Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - April (Read 543 times)

Punkelvis

Actually its all worked out and the training is back on track. The shoes have been great and a little body glide  has eliminated the blisters. Also I have managed to get my Dad out on his bike and he chases me around. Its a good start for a guy who is 100 lbs overweight. The weather has turned here so the 28 C day we had here was hard to take but its all back to normal 20 degree weather now. I don't know how you warm weather runners do it! 7weeks left to race. woot!
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Meg - Looking good for five this week according to your log - nice one.

Thanks. Yep, I've never streaked before and suddenly it was 5 days and feeling really good. I took a day off and now I'm looking to run another 5 days in a row. Next week, I'm also going to try running first thing in the morning. Both my husband and my son are starting ball this weekend so I've got to find a different time to run. Someone please tell me running at 6 am gets easier after the first couple of days!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I've never streaked before and suddenly it was 5 days and feeling really good.

Careful with that streaking thing... It'll get you some strange looks! `

As for the mornings... yeah they get easier. Most of the time that's the only time I can run.

I think the trick is to get out the door before your mind really wakes up. I'm usually half a mile down the road before I'm awake!

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Okay, I've done two mornings runs, this morning in wet, falling snow. Why does my morning self think I'm fast? LOL!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

sAc238

Zeus

will have my first 1/2 of the year this Sunday.  Looking to go under 7:00/miles (1:31:40 ish).  But why screw with such an ugly number ... maybe should just go right for sub 1:30.  Sounds cooler that sub 7:00. 

Keep up the base miles, everyone.  Those are your core!  Any setbacks (sick / work / injury / travel) and if you have a good base, coming back to your current fitness level is MUCH easier.  Good luck everyone!

2nd life PR's: 19:24 5k / 39:52 10k / 1:27:36 1/2 mar / 3:08:03 marathon

Well April's a wrap for me. I'm off to play rugby/drink beer in Montana this weekend and won't be back until May.

April's been tough from a motivation standpoint; lowest monthly mileage since October last year.

Here's hoping for a better May... that 1500 pace bunny is going to be nipping at my heels by Tuesday.

Good luck to all of you racing this weekend - keep up the good work the rest of ya.

Catch you on the flip side

Cheers

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Lu481

Well I think my running is finally getting back on track.  I'm over 100 miles for the month again which is not what I could say for the last 3 months, thanks to a problem ankle in Jan and Feb and a bit of the flu in Feb. 

I've got a 1/2 marathon coming up in Red Deer on May 23rd and have no idea of how I'll do.  I would like to do it sub 2hrs, but don't think I'm quite there yet, so I think I'll set my goal for 2:05 and see what happens.

Meg - I run in the mornings because if I don't I know I won't run later - life always ends up getting in the way.  I hate getting up early, but when I do force myself out of bed for that run I always feel much better during the day than if I don't run.  I have skipped many runs in the past when I can't seem to get up and I always end up kicking myself in the butt for it later...  Hopefully I won't have to kick myself much more...  *smile*

Lu

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Bryan, I hope you have light feet and a great finish!!

Matt, sometimes those low mileage months help you come back stronger. May will be better! Smile

Lu, going to Red Deer sounds like you might not be all that far from me. I'm in Regina. I've surprised myself again this week, this time with the realization that when I'm getting up early to go run, I don't really care what the hour is. I'm happy to get up to go run. Sadly, it didn't mean my legs wanted to go this morning, but we all have those sometimes. Mentally I was good!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

jules2

I haven't posted for a while as I've been busy.

So I've far run one Half this year in the Hague ( Netherlands ) and the chip didn't work!   Ran 1:31:45 but was a bit tired as I had a duathlon the previous Saturday followed by a hilly 7 mile race on the Sunday as my Tri club was short of vet runners.

The course for the Half is quick in fact it is the world record course 58:35 I think, there were 5 runners under the hour all African.

My next Half is called the Dog and Hedgehog ( after a pub ) in three weeks I was hoping for a sub 1:30:00 when I earlier in the year but I had a 100 mile hilly bike race last weekend and a duathlon this coming weekend so I think a sub 1:30:00 will have to wait for another time.

Not running a great deal at the moment as I'm trying to crank the cycling up so it will be interesting to see how much effect this has on my time.

Punkelvis, I swapped to Pegasus and they are the best shoes I've ever had in fact today I bought a brand new pair, also like you I lube my feet as I've found it stops blisters I use this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Udderly_Smooth_Extra_Care_Chamois_Cream_8oz/5360038454/

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.