Half Marathon Trainers

Post HM (Read 316 times)

So what do you all do the week or two (or month of two) after you finish your HM? My next goals are a ten-miler early Feb and another half in March. I want to keep my base, but I also need inspiration. And this week has been crazy, so I only got in one really, really short run. (2.5 miles slowly 2-days after the half.) I am thinking maybe an easy 5-6 tomorrow? And then????
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I dunno.. I found myself surfing the internet the afternoon after my HM, looking for another one to sign up for. I ended up with a 10K and a 14 mile trail race over the next two months. This might be a good time to reflect over your recent accomlishments and try to see where you would like your running to take you next year. Just a thought.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There really isn't anything around here until, I think, early Feb. I'm pretty much looking at about a race/month until my biggest goal yet--a 25k on Mother's Day weekend. I will be doing a 10k, 15k, and 10 miler before that. This Summer I will be doing another 15k and a 4 miler "Brat Trot" with my brother in WI (and Chris Dereuter from here, too, I think) I also am planning to do a 10 miler and 2 HMs in the Fall. My goal in the meantime is to try to maintain around 20-25 miles/week and some cross training...then gradually start increasing my mileage in preparation for spefic races and over the Summer--just as I did this past year. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I did my Half in September and since then I have run a couple of 5k's, I'm doing a 10 miler tomorrow. I have a half planned in April. I'm trying to keep my milage above 20 miles a week and I'm also working on speed for the time being. I'd really like to get a PR in April when I run my next HM.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

bas

A 15K race next week and then a HM in january. Maybe one or two 10K races too, but that depends... There is no shortage of races here in winter but I will need to watch myself Sad bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Hey all, Great advice and exciting plans abound! I think you misinterpretted my question, however, which was more aimed at the short-term recovery period (1-2 weeks out) than the long-term. I dont have anything coming up for a couple months, so I dont need to push now, but I do want to be back up to speed in the next few weeks or so. I went out today for about 6 miles - I did eventually loosen up after a few miles, but my legs were pretty tired and the last couple miles were pretty rough. Listening to my body, I knew I probably should have cut it short, but that would have meant walking a couple miles back home and it was pretty cold out! BTW - I just had my first 20+ week a couple weeks ago. I was really excited about it! I got pretty close before my first half (19 one week), but there was something about a 20+ week. So all you folks trying to maintain 20-25 mile weeks impress me!
              Wingz

Professional Noob

I went swimming and did other cross-training for a bit, and then tried to start running like I'd done before. Guess what? It hurt. Every run, something hurt. Then I cut the speed waaaaaay down for a long run. After that, everything was fine. Guess it just took some time for my body to recover. My mind was ready to go that same day, but I had to wait. Sad I'm all better now! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

I tried running twice in the first ten days after my HM and both runs felt awful... it took two weeks for me to be able to have a pain-free run (and since I didn't have any races scheduled I was content to let my body heal). I had my first race since the HM this past weekend (six weeks after the HM) and had a 5mi. PR. I've got nothing bigger than a 10k scheduled for the next few months... I've got my eyes on two sprint triathlons in April and May and will work backwards from them to plan my winter schedule.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.