can talk with them a little, if not, then I can ask about banking time prior to the race start.

I had another good tempo run this morning of 9 miles that ended with an OA pace of 8:46. I did the first half closer to 8:30 and the 2nd half closer to 9:00. I felt like I could have kept at the 8:30 though.

an amazing likeness

My experience with pacers is limited, but there have a been a few times I've hung with a pace group for a while to help me just run without having to think about pace/time/distance. I found it best to be somewhat 'elastic' about running with the pacer....let them stretch a lead when it happens, then you'll close it naturally; or maybe you'll pull ahead a bit and then fade back to them, etc.

The two challenges I see pacers introducing are: (1) in every race with pacers I see runners using a lot of energy to stay right up with the pacer, and (2) inexperienced pacers go out fast to be 100% certain they are on time and account for course / garmin distance skew and then start dialing it back at 11 or 12mi to hit their target.

Just a couple thoughts...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I ran with a pacer a couple of years ago at QCM and it was a great experience. Last year, I went out on own because there was a 215 and 230, but I wanted a 2:20 and thought 215 was too fast. Unforunately, the 230 pacer blew past me about mile 9 and mentally I just couldn't pull it together after that. (I finished 226, slower than my previous two halfs, and behind the  230 pace bunny by about 3 minutes. First time I cried post race.) I'm reallygetting nervous about the same race this year. (We're 9 days out now.) The route has changed quite a bit this year; about half of it is different. I know that means it's a course PR no matter what happens, but I'd really like to get back on the PR wagon with this race. I had improved 4 years in a row before my awful run last year. (My current PR is from a half three weeks after last year's race.)

Argh! I hate race training nerves.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

I had my 2 year checkup colonoscopy this morning, so I've been napping most of the day. The report was good with only one small irritated spot seen that the doctor took a biopsy from. He said it was one of my best colonoscopy he has seen. Hopefully I'll feel recovered enough to run a few miles.

Great news Mitch, and Meg all of your training will pay off! Money in the bank. Hopefully you can rest and relax before your racing next week..

I'm headed out for 90 minutes - very autumn like this morning, right now only 50*F but it will be in the 60s soon.   Ive had a cut back week this week - which is lucky since the runs havent been great. I went to the PT yesterday and we stretched out the back well, hope it helps. Then going home to NYC for awhile to hang out with my mom who had a hip replacement this week. I'm hoping it wont be too warm for my Central Park runs.

Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...

hog4life

I managed 4 miles this morning. I cut it short due to the fact that I was volunteering at a race. Good thing too because I think I am still a bit dehydrated.

A, hopefully the weather will cooperate for you.

erinr

A, I'm jealous of that weather!  The humidity was 100% (with temps in the high 60s) when I went out for my run today.  I cut it short due to a combination of really tired legs, gross weather, and wanting to make sure I made it to an appointment on time.  We had to take my old dog to the vet because he's been having trouble walking.  I was pretty sure he was going to have major problems (worried it was neurological), but it looks to be just atrophy and arthritis.  He got some meds for pain/stiffness, so hopefully he'll be able to be more active.

That's awful, Mitch.  I've heard enough scary stories that I would definitely carry some kind of protection if I ran in the country.

Good luck on your races, Meg!  A 5K followed by a half?  I hope your 8 year old is slow Smile

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

We had an inch of rain overnight and it's been really windy and crappy all day. It's finally down to 25 gusting to 36 kph and still only 13*C/55*F. I still need to go run today. I'm not convinced I'll run the 9 mi on the schedule for today. Set to run 6 mi tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be be crazy windy all weekend. At this point training is basically done and it's not going to make a big difference if I hit my numbers or not. Supposed to still rain more.

Good luck on your races, Meg!  A 5K followed by a half?  I hope your 8 year old is slow Smile

Races are next weekend. I did the 5K with her last year. She hit the 1 mile marker at 12 minutes, turned around (because I was about 10 feet behind her at that point since I could've weave through like her) and said "come on, Mom, you're slowing me down" and then we walked/ran the rest and finished around 46 minutes. It was fun! This year, I don't know what it'll be like. She won't run the whole thing and I expect it will be similar this time. If I wasn't doing the 5K, I'd be running an easy 2 miler.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

In New York with mom and her new hip. Hottest run of the year 85F although not too humid, just a short one to rev up for 90 minutes tomorrow (definitely at dawn!) Love running at home.

A

Recalculating...

hog4life

In New York with mom and her new hip. Hottest run of the year 85F although not too humid, just a short one to rev up for 90 minutes tomorrow (definitely at dawn!) Love running at home.

A

Hope your mom is doing ok.

I got an easy 7.5 this morning. Will head to packet pick up on Friday morning, then finish up a little bit of shopping, and rest, fuel, hydrate at the cabin the rest of the day. Saturday morning race day is almost here!!