Half Marathon Trainers

HTM September thread. (Read 328 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well that 's frustrating it might be the route. I hope you can figure it out and find a solution.  

Missed a couple of runs this week for various reasons, also working both Friday and Saturday this week so will have to try to do a longer run on Sunday. Hope its cooler!

I missed my Wednesday run because sleep was a bigger priority. I figure the week following a race can be a four run week. I ran Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I'm going to run tomorrow morning. My runs have been good. Tuesday my quads were still a bit cranky from the race, but the mental burst was great. The last two runs my pace felt like it was bouncing all over, but I didn't walk so it feels like I'm shifting focus again and that's a welcome change. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Still have bad memories from getting my wisdom teeth out 2 years ago... full anesthesia was the way to go.

Things have been busy over here.  I finally started college and moved from DC to NYC, which was definitely a big change.  I did a pre-orientation trip where we biked ~150 miles over 4 days through Connecticut and cutting back across New Jersey into the city.  It was a lot of fun since I hadn't biked in years.  Also a great way to meet new people before moving in!

I've restarted Pfitzinger's Injury Recovery program after suffering ITBS in June when trying to get back into it after my stress fracture in February - I feel like I've had a constant string of injuries since the winter which have prevented me from running consistently.  Now I'm taking it slowly, taking days off when I don't feel good and trying to listen to my body a bit more.  I'm still running really slowly compared to my pace in the winter but I'm sure speed will return with distance.

It's looking unlikely that I'll be able to repeat a sub-20 this year, but I'm just happy to be back on the road!  Riverside Park's within walking distance and Central Park's about a mile away so there are lots of good places nearby to keep me motivated. Smile

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

HappyFeat

Sunday's hike was a tough one, over 10 miles and not particularly scenic. The first 4 miles were up up up through dry forest with nooooo views at all. From the 30 to 90 minute mark, my Garmin pegged the incline around and about 50% !! Only a couple pics were taken because the sun was so high in the sky that the opposing mountains were just too hazy. Here's one though:

I took a vacation day today and it is DH normal day off. So we decided to try a shorter, almost completely flat hike for a change. The plan was for 6 miles alongside Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park. I unwisely upped it to 8 and we were very tired by the end of it. For me, after running a 10 miler on Saturday and hiking a brutal 10 miles on Sunday, by the 4-mile turnaround today, my hips were hurting! Oh well, they'll recover. The views were refreshing.

Here's a trail shot:

The water at Lake Crescent goes between a royal blue and a turquoise color, depending on how the light is hitting it.

It's unreal! Here are some photos of the turquoise at the water's edge. Sometimes the whole lake looks this color.

An informational sign said the color is due to the pristine nature of the water. It's so cold that it has less nitrogen and thus no algae to muck up the clarity. The combination of the clarity and light create the color. So I learned something today tooBig grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Amy, I love your hiking photos! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

HappyFeat

Thanks, Meg! It's fun to share them.  It's actually been 2 or 3 years since DH and I have been hiking. It feels great to get back into it! Surprisingly my legs feel fine today and I had a stellar 6-miler today. I think those lateral hip rotators that got sore in hiking don't get used much in running, so I was spared any discomfort.

Whoa! I completely missed this over the weekend. I must brag.

Last year I BARELY hit my goal of 1000 miles by hitting 1000.3 miles for the year, which was a huge mileage PR. I'm now @ 1009 miles, which is a lifetime high. Very happy!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Whoa! I completely missed this over the weekend. I must brag.

Last year I BARELY hit my goal of 1000 miles by hitting 1000.3 miles for the year, which was a huge mileage PR. I'm now @ 1009 miles, which is a lifetime high. Very happy!

WohooO! That is awesome! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

HappyFeat

Hurray for Red! Congrats on the mileage milestone!

vegefrog

WTG Redrunner!! That is so awesome!!

Beautiful pictures from your hike. I cannot believe that is a lake. Really, really gorgeous! Oh how my lab would love to swim in that water!

I had a horrible, no good, awful long-ish run today. I'm chalking it up to tired legs from my 17 miler on Saturday. We pushed the pace a little and maybe I'm paying for it now. I am going on vacation this weekend so I tried to rearrange my schedule and do my long run of 18 miles today...Didn't happen. I only made it 12 before everything was tight, my form went to shit and my stomach started hurting. All kinds of things were happening and none of them were good, so I walked 2 miles back to the car and called it a day. I guess these bad runs make us appreciate the good ones even more.

I'll take it easy and hopefully be raring to go for my 20 miler next wed!!!!

HappyFeat

Sorry you had a lousy run, Vege.

If it were me in your shoes, looking at your log, I'd say I wasn't running enough regular miles in the week to support the distance of those longer runs.

Nice work, redrunner! Consistency is just so key. My mom always used to say (actually, she still does) "showing up is half the battle". Keep rolling those miles into some more good races!

VF, and others - seems that shuffling schedules is a pretty clear theme lately. Always tricky to have to decide what workouts to move where when other stuff gets in the way. Sounds like maybe just not enough days b/w those long runs. It happens. Better to be able to walk to the car and run another day than push it. I have found myself moving stuff around nearly every week it seems.

I'm on vacation myself this weekend (vegas!). Bachelor party for last friend standing, leaving tomorrow. I'm taking Sat. morning for myself though and heading to the desert to run the red rock canyon trails. Can't wait for that.

HF, nice pics!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        vegefrog

Woohoo! Vegas and new trails! Sounds fun Kevin Smile

Amy, I think you are right. With all this switching around I've been doing due to vacation/wisdom teeth removal/etc. I just haven't been getting the middle week runs in like I should. I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm going to make sure to hit all those easy runs and hopefully that will help me stay strong for my long runs. If nothing else it gives me something to focus on Smile

I just couldn't pin-point the cause of today's "blah" and that was pissing me off more then the lousy run, LOL!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I just couldn't pin-point the cause of today's "blah" and that was pissing me off more then the lousy run, LOL!

Sometimes we are too close to think objectively on it. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Beautiful photos!

I would love to have a small sailboat and sail on that lake- or even a canoe...

Have had a very heavy cold the last two days, so no running. Good thing is it seems to be clearing up as quickly as it came on.

Good running to all!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks everyone....

Kevin-

enjoy Vegas. I'm impressed that you (at least) plan to get out for a run.

VF-

I agree with HappyFeat, though seems like you've worked that out on your own. Hopefully you're able to get back on schedule now that you've moved on from the surgery.

Alex-

welcome back and congrats on starting school. Sounds like you know what you're doing on keeping things under control, hopefully you're able to maintain some consistency while busy at school.

HF-

those pics are amazing. I want to run (and swim!) there Smile