Half Marathon Trainers

Hello! (Read 25 times)

buckindb

Hello all!

I'm new to the group and thought that I'd post a status update.

I'm 4 weeks into training for my first HM.  I've been running for a little over a year.  During this past year I've completed some 5Ks, a 10K, and a 10-miler.  I will run my first HM with my brother on Oct 13.

As I said, I am 4 weeks in, and unfortunately must rest for a couple of days now.  My daughter started cross-country practice at about the time that I started my training plan.  I run with her during practice for encouragement.  On Monday, I decided to run intervals with her team, and probably over-exerted myself in doing so.  The next day I cut my training run short due to strains in both calves.  I was able to get in my complete run yesterday, but with terrible performance.  Today I'm taking off and will just rest until my long run this weekend. :-(

Too much, too quickly out of the gate, I guess!  I'm not sure if it's all the added miles, or the intervals, which did me in.  I'm going to find a way to alter my training plan to include her practices (and just lengthen the amount of time that I run at practice).

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome to the group!

If you are logging your runs on RA, you may want to make your log public or even just accessible within this group if you want feedback on your training. What race did you pick for your first half?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

HI! and welcome Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Welcome, this is a great group that can give a ton of support and advice. Just guessing without more info, I would think the intervals may have been a big influence on the sore calves. Was your pace faster than your 5k pace?

Crazybonze

Cool, I am not the only one training to run a first 1/2 marathon. We are on pretty much the same schedule. This is my 4th week training and my race is on October 20th. I wish you the best of luck and welcome.

Zelanie

Welcome!  I just ran my first HM in April, just about a year after I started running! Smile  I hope that your calves are feeling better after a bit of rest.

I also have gotten great feedback here thanks to keeping my log public.

buckindb

Thanks everyone!  Sorry for the delayed response (I thought that I might get an e-mail if I were "subscribed", but none came through.)

I have been logging my runs and will make my log public.  Thanks in advanced for all your input!

The intervals were definitely faster than my 5K pace.  The intervals themselves were an all out sprint for 200m (I think), followed by ~1.5 minute rest.  We did this 6 times.

My calves do still feel a bit tight.  I've been trying to spend some extra time stretching before and after each run, and also some additional stretching throughout the day.

As for my first HM, I'm running the Iron Horse Half-Marathon in Midway, KY (http://www.ironhorsehalfmarathon.com/)

an amazing likeness

Looks like a beautiful race course.  (Interestingly, there is also another "Iron Horse Half Marathon"  in Simsbury CT, early June)

I've been doing heel drops on the edge of stair / step for calf stretching and one thing I learned recently from one of the big guns here on RA was to only do the "drop" part of the stretch and not the "push up"....seems to be working well for me.

You've got a nice looking training plan setup, execute that well and you'll have a great result in your first half.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

buckindb

Here's a general training question for everyone...

Let's assume that a training plan calls for an Easy 5 miles.  Does that mean a single 5 mile run, or can I break the 5 miles into 2 separate runs that day? I feel that a Long Run should be a single session, but what about a mid-week 5-miler.  Could I run 3 miles in the morning and 2 miles in the evening?

an amazing likeness

Breaking it into doubles is better than running fewer miles, but does not deliver the same physiology benefits as running the miles in one session.

Do the miles in one session

...is better than:

Breaking it into doubles or taking a (longer than short pause) break

...is better than:

Running fewer miles

...is better than:

Not running any miles.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Crazybonze

Running doubles is really only practical when you really hit high millage, for instance to run a 100 mile week you would have to average  just over 14 miles a day without taking a day off. The best way would be to run a 10 miler followed by a 6 later that day. splitting a 5 miler would not be as effective because you don't really gain to many benefits for a run less than 20 minutes and you wouldn't be getting too much quality time in when the real counter starts right before you are about to finish your 3 mile run.

Zelanie

This is a very helpful post.  Thank you!

Breaking it into doubles is better than running fewer miles, but does not deliver the same physiology benefits as running the miles in one session.

Do the miles in one session

...is better than:

Breaking it into doubles or taking a (longer than short pause) break

...is better than:

Running fewer miles

...is better than:

Not running any miles.

buckindb

Training Update:

I know that I've been mostly silent since joining the group, so I figured it's time for an update...

I'm under 4 weeks till race day!  Training has been going well.  I let a some long runs lapse a couple of weeks ago, but I've mostly gotten back into the swing of things.  A recent park opening near my house (http://theparklands.org) has helped tremendously!  Last week I was able to log an 8 mile run through the newly opened section of the park, and yesterday I logged a 10 miler!  The route is mostly flat, with some measurable hill work through one section.  Unlike the area around my neighborhood, which is mostly up-and-down, up-and-down.  The flats have given me a bit more confidence as I've put in these longer miles.

The Parklands is hosting the inaugural Great Pumpkin 10K (http://greatpumpkin10k.com/), on the Saturday following my HM.  I'd like to register and participate, but it seems too soon after the HM to race again.  Thoughts?

Good luck to everyone racing in the near future!

How soon after your HM is the 10K and what do you plan on doing with it?

I ran my PR HM on a Sunday 4 years ago and came back a week later and ran a PR 5K at 20:51 and I was 56 years old at the time.  It can be done, but only you know your peak performance, conditioning and aches and pains.

I say play it by ear and if you feel good register the day of the event.  You can go easy with it and just have a fun race.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

buckindb

Larry,

My HM is on Sunday, 10/13.  The 10K is the following Saturday on 10/19.  Good idea about registering the day of the event.  I had not even considered it.

David