Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - March 15 and 16 (Read 19 times)

redleaf

Well, it seems as though we're at the start of a new season - at least those of you south of the border. We got walloped with more snow and freezing temps this week in Toronto. You'd never guess spring was scheduled to begin next week...

March 15, 2014 Zelanie iRun for Kids 10 miles Albany, OR 1:26:13   course PR attempt
      March 15, 2014 hog4life Rumpshaker 5K 5K Birmingham, AL 23:30    
      March 16, 2014 redleaf 15th annual Achilles St. Patrick's Day 5k 5K Toronto, ON TBD    
      March 16, 2014 Barbs595 New Bedford Half 13.1 miles New Bedford, MA <2:31   course revenge!
      March 16, 2014 Rondog New Bedford Half 13.1 miles New Bedford, MA TBD  

Barb is looking forward to finishing the race that injured her the last time she ran it. And nice to see Rondog is running it too.

Zelanie is running what sounds like a lovely route. The race description includes the phrases: "meanders over the Willamette River" "through the charming historic district" "beautiful countryside roads, on to quaint West Albany  neighborhoods, back through the historic district, over the bridge and to the  finish." Sounds idyllic.

hog4life's race has the funnest name I've seen in a while and is centred on a National Historic Site in Birmingham. That's cool. Sorry, that's hot - it was a furnace making iron!

I get a pint at the end of my 5k. Hoping to snap me back into the running spirit which the winter weather has driven away in a cloud of white flakes.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

Thanks for getting this week's intrepid racers topic up and running Redleaf !

Looking at the field covered in fresh snow outside the window it’s hard to keep the faith that spring is coming. But there are signs…the maple trees are sporting their sap buckets as backyard syrup season gets started, the local skating pond has gotten rough and bumpy from melting and re-freezing, and you could lose a small car in the potholes and frost heaves. Just need some rain to melt the snow pack, and a few hardy crocuses to push up and we’ll have turned the corner…

Looks to me like Hog4life is putting in a strong entry for  the 'best race name' award!  But it's still early in the season.

In addition to Barbs985 and Rondog, the New Bedford Half will be packed with RA runners -- some of the names you may recognize from the main forum: xhristopher, mikeymike, BadDawg, Bucci, Bash -- these folks are fffaassst -- most will be aiming to run under 1:20. That's unfathomable to me.  Can you picture a race in Boston, on St Patrick's day, put on by "The Friendly Sons of St Patrick"..the bars in New Bedford are busy post-race.

I have a feeling Zelanie has that 10mi PR in the bag since last year she ran it as a pace test for HM training.

Hope everyone has a great race day, Go get 'em!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good luck everyone!

I know I won/t see any of those other RA racers, I can't even run that time in my sleep.  Feeling pretty good about the race - trying to trust in the training.  New training to me, so the main goal is to finish without injury and hope for a decent time.  supposed ot be about 38 and sunny,  I would like a little warmer, but I will take no snow or rain any day for a race.  Cherrieruns is also doing the NB Half with her wrist in a splint.  She is my running partner so it should be fun.  Start together and meet at the finish!  Would be nice to run into Rondog, but it is so hard with all the people.  I have heard around 3000 signups so far..

Hog I had to read that race name twice, going to be hard to beat that!

Zel - you are going to crush it

Red - I know you will give it all you got and I hope it gives you some motivation especially since you hate the 5k distance..I will be watching FB

Spring please come soon!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Rondog65

Just a quick note to wish everyone a good running weekend and good luck to all who are racing.

Trying to psych myself up for the race.  This is my first attempt at the New Bedford Half, after hearing it is a great course.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

hog4life

Good luck to everyone racing! Me included.

I run this same race last year and paced for a friend bc I got there late and didn't have time for proper warmup. My friend PR'd by over one minute With a time of 26:45. He is much faster this year, and although he will shoot for sub 25:00, I will be going for a PR too, and hopefully leaving him well behind. We plan to have lunch afterwards, so will get to do some catching up.

This will be a good test since my battles with PF last summer, and the lengthy recovery after the marathon. I have been getting in some decent speed work, so we shall see. The weather forecast looks promising!

Zelanie

Wow, lots of racers this weekend!

Redleaf- Thanks for getting this started!  Hope the race is just what you need to feel the running spirit, whatever the weather!

And the course for the race is exactly like it is described.  Last year, one of my most vivid memories is watching the sun rise over the Willamette as we went over the bridge for the first time.  It was beautiful with the mist coming off the river.  Then it does head right out into the farmlands for a bit.  Then, when you get back into town, just about everybody is out on the course cheering.  It's a fundraiser for the foundation for the school district where I work, so lots of kids come out and cheer, as well as board members, families, etc.  Several coworkers are walking the 5K, and my boss is also running the 10 miler this year.  She also joined weight watchers a year or so ago and is down about 75 pounds so far.  Her goal is around 1:30, so if she finds out that she's faster than she thinks she is mid-race, I may have some running to do to stay ahead of her!

milktruck- We finally have spring out west.  Hope it arrives there soon!  I am running the race this year for the same purpose and off the same training plan, so it should be a real good indicator of my progress this year.  But maybe it went so well last year because I showed up relaxed and wasn't so worried about my pace since it was "just" a tune up?

Barbs- 38 at the start sounds really nice.  I think that's the forecast here, too.  Hope you have a great race!

Rondog- Good luck!

Mitch- Have a great race!

Cyberic

I wish everyone a great race!

Hope everyone has a great race!  Fingers crossed for good weather and PRs to be shattered!

Ready, go.

Docket_Rocket

Good luck, everyone!  Don't forget to report back!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Quick check in, I'll report more later, unofficial PR of 23:20!

an amazing likeness

All right, all right, all right...called it and ran it, nice job!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

Wow! Congratulations on that!

Zelanie

No PR for me, missed it by 24 seconds.  It was a slower field overall this year and quiet where I was, so hard to maintain focus.  Still a solid run, but don't quite have the legs under me.

Rondog65

Hog4life great job on the PR!!

Zelanie so close on the PR, rooting for you!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Awesome job Hog.

Zel so close. You will get it next race

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189