Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - April 12 & 13 (Read 17 times)

an amazing likeness

It seems that RunningAHEAD has a rhythm to it's topics....summer's heat is followed by the fall race season; which fades into the challenges of winter running; and then slowly we round the corner to....Boston marathon season. Yeah, there's the actual race itself for the select qualifiers and charity entrants...but it also casts an umbrella of "cool" over all running for a few weeks. A brief period when you're not a some nut case ruining your knees...or a group of spandex-clad fanatics blocking the road Sunday morning while swigging Gatorade -- nope, for a week in April all runners are warriors.

Our calender this week has an impressive mix of events....Hog4Life has, well, let's call it a duo-duo for the weekend with 19.5 miles of running in total and 13.5 miles biking as he sets out on run3-bike13.5-run3 on Saturday, and turns around for a HM on Sunday. SimonR and Redleaf won the weather lottery for their 10K in Toronto where the prediction is for sunny and temps in the 60F range -- could actually be too warm -- as they join a 6 starting waves of Canadian runners with pale legs running 10K through downtown Toronto. Zelanie brings 15 weeks of 40-50 mpw training plan to her goal HM -- smile big for that finish in the stadium, Zelanie!

April 12, 2014 hog4life Heel and Crank Duathlon 3 / 13.5 / 3 Mooresville, AL First duathlon
    April 13, 2014 SimonR Toronto 10K 10K Toronto, Canada  
    April 13, 2014 redleaf Toronto Yonge Street 10K 10K Toronto, ON HM pace with long warmup
    April 13, 2014 hog4life Bridge Street Town Centere Half Marathon 13.1 miles Huntsville, AL, USA Special mug for completing this race and yesterday's event!
    April 13, 2014 Zelanie Corvallis Half Marathon 13.1 miles Corvallis, OR, USA PR attempt

Closing with a race tip -- count 1-2 steps when you cross the start mat, then push start on your watch/GPS. Do the same at the finish...mat, 1-2, then push stop. You'll have both hands free at the finish for better form and your finish photo wont show you clasping your left wrist with your right hand.

Good luck, run strong, trust your training, enjoy the events!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Rondog65

Good luck to all the racers, race well and hope all get a PR.  Hog4life, very impressed and intrigued with your endeavor, good luck.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

hog4life

Good luck Simon, Red, and Zel.

I'm looking to have fun on Sat and want some redemption from last weekend. This half will have pacers, so I plan to start with the 2:00, stay with them for 2-3 miles, make sure it's not like last Sat, then pick up the pace.

redleaf

Good luck everyone!

I'm a game time decision. Hamstring, back and then simple logistics with a point to point race no transit and a toddler. We'll have to wait and see but I'm not calling it off yet.

16 and a bit days to the half...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Docket_Rocket

Good luck, everyone!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Have great races everyone!  Hope all get a PR or wait just finish and be happy

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Zelanie

Good luck, everyone! Redleaf, I hope you are feeling better!

Good luck folks! It's pouring here, hoping for great weather for your races!

Off to the gym, A

Recalculating...

Go get it!  Give it everything you have racers!  Enjoy the good weather and have a great race!

Ready, go.

hog4life

Finish time was 1:47:39, ok with my goal of 1:45 because I really didn't know what to expect. I'll put more details up later. The 2nd 3 mile run was really hard on mushy legs. I hope to recover well for tomorrow.

Zelanie

Congrats, Mitch! Good luck tomorrow!

an amazing likeness

Mitch -- hope the recovery goes well...don't worry if you're not feeling bouncy first thing tomorrow...start slow for miles 1-2 and then get into the grove from there. I'll guess your quads will be tired from the bike..keep stride short and easy in the beginning.

Zelanie -- I hope you NAIL it. Stomp on that PR!  Make sure you keep it under control for miles 1 - 3...after your taper you'll want to drop the pace it will feel so easy...save that for miles 8 - 11.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

Wish you all a good race!

redleaf

Finish time was 1:47:39, ok with my goal of 1:45 because I really didn't know what to expect. I'll put more details up later. The 2nd 3 mile run was really hard on mushy legs. I hope to recover well for tomorrow.

Woohoo! That's great.

(quick update: my husband's still very sick so no race for me this morning. I'm okay with that - family trumps after all. My back is loads better though so I'll be heading out for a run later today.)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

2:04 and change, held 8:40 through 9, then just couldn't keep the pace. Details and RR later.