Half Marathon Trainers

September training and chatting. (Read 477 times)

HappyFeat

LPH - I know you can do the HM even though it's so close at hand. How exciting! Looking at your log, you have a good base and your pace is under 8m/m - wouldn't I love to be able to do that!Smile  You'll have a grand time and be so glad you did it!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Yea h, Larry hascrazy speed!

I agree with you both abouttoughness- its partly confidence based on your training, partly competitive instinct, and partly it really is just an obstinate refusal to give up. I have found it very useful towards the end of a race.

Glad to hear of your progress, Happyfeat, things are going well for you. I think you are likely right about posture, being erect should reduce the work done by back and abdominal muscles, and reduce fatigue.

Larry I am likely in 1:50 HM shape right now, optimistically perhaps, so some work to do. Hope your race goes well, take it a little easy so you donot reinjure your leg.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half marathon run. 2:35:25. Very disappointed.

Thanks for all the support while I was training for it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Meg - you did it! Good for you! By itself, it's quite an accomplishment; so don't beat yourself up too much for not meeting your time goal. Was there anything in particular that you can point to as to why it was so hard at the end?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat and Simon, thanks for the encouragement.  I'll have a beeter feel for things Sat and a better feel for the course. 

Meg, sorry you aren't pleased with your time, but somedays we just don't have it.  So in your mind, did you execute a good race or not?  If not, then what are you going to take away from the experience?  The important thing is, is that you did it when so many millions of people of sitting at home traiing to be couch potatoes.  So chin up and be proud to say you just ran another 1/2 marathon.

LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Sorry you did not run as well as you hoped, Meg. As Larry says, sometimes its just not our day.

I hope you will overcome the setback and move forward- odds are your next race will be a good one!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My next is a 10K in three weeks.

LP, things were going pretty well until the last 2 miles. It wasn't an issue of cardio. My legs felt ready to fall off. Then my mental toughness curled up in a ball, went to sleep and refused to acknowledge me.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Good Luck LPH

To suceed in a race you first have to turn up at the start line.  Cant achieve anything on the sofa

Have fun!!!

Meg, let your mind unwind.  If you like me you probably go through a post event doldrums then climb back into it :-)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                  Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

My next race is in 6 weeks!

Hmm I dunno if I like the training I have done for this one. listened to too much advice perhaps.  Just feeling slower Sad

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

I hear you, sometimes it just gets to us. Last Sept when I shattered my HM PR by over three minutes, I missed breaking 1:40 by a lousy 8 seconds, because I took a walk break somewhere around mile or so. My Mental toughness gave up, but came back again. I probably had a shot at 1:39 if I hadn't had a temporary breakdown. Quote from Meg "

LP, things were going pretty well until the last 2 miles. It wasn't an issue of cardio. My legs felt ready to fall off. Then my mental toughness curled up in a ball, went to sleep and refused to acknowledge me.

LPH

Craig, the thing about advice, is that there is a lot of it out there. But you have to determine when and if it suits your needs. I don't know of any of us who claim to be the experts or to know it all. What we offer is our personal touch from our own experience or research. Want to share further what the issues are so we can screw you up even more? Seriously, though, maybe you might want to share your thoughts and issues with us, after all you've got 6 weeks left to make adjustments. LPH

My next race is in 6 weeks!

Hmm I dunno if I like the training I have done for this one. listened to too much advice perhaps.  Just feeling slower Sad

LPH

Sam, Good to see you adding some speedwork into your runs.  How much did you increase your pace by for those runs in between the poles?

Now that I'm getting stronger, I've got to heed my own advice and start some speedwork. 

To answer your question (in another post) about doing long runs on the weekends, I think the overall answer is what HappyFeat siad, because we all work during the week and it's time consuming, we are kind of forced to do so. 

By the way, where in CT are there bumper boats?  The only ones I'm aware of n the area are in R.I.

I'm not sure how much I increased my pace, I wear a garmin however the space between poles is so short, I'm not sure if its accurate.

Bumper Boats are at the Bristol Batting Cages in Bristol, CT.

Good to see the board so busy recently!

How are things going, Sean?

A couple of decent easy runs for me the last two days, cooler weather is moving the pace up with less effort and nice relaxed breathing.

Good luck with your race Craig!

The newbie

Hey fellow trainers ... sorry I kinda fell off the face of the Earth. I was majorly sidelined by unprecedented allergies (of all things) for two weeks, during which I could take no medication because it would hinder the testing. Symptoms made me feel like I had the flu, so running was difficult. Turns out I'm allergic to almost everything, and severely allergic to grasses. Went back on antihistamines just in time to go on my vacation last week, where I managed to squeak in two runs ... one short, one longish, around 6 miles. 

Back to running seriously this week, but I am scared now, quite frankly. Scared that I don't have time to catch up on my training and won't be able to run my half next month. I'm still going to try, of course. At this point, all I can do is my best. Hope it's enough. I'm not confident it will be though ...

CanadianMeg, I'm sorry you were disappointed in your time but I'm still impressed with it. Smile Time aside, was it a fun race?

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Craig, the thing about advice, is that there is a lot of it out there. But you have to determine when and if it suits your needs. I don't know of any of us who claim to be the experts or to know it all. What we offer is our personal touch from our own experience or research. Want to share further what the issues are so we can screw you up even more? Seriously, though, maybe you might want to share your thoughts and issues with us, after all you've got 6 weeks left to make adjustments. LPH

Oh yes agree, and please don't anyone here take anything personally!!!  We all need to try things and I love reading up on others ideas. Some things seem to work, some don't.  I have advice from here, advice from an ex workmate who does ironman, advice from guys at the running club my kids go to.   This may sound stupid but I feel my best, I feel my sharpest when I train by "feel" more than by "programme".  It keeps me fresh.

Auckland is going to be a tough race, 1) the course I do not like - it is boring. 2) it is a huge field <> 15,000 runners so lots of dodging and hold ups, 3) It has the nasty harbour bridge to climb and is generally hillier. 4) The more I think of my 1:38 at taupo the more I am happy with it. I ran a pretty good race for the conditions.

But hey for Auckland make it a fun day and if I feel good on the day sub 1:40 again maybe but I am thinking more and more it will be 1:40-1:45.  By the time I get there I will be well closing in on my 1000 mile target for the year.  Then i can drop my milage back and go hiking Big grin

Trainingwise I will think over what I am doing and share tonight, i gotta rush now to work. 

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: