Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - April 2011 (Read 809 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Great to see this training group picking up with some more members!  Welcome all!  It is good to read about other people progress/ battles/ races

I ran 13.6km today in the rain at a slow pace with a guy from the running club.  Felt pretty easy but we were running pretty slow.

30km last week and two good sized hikes so definitely building the fitness and strength again.  One video I made of one of them; a very cold hike with one of my daughters and her running friend here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0vw8phBv8

And some good news. My ex workmate (who knocked off the taupo ironman in about 10:30 this year)  is coming back to work with us again.  He is kind of a running mentor for me. This will see invaluable advice and motivation moving back into the office!! Yay!

I have also pretty much decided I will try the full marathon at Auckland (well today i have anyway)....still have to sign up though.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

I have been running steadily for 2 months now and I have a 10K may 21, but I want to run a half june 4. Is it possible? Let me know your thoughts

Hi Rae

Welcome!!  Can you tell us something about the training you are currently doing?  Even better make your training log public.  We'd be able to help better with your question.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I've been absent from this forum for awhile myself. Have had many interruptions in my running for the last few months. I foolishly signed up for income tax prep for Jackson Hewitt and they took advantage of my being retired and flexible. Than DD2 had twin boys via emergency C-section, followed by 2 wks in NICU and her being hospitalized twice from Postpartum Psychosis. So its been hectic. I also aggravated both calves from running my hilly neighborhood all the time. I'm now spending more time driving to more level trails and reducing the neighborhood get out the door approach. Should be able to bring my time up to a 8-10hr/week goal with whatever mileage that generates. Am also transitioning to more BF running. One reason is so I can save on $ by not buying shoes... LOL

I have been running steadily for 2 months now and I have a 10K may 21, but I want to run a half june 4. Is it possible? Let me know your thoughts

Hard to say, since your log is not public. If goal is to finish, then be sure to include walking and you'll probably be able to do it. But without seeing your log its hard to say. I started running at 61 and it took me about 15 months before I attempted first half. I went in stages from 5k, to 10k, then 15k, then half. Of course I didn't start running until after a heart attack which meant I need Cardiologist clearance for each stage.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Beginner all over again

If you want to know whether it is "possible"

you might want to check out Galloway's Run/Walk/Run HM training "to finish"

training plan and see what you think (scroll down a bit)

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html 

Most of the time, if you train gently enough, avoid injury, and are willing to walk in the race, things become Very Possible

If you are trying for BQ pace, or some sort of PR, that might be a different story.

Do you keep your log on RA?

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Well I made my goal to clock up over 100km in April. 1st of May today, up early and about to head out on a <>17km in very stormy weather before heading across town to watch the kids race in a relay event (3km each for my girls).  It's gonna be a very wet day.  Looking forward to tonight's roast chicken!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well I made my goal to clock up over 100km in April. 1st of May today, up early and about to head out on a <>17km in very stormy weather before heading across town to watch the kids race in a relay event (3km each for my girls).  It's gonna be a very wet day.  Looking forward to tonight's roast chicken!

Good stuff! Smile

Unfortunately, today I bagged a run early because I just couldn't push myself to keep going. Just mentally tough in crappy weather. Wind 59kph gusting to 72kph and only 3*C (38*F). I managed to get 2 miles (probably only because the tailwind was so good.) Going into that is just hard to breath.

Overall though, I'm starting to be more consistent with my runs.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

managed 19km this morning

and i note Mandy did very well in the Rotorua Half, will let her go into the details Smile

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Thanks vino :-)  Yes a totally surprising good run at Rotorua.  There's a race report here - its a bit longwinded.  Sorry.

Short version.  1.30.58.  Surprised and happy. 5th lady, 2nd over 35.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Mandy - Aaron Pulford at 1:05 something, wow what a young talent...he blitzed everyone!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Mandy - Aaron Pulford at 1:05 something, wow what a young talent...he blitzed everyone!

Not too shabby for a 19 year old!

MTA: although his time (along with all of ours - grrrr) have now had 2 mins added.  Serves me right for running without a wacth and trusting the organisers to be organised.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

1:05/ 1:07 whichever way you wanna look at it, that is damn quick!!  I dont even think I can run that fast for 400 metres hehe

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

Beginner all over again

I was pleased with my Wrap-Up of April

I finally got some consistency in training.

My Log graphs make this quite evident.  I'm pleased.

And now on to May 2011

Just got going again- how many times is that.

Congratulations to all those who are able to run consistently, you have my respect!

One encouraging thing is Idon`t seem to lose my fitness as quickly as most people, I did the last mile of my 5 miler tonight at a 7:20 pace, which is decent for me.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Keep it up Simon.

A light few days for me, spent the day timekeeping the junior cross country relays at our club on sunday (My kids team won the intermediate schools race from a field of about 40 teams so that is great!!!)

Ran a very ploddy awful feeling energyless 10km on Saturday which I was not very impressed with

Hill repeats tonight with the kids...gotta get some fun back into my training as my 100% first aim at the moment is to keep fresh and enjoy running with miles the 2nd aim. 

I am aiming for 120km this month and still on track Smile

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: