Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainiers - July 09 (Read 616 times)

Wow, time for a new thread already, where is the time going.  Oh tjat's right, we spend a lot of it running. 

Any way, thought I'd get a new thread going and report my recovery progress. 

Calf is about 85% right now, but I know it's tender and could go again at any moment, but I'm pushing on. 

Had a big week last week, running 6 days and totaling 39.9 which might be the most I've ever totalled in a week. However my endurance is still down, not even close to where I was.  Wil'l give speed a look at this weekend as I'm scheduled for a 5K.  Not trying to PR it, but want to be respectable.  But I've got to get those long runs back up there if I want to get training seriously for running in the Hartford Marathon Oct 10th. 

Will cut back to 5 days this week and cut that mileage down a little bit, but try to increase my long run at least back to 13.1 on Sunday. 

How is everyone else doing?

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

jules2

New physio seems to have fixed my leg so aim is to get some steady miles in this month as no races and away on holiday (four whole weeks)

Plans unclear at the moment, but I have my eye on a couple of 10K's, a couple of big duathlons with the big local half on the 11th October where I hope to get a PB plus of course the weekly local 10 mile time trial series ( on a bike )

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Lu481

I did an easy 4.2 miles yesterday and my left leg didn't hurt at all during the run.  I hope that means I'm completely recovered.  I wanted to run again this morning, but decided I'd better not push it too soon.

I won't be ready to run the 1/2 marathon that I wanted to this month, but hopefully I'll have built up enough mileage to run  one during the 3rd weekend in August. 

Happy Running,

Lu

Sounds like all three of you are healing pretty well, that's good news.

I ran a pretty decent long tempo tonight, 13.1 kms or 8 miles, 67:46, some rolling hills. Slowest mile was 9:03 uphill, best mile was 7:18 downhill. Felt pretty strong right to the end, which is good as my long run on Sunday was a struggle. On target for about 175 miles this month.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

You Are Beautiful.

i'm up to week 5 of higdon HM training. did my two 5mile runs no sweat Smile

this week will be a challenge to push toward 6 on sunday. this might be a plateau-type week where i work on hills or something else besides distance. i've got the time to repeat a few weeks.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
            Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Congratulations on reaching that milestone and I urge you to push towards the 6 even if you only do 5.5 miles of it.  I also see a large gap between your runs, tough to keep up your training taking 4 days off.  I know life and work gets in our way at times and hope that's the only reason for the gap. 

Keep it up though, as you are so close to reaching that 10K distance for your goal of August. 

Larry

i'm up to week 5 of higdon HM training. did my two 5mile runs no sweat Smile

this week will be a challenge to push toward 6 on sunday. this might be a plateau-type week where i work on hills or something else besides distance. i've got the time to repeat a few weeks.

LPH

New milestone for me:

Last night (Thursday), I ran the furthest distance I've ever run during the week (dam work gets in the way). 

About a month and a half ago, I ran 8.5 miles after work because they had extended my trail up and into Mass.  I hadn't planned going out that far that night and turned back before the trail ended.  I knew I had to be pretty close to it, so last night I set off to run until the end of the new trail which ended in Southwick Mass.  Total distance is about 9.6 miles, making it now my furthest distance for a weekday run.

The best part, is that I felt really good and didn't struggle at all, so I continue to regain my strength and stamina. 

Planning on a 5K tomorrow, but not running it full out as this is not on my feature race for PRs. 

Catch you all later.

Larry

PS  At the end of the trail I noticed that they are grading to continue the trail, it'll be another challenge.

LPH

5K race report

Yesterday's Riverfest 5K was nothing more than a little tune-up and nostaglia for going back to my home town to run it.   I ran 9.6 miles Thursday night as well, so I certainly knew I didn't have a PR in me.  Howevere I did have a very good race running a 22:22.  My miles were 7:14, 7:17 and 7:02 (7:13 Pace) and I felt really good.  I was 18th out of 80+ runners but still had a number of guys ahead of me in my age group.

It let me know that I am in striking distance for a new PR in Aug.  

The beast part is, that my leg is feeling pretty good these days, but I can still feel the tension and tightness, so I still wrap before every run, massage it both before and after, ice it aftwerward and wear a compresion sleeve most of the day.

Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job, Larry!  Good luck going for a PR next month!

Our YMCA didn't have anyone else sign up for its HM training program, so they've cancelled it.  The Higdon Beginner and Intermediate programs look TOO easy, so I think I'll go with the Advanced, and lighten it up a little if I need to.    I'm looking forward to it!  Somehow I lost a couple of pounds the last few weeks, so I'm feeling good.  I turn 47 on Tuesday, yikes!!  DH is 55, though, so I always feel like a youngster.  DS turns 17 on my birthday - now THAT is scary.

Terrific race, Larry, esp, for something you didn't take too seriously!

Congrats, and happy birthday, Teresa!

I am entered in a 5k on Wednesday night, very casual deal, not planning to taper as such, but I wll be making Tuesday an easy day instead of a 10 miler. Having trouble with my long runs recently, cut short todays run as I had a tight Achilles in left heel and some soreness in the tendons under my right foot.

I am not sure if I am being smart stopping early, or just being a sissy...

Simon.

Terrific race, Larry, esp, for something you didn't take too seriously!

Congrats, and happy birthday, Teresa!

I am entered in a 5k on Wednesday night, very casual deal, not planning to taper as such, but I wll be making Tuesday an easy day instead of a 10 miler. Having trouble with my long runs recently, cut short todays run as I had a tight Achilles in left heel and some soreness in the tendons under my right foot.

I am not sure if I am being smart stopping early, or just being a sissy...

Simon.

thanks Simon, In my opinion, you're being smart taking it easy.  No reason to push it if you don't have to.  Your experience tells you when somemthing can be pushed through and not and I think your experience is telling you not to push it.

I was going to wait until Tuesday, but I'll say Happy Birthday to Teresa as well, Happy Birthday to you.  47, heck, I'd take that again. 

Larry

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys!  My running partner has a green thumb, so when I mentioned I didn't know what to do with a weedy area at the entrance of our house, she went to a nursery and bought soil, mulch, and flowers.  She came to my house and put them in!  I had told her I would reimburse her for the full cost, but she wanted to split the difference with me, as a birthday present.  I think I'll keep her!

We ran the Yarmouth Clam Festival 5-Mile Race route that we'll be doing on Saturday.  One of those days that felt AWESOME.  I hope race day feels that good.

A question for you:  The Higdon program includes speedwork such as "7x400 at 5K pace." It doesn't say anything about length of recovery.  Should it be 200 m between each faster interval?  Of course, my 5K pace now isn't too different from my normal slow jog, but I will try to improve.  The program also shows strength training without more details, so DS showed me some arm stuff at the Y this afternoon. 

I also think you're smart to be careful, Simon.  I'm really glad I took it easy over the winter.  My achilles doesn't bother me at all now.  My training log doesn't look as "pretty" as last year, but I'm healthy!

Teresa, I hope you are right, at least this is the low risk strategy!

My Pfitzinger book says the recovery interval should be anywhere from 50% to 90% of the time you spent running.

(He always gives examples which are hilarious to me, because they represent performances I cannot even dream of: e.g. to illustrate this point he says "So if you are running 1,000 meter intervals in 3:20 (!!!!), your rest interval should be 1:40-3:00 minutes." Thanks!)

I understand if your focus is on a shorter distance you run faster, but use a longer recovery, if your focus is endurance you run slower (and/or further) but use a shorter recovery.

Simon.

Prince of Fatness

Good to see everyone is out running.  Marathon day is slowly creeping up on me.  7 weeks from this coming Sunday.  Yikes!  That means I have about 5 - 6 weeks of tough training left until I get a break.  I'm feeling pretty good, though, and probably ran my best race of the year this past weekend.  33:37 for 5 miles.  I was pretty pumped up after that.  That gives me PRs in 4 different distances this year.  Yes, it's been a good year so far.

Good running, all.  And Happy Birthday Teresa!

Not at it at all. 

325th place or bust!

Got in two weeks of just about 30 miles per week and feeling good.  Only two weeks left until the San Francisco Half.  Will be running a little less and doing some swimming in those two weeks.  Unfortunately, have to travel on a business trip next week which will make training difficult.  Even better, I get back home the Friday night before leaving Saturday morning for the race trip.  What fun!

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!