Half Marathon Trainers

September training and chatting. (Read 477 times)

Well not much of a race report to give you, I crashed and burn in the first couple of miles.  As I had said earlier, the first couple of miles were alot of downhill and I didn't want to get going too fast.  So i was really holding back on my pace and was holding back my stride and hitting pretty heavy on the heels.  Then there was a little rise to go up and as I started up, my good calf went on me, I felt that same type of pop that I had felt on my other calf.  I knew immediately, it was the end of the race for me.  Fortunately for me, it wasn't too far from where my wife was waiting to see me so that I could get a ride back to the start.  There was no way I would have been able to walk back up the two + miles. 

Pretty damn sore today, can barely climb stairs or push off of it.  "IT Sucks", but what can you do. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Well not much of a race report to give you, I crashed and burn in the first couple of miles.  As I had said earlier, the first couple of miles were alot of downhill and I didn't want to get going too fast.  So i was really holding back on my pace and was holding back my stride and hitting pretty heavy on the heels.  Then there was a little rise to go up and as I started up, my good calf went on me, I felt that same type of pop that I had felt on my other calf.  I knew immediately, it was the end of the race for me.  Fortunately for me, it wasn't too far from where my wife was waiting to see me so that I could get a ride back to the start.  There was no way I would have been able to walk back up the two + miles. 

Pretty damn sore today, can barely climb stairs or push off of it.  "IT Sucks", but what can you do. 

Larry

It sucks when things come out of left field.  I remember my first alpine climb my whole focus was not to get freaked out with the heights, ice and exposure which i did really well - mind over matter, one step at a time, chunking up the task ahead into managable pieces.  Then bang out of left field I got bad cramp in the insides of my thighs.  Suddenly I was faced with the thought that something I had never considered an enemy or obstacle would end my climb.  Luckily in my case an understanding climbing partner, a short rest and sports drink got me over it and we continued on to summit.  But it always haunted me from then on how things we don't plan for can put a spanner in the works and ruin a whole trip!

So what now? Re group and try another??

5km race tonight at the club.  haven't decided whether to go hard or just easy yet...see how I feel.

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Sorry to hear of your disappointment, Larry. That seems really unfair that the good leg should be the one to cause trouble. I hope it will mend soon as you now have experience in dealing with this type of injury, at least a small positive!

Vino, I find after a big effort like a half marathon I often have problems running- can't breathe in my normal pattern, arms get sore, no sense of pace, no motivation. A 100% race effort takes a lot out of you and this seems to show up in unpredictable ways (for me anyway!). Be patient and it will come back.

22.2kms at easy pace for me, nice cool weather, I c ould feel my fitness gradually returning. I have not run that far since February.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That is lousy, Larry! Good for you though for knowing when to call it and not putting yourself through even more hell, making it worse.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

That is lousy, Larry! Good for you though for knowing when to call it and not putting yourself through even more hell, making it worse.

My thoughts exactly. So sorry about the bad luck, Larry.  It's obviously painful in more ways than one.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Congratulations on a great result in your race, Happyfeat!

Especially on a hilly course that was partlt trail, that is a very good time- how did it go with the fuellingéeating, we had discussed recently you were having some concerns on runs of longer than an hour?

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Thanks - I'm happy with my result. After learning the hard way in the past, I now subscribe to the rule: DO NOTHING DIFFERENT ON RACE DAYJoking

So I took my usual bottle of Heed and cubes of my current protein bar with me. As per the last 3 long runs,  I got hungry at 1 hour 20 minutes. I don't even care why any more; the cube snacks work fine for me. I only needed a couple after all. Then it was pretty warm really and I get hot; so I drank all my Heed by the end.

The newbie

Congrats HappyFeat! Sounds like a really beautiful race ... how are you feeling now? Any soreness or fatigue??

Thanks everyone for your concern. Right now, it's nothing but rest. I'm hoping in a couple of days, I can ride. I'm heading for Cancun Oct 8th-16th, so no sense in pushing the leg when I can get an extra week of rest on it anyway. Will do a lot of walking, swimming, some snorkling, and will indulge in a lot of liquid pain killer while on vacation. HappyFeat, great job on your race and congratulations. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

HappyFeat

Congrats HappyFeat! Sounds like a really beautiful race ... how are you feeling now? Any soreness or fatigue??

Thank you!

No fatigue, but yes I have a few sore muscles. I don't feel "beat up" though. No surprise since I didn't run flat-out. I ran 3 miles tonight, each mile slower than the last. Planned on 4, but 3 seemed wiser since my left quad was tender today and felt weak during the run tonight. I can always do 4 tomorrowWink