Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Sept 7 & 8 (Read 16 times)

an amazing likeness

Here in New England the transition from summer to fall is the only peaceful season shift.  Winter invades fall like a rising tide moving ashore and toppling a sand castle, unstoppable…then spring and winter battle for control over blustery back and forth days for nearly all of March and April…summer settles in slowly, taking all of May to push its heat into the deep earth and cold ocean. But fall arrives quickly and summer just…quits, and usually the first week of September is when summer hits the wall. No dithering.

And with that, our fall racing season is starting to wind up with 4 half marathons on the calendar for the weekend.

Tweaky63 and RunTomRun haven’t been over this way to our group in months, so I can’t offer any commentary on their  races.

CanadianMeg has improved her time at the Queen City half each of the past 3 years, knocking it down by nearly 10 minutes (!), and is looking to push that streak into 4 years on Sunday.

I’ll be heading south to the second running of the Applecrest half which starts in an apple orchard, then winds through rural country roads with no flat sections in the course, steady rolly-polly with some sharp uphills. Hopefully with some good months of training and having seen the course once, I can improve on last year's so-so time.  Apple pie and ice cream at the finish!

Sep

Tweaky63

Chicago Half

Chicago, IL

Sep

RunTomRun 

River Run Half Marathon 

Berea, OH 

Sep

CandianMeg

Queen City Half

Regina, SK, CA

Sep

MilkTruck

Applecrest Half

Hampton Falls, NH

Good luck, fleet feet and following breezes for all running races, or logging training miles this weekend!  Go get 'em.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hog4life

Good luck everyone!

I'll 2nd that, good luck everyone and don't forget to post your reports.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

an amazing likeness

If you want a pretty good chuckle....follow that link to web site for Meg's race and check out the FAQs.  The writer has a pretty good wit, here's a sample:

How long is a marathon? How long is a half marathon?

You know, we get this question more often than you might imagine. And, if you're new to the whole running/walking thing, it's a darn good question. Better to ask it now instead of halfway into the race, because you might not like the answer at that point...

Can I run or walk the race barefoot?

Sure, if that is how you’ve always done it. However, we don’t recommend you waking up on race day and deciding to run 42.2 km barefoot just to see if you like it....

ashleyww

Ice cream and apple pie at the end of a race, sounds crazy awesome!

Good luck everyone!

redleaf

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how you all do!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good luck all!

MT, did you see the one on that site about unauthorized aid stations (residents offering stuff to runners) that includes something along the lines of "if you see a man in bunny slippers, tell my Dad to go inside and quit embarrassing Mom." They do have a pretty good sense of humour. Smile

Today I don't feel nervous, just excited, I think.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Are there any “unofficial” refreshment stations on the course? 

There is always the possibility that enthusiastic residents might set up their own “front yard aid stations”, offering food and fluids to participants. We want you to enjoy this kind support from the local neighbourhoods and we encourage you to thank the folks for being so enthusiastic about the event. However, we do ask you to please exercise your common sense when taking food and drink from strangers along the course.

So, if you DO decide to take a big swig of whatever the crazy old guy in the bathrobe and bunny slippers is serving from his front porch, you do so at your own risk. 

Then do me a big favour and tell my Dad to please go back in the house and put some clothes on…he’s embarrassing Mom.

an amazing likeness

Sep

MilkTruck

Applecrest Half

Hampton Falls, NH

Quick update... ran a 1:44:37. Let's call that "ok" and move on. Was pretty concerned early on as legs had no pop, at about 3mi I muttered to myself that I was running with legs that felt like they already had 8 or 9 miles on them. However, ended being pretty much on plan through 9, then faded ~10 sec/mile off plan for 10, 11 & 12. Then no pickup from 12 - finish.  That tells me I need to get more longer tempo runs back into my training.

We all love photos...so here's a few...

The start line was next to the pumpkin patch:

At the finish, apple pie and ice cream made at the Applecrest farm:

Also at the finish...a pretty good singer/songwriter:

hog4life

MT, even though you didn't "feel" it today, that is still a very respectable time. Thanks for the pics.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

CanadianMeg has improved her time at the Queen City half each of the past 3 years, knocking it down by nearly 10 minutes (!), and is looking to push that streak into 4 years on Sunday.

Sep

CandianMeg

Queen City Half

Regina, SK, CA

Make that 4! My streak continues. It was a PR by 25 seconds, but I'll take it! 2:25:01. So close!! I wish Garmin would get their issues fixed so I could see my stats. I think I ran pretty even splits the whole race. I was so nervous this morning and wanted to beat what I did last year. I will write a race report and post it later, but thought I should update my result at least!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Make that 4! My streak continues. It was a PR by 25 seconds, but I'll take it! 2:25:01.

YEAH !!!  Way to go, Meg.  4 for 4...that's good stuff. Screw the :01, you nailed it.

Nice job everyone!  yay Meg a PR!  I knew you could do it.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Congratulations Meg on the PR and the 4 for 4.  Not too many people can claim that, I can't.

MT, sorry you didn't feel it today, but still respectful time.  Can't remember from your profile what your PR is, but seems ot me you're in the neighborhood.

Barbs595, welcome to the group, why not tell us something about yourself or open up your profile.  We're nosey!

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

redleaf

Make that 4! My streak continues. It was a PR by 25 seconds, but I'll take it! 2:25:01. So close!! I wish Garmin would get their issues fixed so I could see my stats. I think I ran pretty even splits the whole race. I was so nervous this morning and wanted to beat what I did last year. I will write a race report and post it later, but thought I should update my result at least!

Woohoo!

good job Meg and MT

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362