Half Marathon Trainers

Carlsbad HM, here I come! (Read 285 times)

madness baby

I had my first 10 mile run yesterday, and after tackling that one, I feel ready for the half! My race isn't until Jan. 21st, so I'm just thinking I will maintain until then, maybe start doing some hills. Twice during the run yesterday, I looked at my husband and said "this is so easy!" I was in completely shock at how running just a minute slower per mile and on softer ground, I could find running to be so lovely and amazingly easy. He just said I was finally in shape. Whatever the case is, training has gone very well so far and I feel ready for the race! As I've only been running for a few months and have never done a longer race, does anyone have any advice for me over the next month? Keep in mind, I am expecting the week of Christmas to be a very low mileage week due to traveling and feasting we will be doing. Thanks!
    deb
      Sounds like you're in great shape for your first HM. Smile Some random thoughts, from looking at your training log... With your longest run at 10m, you're definitely in great shape for the HM... you might want to go to 11 or 12, for no other reason than confidence.... I'd maintain (or slightly increase) your long run up to 2 weeks before the HM. 1 week before, only go like 6. The only cause for possible concern is that some guides say your long run should not be any more than 30% or so of your weekly total and you're up beyond 40% some weeks... this can put you in danger of injury ... When I my did first HM in the fall, I had some bad aches and pains by the end of training and I think going beyond the 30% may have been one of the reasons... so if I really had to choose, I wouldn't be worried about boosting the long run so much, but I'd be inclined to boost some of the 3's to 5's and some of the 4's to 6's... just to increase your overall strength... And over the holidays, don't sweat it... throw in a week with three runs of 4-5 miles and your body won't even notice. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's so exciting! You're going to LOVE the HM! I can't wait to do another! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

bas

Good luck! That makes (at least) two half marathons in january. I run a HM on jan 14. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

madness baby

you might want to go to 11 or 12, for no other reason than confidence.... I'd maintain (or slightly increase) your long run up to 2 weeks before the HM. 1 week before, only go like 6. \
            I agree with the confidence thing! It's so mental for me since I'm just getting started Wink Thanks for the advice on the % of weekly mileage for long runs. I have been worried about a little overtraining, and in the past week, my knees have started to hurt for the first time. Now that I've gotten to mileage I didn't imagine I could do just 2 months ago, I'm going to take your advice and increase my shorter runs just a bit and keep those long runs 10 or less for the next few weeks. Thanks again for that advice. I am glad for the lighter week this week, too. I'm running in a hilly neighborhood over this holiday season, so that will boost my strength as well. Bas, good luck on your half! I'm a week after you, so I'll be excited to hear how yours goes. Smile
            deb