Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Trainers-December 2008 (Read 458 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I can not believe it's December 1st already...where does the time go Confused Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!! Anyway, I am all ready (well as ready as I'm going to get) for my marathon on December 13 (Rocket City). Yea I know, this is a HM group. I concentrate on half's...but this marathon I was asked to do. Over the Thanksgiving weekend, a cousin of mine issued a half marathon challenge for us...Pikes Peak Ascent Shocked http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/ If you are unfamilar with this race...it's a half marathon where you start at 7,000 feet and run 13.1 miles up to 14,000 feet (so basically you start one mile up and go up one mile and finish at two miles up). The race is held in August...but we are going to do it in August of 2010. Which will give us plenty of time to really train/exercise for it. Should be interesting. Have a great month everyone!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Rundadrun27

If you are unfamilar with this race...it's a half marathon where you start at 7,000 feet and run 13.1 miles up to 14,000 feet (so basically you start one mile up and go up one mile and finish at two miles up). The race is held in August...but we are going to do it in August of 2010. Which will give us plenty of time to really train/exercise for it. Should be interesting.
      Sounds like a very interesting race. I'd imagine the training for this is going to involve running lots of hills.
        Paul, I was going to make a joke about it just being two half marathons, one right after another, but we all know its much more than that. By the way, there are 5,280 feet in a mile, so the finish on the Pike's Peak event is closer to 3 miles up! That sounds intimidating to me.. Had bowling last night and I am going to the Oshawa Motorsports Club awards dinner tonight, so schedule is off this week. Hope I don't get into bad habits..

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

IMKY13 finish!!

Sounds like a very interesting race. I'd imagine the training for this is going to involve running lots of hills.
          The hardest part of the training would be trying to get used to the lack of oxygen. I mean, you can run up hills (lots of em in this area), but how do you simulate running at altitude?

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

We don't want to end the year with only 3 entries on the monthly thread, do we? To answer your question, Paul, I think you are supposed to move to Colorado, with your coach, masseur, nutritionist, sports psychologist and the rest of your team, and attend an altitude training camp. That's how they do it in the big leagues! Not much running to report, starting over again, basically. Simon.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

5.7 miles on Monday and 7.3 miles yesterday. Felt good! I didn't run for 4 days (one planned, 3 due to the ice storm), and it's amazing how good it feels to run on fresh legs! Looking forward to a run in fresh snow in a few minutes. Smile
              Ringmaster

I guess we're all busy baking cookies and sending out cards, huh? Paul, my husband wants me to do The Bear Runsome time, but like you, it's running in altitude that bothers me even more than the elevation and hills. (Okay, climbing up Grandfather Mountain is a little bit of a concern--I've driven up to the Mile-High Swinging Bridge and that was bad enough, with all the switchbacks.) The last time we were up in Boone, where he went to school, I could barely run at all. His old tennis coach assures me that you get used to it, but how long before the race would you have to arrive? It sounds like fun for you, though! Smile I'm still in marathon-training mode, though I haven't registered for the race yet . . . just in case! I did one eighteen-miler and overran the distance Saturday and ended up doing nineteen. Interestingly the 19 went better than the 18--I took more fuel and water on the run, and I also paced myself better by dividing the distance into three segments and pacing myself--10-min miles the first 6, 9:30s the second 6, then 9-min miles the last set. I was much less tired not just that day but the days that followed. There's enough time in the training schedule for four more extra-long runs so we'll see how those go. Got a 10k this weekend. It's funny to hear Teresa talk about fresh snow--I'm hoping we have temps below 70 for the race!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck on your 10K, Vixi! Wow, that sounds warm! I just ran for 5K. 20 degrees, challenging footing, and the wind was blowing snow in my face, but it was still fun. Does that make any sense?? I don't know why, but running in the snow makes me feel like a kid. I planned on going farther, but I was pooped out. My average pace was about 12 mpm, slow even for me! DS16 wants to go to the Y to do some cross-training after school, so maybe I will get another couple of miles in on the TM.

Prince of Fatness

Hi all. I'm back running, not up to my 40+ mpw yet, but at least running. I saw the doctor last week and he said my flexibility is getting better. I guess the stretching and the yoga is helping. I still have a little soreness in my lower legs, but they are improving. I ran a 5 mile race this past Saturday. I had signed up before my injury so I figured I might as well go. I wanted to put some effort into it, but not go all out. I didn't take my watch on purpose. When I got to the end I figured I was around 41 minutes. I finished in 37:33, so I was pleasantly surprised. That's only 3 and a half minutes off of my PR. I think there is a lesson in there somewhere about racing without a watch. Anyway, my half marathon is May 3. I hope to be back up over 40 mpw by the end of January, then maybe peak around 50 for the race. Hopefully the legs will cooperate. I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season.

Not at it at all. 

IMKY13 finish!!

Not much going on with me right now either...just recovering from Hunstville marathon. My foot/ankle seem to be doing better, but still haven't run on it yet since Saturday. I think I'll take one more day off (tomorrow) and see how it feels Friday morning. Vixi...which marathon are you training for?

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Rundadrun27

I've ran 9.4 miles over the last two days. After work, I have another 3 miles planned on the Treadmill. Tomorrow is a rest day.

jules2

74.50 miles done this month ( despite the crap weather ) and 61.50 needed to get to a 1000 for the year, already have 4 HM's in line for the early part of 2009 if I do good then I might move up to fulls.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Ringmaster

I have to admit, I wouldn't mind a teensy bit of cooler weather. Nothing like what my sis is telling me they're getting in her corner of Connecticut, though . . . MrPH, I'm glad to hear you're out on the road, and especially that your "running easy" was so close to PR-form! Sounds like you're healing well! Yes, there's a lesson in there about not watch-hawking. Paul, I've picked out the Tampa Bay Distance Classic because my sister lives about thirty minutes away. It eliminates the need for a hotel and hopefully will increase my cheering section.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

IMKY13 finish!!

Paul, I've picked out the Tampa Bay Distance Classic because my sister lives about thirty minutes away. It eliminates the need for a hotel and hopefully will increase my cheering section.
                              Yes, it's great having your own cheering section. When I did Huntsville this past Saturday, my wife (and the wives of the friends I went down with) met us at miles 7 and 17 (and finish of course). I was looking forward to seeing my wife at each place, and I broke down the marathon to "three smaller races"...the first being 7 miles, the second being 10 miles (miles 7 to 17), and the third being 9.2 miles (miles 17 to end). It was great having her there...for support and encourgement. Smile Good luck wih your marathon Vixi !!! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Ran with my son last night, only 3.7 miles, very cold. He is not in the shape he used to be, we went pretty slowly! Good luck with the marathon, Vixi, keep posting about your training as it helps keep you going, and we all learn from your experience. I am starting to think about doing "the big distance" in 2010, before i turn 60. I am starting to feel I can't really call myself a distance runner until I have done it at least once, sort of unfinished business idea. Simon.