Half Marathon Trainers

3 weeks and Shins. (Read 295 times)

Finished!

I posted on the main board about my shin woes I need some sage advice on what I should do if miracles don't happen and the shin splints don't resolve. My HM is slated for about 3 weeks away Sad what an awful time to come down with shin splints! Also, is there even a chance that they'll resolve? OR should I give up, call the race director and plead for mercy and see if they'll hold my registration as a credit towards next yr?
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      I had a sore foot issue that decided to spring up 3 wks before my 1/2M last year... here's what I did: 1) I snuck in an 11 mile run 2 wks before the race and then did a massive taper.... way back on mileage.... that helps all of your body get ready for the race, but also helps the sore stuff heal. 2) Ibuprofen... mostly round the clock in the week prior to the race.... 3) I did alternating hot/cold treatments nightly for the 2 weeks before the race.... that's not as easy to do with shins as it is with a foot, but you can ice insanely..... twenty minutes at a time, 2-4 times per day.... The combination of fewer miles and insane treatment *should* alleviate things enough to get through the race... In my case, I just wasn't willing to pack it in when I'd trained so much. For what it's worth - it didn't cure the foot and after the 1/2M I had to take 3 full weeks off, but it did enough good that the 1/2M itself was relatively pain free.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Finished!

The combination of fewer miles and insane treatment *should* alleviate things enough to get through the race... In my case, I just wasn't willing to pack it in when I'd trained so much. For what it's worth - it didn't cure the foot and after the 1/2M I had to take 3 full weeks off, but it did enough good that the 1/2M itself was relatively pain free.
        See? that last bit is what I'm afraid of - call me a wimp Wink I do know I'm going to be rather upset if I have to cancel.
        Walk + Jog = wog.
        I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
        I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry