Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 5/9/13 (Read 10 times)

Julia1971

May:

IPatti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11 - Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 5/11 - Mermaid Run East Bay Sirena18 (18 miles)

Docket Rocket - 5/11 - Lou Gehrig's Disease 10K

Marco59 - 5/12 - Fredericton Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19 - Run for the Red Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/19 - Capitol Hill Classic 10K

Runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/26 - Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 5/27 - Patriots Day Half Marathon - Goal 1:55

June:

Julia1971 - 6/8 - Lawyers Have Heart 10K

Docket_Rocket - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

hilltopper91 - 6/21 - Media 5 Mile Race

BruceD555 - 06/22 - Grandma's Marathon

marco59 - 6/23 - Bay of Fundy Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

AthenaofAmerica - 7/6 Dirty Half Dozen 6-Hour Endurance Run

August:

Patti678 - 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

Runmomto3boys - 10/6 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

BruceD555 - 10/06 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 10/19 - Folsom Blues Breakout Half Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Good morning,

4 or 5 easy planned after work this evening

Julia1971

I'm up!  Coffee's brewing and I should be alert enough to leave the house in about a half hour.  I'm doing 7 miles easy.  My calves and ankles are still tender but I'm hoping that'll go away by tomorrow.  I may work in another rest day, or inspired by Scott, I may try to get in for a massage in the next week.  I'm still not totally ready to start training hard.

Coffee's ready!

Just B.S.

Morning Dailies!

3 more sleeps for Marco, Hubby and I (and lots of my running friends)

My seasonal allergies have been knocking me on my butt the last 2 days, congestion, sinus and ear

pain and fatigue. I hate taking any kind of meds but I gave in this morning and took some OTC

allergy pills.

Because I felt lousy I only did the 1,500 yard swim yesterday and skipped the easy 4 miles I had

planned.

Will do trudge through the 4 miles today instead.

There is rain forecast for the marathon on Sunday. A blessing and a curse. I ran my fall full in

pouring rain and had a 7 minute PR. This course is mostly hard packed trail through the woods

which could be bad for me on a sunny day. My allergies are much better on rainy days so at least

the rain could keep my allergies in check.

Have a good day everyone!

marco59- Enjoy those 4 or 5 miles this evening and I hope you're feeling good for the race this weekend.

Julia1971- Coffee is always a good thing. Wink Enjoy your 7 easy miles this morning and hopefully your ankles/calves are back to normal soon ... whether aided by a RD or a good massage or both.

Just B.S.- Good morning and sorry to hear your allergies are acting up right now. When I was young I never had any problem with allergies in the spring/fall but it seems the older I get the worse it affects me. Mine are just now starting to fire up too and I have that "head filled with watter" sluggish feeling. Enjoy your run today and take care of yourself for the race this weekend.

Well, I got in another 7 miles last night, 5 with the RPs and the one guy brought his lab along so we kept it to a nice easy pace. Today we're supposed to get rain throughout the day but I'll still get in 5-10 this evening after work. I hope everyone has a great day and stay safe out there!

Train smart ... race smarter.

Just B.S.

Just B.S.- Good morning and sorry to hear your allergies are acting up right now. When I was young I never had any problem with allergies in the spring/fall but it seems the older I get the worse it affects me. Mine are just now starting to fire up too and I have that "head filled with watter" sluggish feeling. Enjoy your run today and take care of yourself for the race this weekend.

Same here Bruce. Never had an issue with seasonal allergies until about 10 years ago and this

has been the worst spring yet.   You description hits the nail on the head of how it makes me feel.

I keep reminding myself of everything I went through this training cycle with my Aunt, lack of sleep,

other family stuff going on that I can't really talk about and so the  allergies being the least of it and

I kept on trucking.

So I figure if I can get thru all that for 16 weeks I should be able to get myself through race day no

matter how I feel. 

I already plan to do almost nothing on Friday and Saturday.Smile

Brains aint me forte

Hey runners!  I'm enjoying my down time but thought about packing my gear for a lunch time run today.  Then I remembered that my DW and I are taking her brother to lunch for his birthday so I guess it will be another rest day for me.  I'm OK with that. I was able to get a deep tissue massage scheduled for tomorrow but it is early in the afternoon so I will be forced to take a half day off of work.

We have a pretty busy weekend planned so I probably won't resume running until Monday.  If all goes according to plan, I won't have more than a day or two off again until the end of October. Shocked

Marco - Enjoy your easy run later.  How many marathons will this one be? Do you still get nervous?

Julia - I'm glad you were able to get up and out this morning.  I hope the aches and pains subside. You mentioned yesterday that you don't use an alarm clock.  I set one, but I don't usually need it because I wake up on my own.  I have gone without one for a while and been fine, but I find that I sleep better with the knowledge that it will wake me up if I need it.  When I don't have the alarm set I tend to wake up more often to check the time.

Beth - I hope the 4 goes easy later.  I'm sorry to hear about your allergy problems.  Like Bruce,  I'm a fellow allergy sufferer too.  It has been raining here for the past few days so we've had a bit of a reprieve, but the allergies will come back with the sun soon.

Bruce - Enjoy your run later.  It looks like your recovery has gone really well!  You asked about my legs yesterday.  My legs are pretty much 100% right now but I still have a very little tenderness in both of my Achilles.  Achilles pain could probably be categorized as "chronic" for me but I'm hopeful that if I stay disciplined about stretching and eccentric heel drops throughout my next training cycle that I won't miss any runs because of it.

Have a great day all!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

marco: Have a good 4 or 5 later.

Julia: Hope your calves and ankles feel better soon.

B.S.: Sorry to hear about the allergies.

Bruce: Hope you have a good run after work.

Scott: Glad you're enjoying your down time.

Sorry I've been kind of MIA, but I just started a new job with somewhat crazy hours, especially in this first week. My shin seems to be getting a little better, though it usually is a little sore by the end of work, as I spend most of my time on my feet and do a lot of walking around. Next week the hours should be a little better, and I should have more time to post. Anyway, I'm doing mostly easy running, and fewer miles than planned this week, to let the shin heal and get adjusted to the schedule.

Hope everyone has a great day!

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

Bad Ass

Morning!  Working from home which meant 7 miles this morning.  Weights and miles with DH tonight.  He talked about doing his LR this weekend, LOL.  Of 3 miles, but at least he knows the lingo.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

I've been checking the weather for the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon starting in Holdingford, MN Saturday morning and it looks like it will be a chilly & windy one.  Starting weather at 0700 looks like 38F with winds at 20 mph gusting to 28 mph giving a wind chill of 28F.  Looks like the wind will get up to 28 mph sustained with gusts up to 37 while I'm still on the course.  At least it looks like there is no longer any chance of rain.

Today is supposed to be the perfect spring day here in the Atlanta area.  Sigh....

This taper has been costing me my standing in the miles per year listing.  I'll get back on track though, during the 60 - 80 mpw Hansons' plan after I get back.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Morning guys.  Sorry I missed you all yesterday...just got kinda busy.  I did get to my 5 mile group run though.  I ran tethered to two other guys as we were demo-ing the tether system they're using for an upcoming race to benefit ALS.  You run 3 5k loops, and drop one person off at each loop (so the last runner does 15k).  It's on a trail, so being connected by 2 feet of rope will be tricky.

I think today I'll take a rest day.

Marco...I hope the run feels good.  I seem to get the phantom pains during taper.

Julia...Glad to see you were up in time to get done what you wanted.  I agree about not being ready to train yet...that's exactly where I am, although you've raced a ton more.  Did you see the end of TAR?  I really thought the last challenge was easier than it usually is.  Maybe teams have just gotten more prepared for the memory portion by writing everything down.

Beth...Counting sleeps?  Very funny.  My big thing is the night before the night before, since that's when I know my best chance to get good sleep is.  Hopefully the allergies ease up for you.  The race rain should actually help with that too.

Bruce..Sounds like a nice run for you last night.  One of our running friends brings his dog sometimes, but she's a fast little must.  I really don't know what she is, but I think we hold her back.  She's even done 20+ mile runs with no problem.  Have a good run after work.

Scott...Downtime is good!  I'd love to get back on the daily running train too, but know just isn't the time to rush it for either of us.  Have a nice lunch!

Swift...Good luck with the new job.  Hopefully it will be easier on your running after the first week.  I hope you continue to recover from the shin trouble.

Docket...I bet getting the miles in early was a nice treat.  I have to say, I don't ever remember a LR of 3 miles, but it sounds like it's making some good progress.  Keeping it going for 2 weeks is no small feat, and I mean that sincerely.

RVD...Ugh, that wind!  Off all race conditions, that's the one I most fear.  It's funny that you mentioned the miles per year...I've been slipping too, but I knew I would.  I'd rather run a great race than a bunch of a miles any day.  Are you going to adjust your goal based on the wind, or maybe just try and push a little more when you're not going into it?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Scott--This will be #8.  Secretly hoping for a PR.  Boston was the first one I did not do that.  I am usually nervous in the hours leading up to it, but then, when I get to where the race is going to start it goes away.

RVD...Ugh, that wind!  Off all race conditions, that's the one I most fear.  It's funny that you mentioned the miles per year...I've been slipping too, but I knew I would.  I'd rather run a great race than a bunch of a miles any day.  Are you going to adjust your goal based on the wind, or maybe just try and push a little more when you're not going into it?

It may not be too bad.  The race is on a Rails to Trails type path that does have lots of bordering forest that can help block the wind.  There are clear sections though, and that is where I'll get blasted by the wind from my right.  There is really only one turn on the course which occurs about half way.  After that turn the wind should be mostly from the back.  I'm trying for an even pace all the way through, with my original goal.

Julia1971

Rough day at work. People vying for my attention l day long so I didn't get a break until 4ish and this time I opted for lunch over personals. Smile On my way now to happy hour with a former co-worker.

Marco and Beth, Have a good shake out run. Hope everything feels okay.

Bruce, Glad you were able to the it easy.

Scott, Enjoy the massage and the rest days. It is hard to believe you'll be training in earnest so soon.

Swift, I hope that swelling goes down. Good luck adjusting to the new job. I know that can be stressful.

D_R, A 3 mile long run is funny. Hope he doesn't hit The Wall.

RVD, Ugh! I hope the winds change direction for y'all.

SIAR, That's a great service you're providing... I did see the season finale of TAR. I thought the same thing re the final challenge being easy. I was also happy with who won. In the end, they really deserved it.

4.2 done at near MP