Half Marathon Trainers

September training and chatting. (Read 477 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

CanadianMeg, I'm sorry you were disappointed in your time but I'm still impressed with it. Smile Time aside, was it a fun race?

It was fun except for those last two. The cool part at the end of the race was getting my medal from John Stanton. (The sucky thing is that I finished 4 seconds behind the full marathon lead so the finish line photog didn't get any pictures of my finish. Just pics of me with my head down while getting my medal and you can't see my face.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Haven't posted in a while, so just checking in (I have been stalking though).

As you can see from the inconsistency in my log, I've been battling an injury for the last couple of months.

Last week it was diagnosed as a proximal hamstring strain and yesterday I started physical therapy.

For now, no running for 2 weeks, and then re-evaluate.

Mentally, it is tough to except, but assuming the doctor and the PT  are correct, it should be treatable/manageable.

I'm still holding out hope for my first full in March.

Congratulations Meg on your 1/2.  If it was easy, no one would care, and we probably wouldn't bother. 

And this user group probably wouldn't exist.

I agree with Awaldvogel- its not meant to be easy!

JFK said something about the effort to put a man on the moon, I may not be remembering the quote exactly, " This is not something we do because it is easy, this is something we do because it is hard".  (Sounds better with his accent)

Had a good run today, 10.6 miles approx, or 17kms, 1:32, marathon pace, I hope!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My motivation is in the toilet this week to get back out there. I'm just drained. Can anyone tell me if this is just typical post-big-race?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

My motivation is in the toilet this week to get back out there. I'm just drained. Can anyone tell me if this is just typical post-big-race?

Sure, it is. You had a goal.  Now you don't.  Set a new goal...

It doesn't have to be a big hairy audacious goal, but it could be.

It doesn't need to be a major race, but it could be.

Maybe it is a simple goal...like run 5 miles tomorrow.

Maybe it is a tick longer, like run every day for the next 3 days.

The hardest step, as they say, is the first one out the door.

Just my 2 cents...for what its worth. And all those other sayings.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Yes it is very normal.  I was the same after Taupo and it is definitely very hard to pick yourself up.  I reckon give yourself some days off and don't worry about the motivation.  rest, recover, relax.  The motivation comes back with a bit of time as your training feels better.  I found my training for about 10 days after my half felt sluggish and slow.  But it comes back.

Perhaps even do some different training for shorter distances and give the routine "half marathon training" a rest.  Perhaps try some trail stuff, hill sets or speed work...just whatever you "feel like" doing.  After a while you appetite for a more structured program returns and you can  hop back on it without too much loss

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

HappyFeat

LPH: gonna go for it this weekend?? expect so...GOOD LUCK! and HAVE FUN!!Big grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Yes I'm going for it. It's the Hogsback HM in Colebrook CT. I ran the course (well ran and walked) last Saturday , a day early for my long run, but because I was leaving for a business trip on Sunday, it was the only time I'd get it in. I was not properley prepared mentally, nutrionally or hydration. I waited too long out on the course to take gel pack and started crashing in mile 7. Finally made it through that but started crashing at mile 11 again. But the good news is that I made it through. So I went on line and registered that night so that I couldn't back out. The course starts with a short uphill and then is pretty much downhill for the first 2 miles. Very easy to go out too fast with a start like that, so I've got to work to try and keep my pace down to just under 8:00. I did a 1:51-1:52 last week, so I'm just going to aim to break 1:50. that should be an easy target for me to hit. Larry

LPH: gonna go for it this weekend?? expect so...GOOD LUCK! and HAVE FUN!!Big grin

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

I'm feeling slightly sick today, sore throat and body aches.  I planned to run 13 tomorrow, 12 next Saturday and then my 1/2 is the 9th of October.  Should I still do the 13 tomorrow?  My son has the sniffles so its probably just a cold and its not incapacitating me.   Just would like your 2 cents as I'm leaning toward sucking it up and running it.

We've all run with colds before, but you've got to be the judge. If you're going to run, get out early as it's going to be warm here again tomorrow and the heat and humidity won't help any. You might want to think about taking some hard candies or throat lozenges to suck on during your run to help keep it moist. However, if you aren't up to 13 tomorrow, don't push it., I think you've got enough miles in to get you through and then stick to the rest of your plan. So I assume if you're racing on the 9th, that you're doing the Hartford HM! I thought about it, but when I looked at it a month ago, I realized I was going to laying on the beach in Cancun at that time. Larry

I'm feeling slightly sick today, sore throat and body aches.  I planned to run 13 tomorrow, 12 next Saturday and then my 1/2 is the 9th of October.  Should I still do the 13 tomorrow?  My son has the sniffles so its probably just a cold and its not incapacitating me.   Just would like your 2 cents as I'm leaning toward sucking it up and running it.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Ran with the cold, had so much knee pain that I had to cut it short.  Not sure where the pain is coming from as its just been this past week.  Its an impact sport so I expect some aches and pains however knew better than trying to run through today.  Icing the knees, stretching and Ibenprofen.   

How was everyone elses long runs?

Sam

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Well 5 weeks to go for me and to be honest i've had two pretty lazy weeks.  It's just  hard to keep the motivatioin in top gear for 5 months which is what i have done. 

I am reverting back to training a bit faster as my experiment to go into the more hours, slower training just isn't working for me.  I am sure a few will think I am an idiot but hey.  I just seem to be getting slower and losing confidence, interest and speed.  It is my mind I need to get fit now, and just tune up the body a bit more

So did a tough 13 km yesterday at 4:50/km pace and for the first time in weeks today is a nice day here so might go treat myself to a flat scenic course today and run another 12-16km (see how it goes)

A piece of good news; daylight saving starts today so training after work has more possibilities above just stumbling around at dusk hoping you don't trip over a piece of uneven pavement! Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

By the way Mandy where art thou?

1:33:09 at Petone HM  Wow girl you are flying!! 

Congratulations!  I'm not gonna get anywhere near that at Auckland!

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals:

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well 5 weeks to go for me and to be honest i've had two pretty lazy weeks.  It's just  hard to keep the motivatioin in top gear for 5 months which is what i have done. 

Vino, I think you've hit one of those things that people so often don't talk about. You get focused on a race and when the race is over, there's an emotional letdown it's hard to get over. I had one really good run this week and one pretty mediocre one. I'm struggling to find my spot. At this point, I don't expect to PR my 10K next weekend, I just hope to finish better physically than last time which may or may not be time better.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Meg, yes its hard to keep on top of your game forever.  It's a game of peaking, coming off, and training to peak again. I did 14km today in a pretty rubbishy time yet again but at least it means my kms for the week is over 40, which is a good thing. The time doesnt concern me its just my technique seemed rubbish and didnt feel in control.  I seem a long way off my pre Taupo HM form

Decided today to blame equipment too.  I bought some new NB 740 shoes 150km ago, which is a nice shoe. But I just decided today they are a half size too big for running.  They felt good when I tried them on but I think my foot is a 9 1/4 so I always sit in two minds whether to get the 9 1/2 (which I do for hiking and really long days as foot swells and thicker socks - I even wear a 10 for hiking boots which are double socked) or a snug 9 which means foot doesnt have that slight movement in shoe with thinner socks.   So i went and spahed out on a pair of size 9 Kayano 16's. The NB's i can still use for hiking/ walking/ around home. Big investment but hopefully will encourage me to continue running next year.

Lets see if that gets me back on track. 

Personal Race Records:

2012 Goals: