November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Julia1971

Good morning!

It's a nice 44 degrees this morning.  I haven't decided if I'll do my intervals today or my medium run since it's going to be even warmer tomorrow morning...  I'm in a weird mood this morning.  I think I'm hitting the point in marathon training where I'm kinda tired of all the running and want to race.  It's not too bad right now but it probably will be by next week.

QOTD: Do you get the winter running doldrums?  And/or, the marathon training doldrums?  If so, what do you do to get yourself out of them?  Or, do you just ride it out?

Marco, Good to know work isn't interfering and you're able to fit it all in.  Your schedule sounds similar to mine.

Pressing, I think I was spoiled at my other gym.  The treadmills there were so easy to program that speedwork was easy.  It was also more popular so there was more people watching.  This new gym is less inspiring.

SIAR, I don't like running in the rain either.  Well, unless it's warm rain but that rarely happens.

Swift, You were trying so hard to catch that guy!

Scott, A rest day sounds good.  But, yeah, try to get out there tomorrow since it's supposed to be so nice.

D_R, Hope the reflux clears up.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
      Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Brains aint me forte

I woke up feeling pretty good so I'm going to go ahead with the 8 miles that are on my training calendar for today, but I'll skip the 5x600m @ 5K pace.  If the weather comes as predicted today and tomorrow, these are not days to miss out on so the plan is to move the RD to Thursday.  I'm supposed to run a tune up race Friday so having a RD the day before seems like a good idea.

Julia - I can relate to your mood for sure.  I haven't been through this enough times to know what to expect, so reading your post was a comfort to me.  It let me know that I'm not the only one that feels a little burnt out right now. Thanks for sharing that!

QOTD: I am a very analytical person, sometimes to a fault. When a certain mood hits me I always want to know why and will spend a lot of time trying to figure that out.  Often times if I can understand why I feel a certain way, it helps me to overcome it.  So for instance, just understanding that this is a normal part of the process helps me to take a mental step back from the negative thoughts.

When I was a teen I read a book called "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" that I enjoyed very much. It's kind of a new age book that when I look back on it I reject a lot of it as crap. It was also pretty poorly written but the best lesson I learned from it is that I am responsible for how I feel about things. Attitude is not something that just happens to me like a change in the weather.  Rather, my attitude is a choice that I make every moment of every day. I choose to be positive.

Another great lesson I learned from this book is that there are no ordinary moments.  Every moment in my life is a gift and I need to treat it that way.  This is not an easy thing to do but it helps me to remind myself of this once in a while. To try and be in the moment instead of thinking about things that have already happened or planning things that haven't happened yet. The Buddhist concept of striving to exist in the present moment as much as possible.  This is the best part about racing. During a race I am solely focused on where I am and what I am doing. No worries about tomorrow or questioning choices I have made in the past. There is only NOW.

I am in no way able to achieve all of this nearly enough as I would like, but I try.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Long intervals this morning:  2wu+3(2m@1/2MPw1mr)+2cd  No problem maintaining the pace.  That is the last 13 miles of intervals for this training session, although there are some 12s left.

Re QOTD.  I think that seeing my continuing improvement has helped me avoid the doldrums this time around.  I think that if I had plateaued then I would be more training weary.

Bad Ass

Morning!  I have a short recovery run tonight followed by beer.  I wish all running group meetings end with that, ha!

Gotta go, busy day!

Julia, Scott, RVD, have a nice day!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Bad Ass

and RVD, great job on the 5K!

My reflux is gone.  I'm on the right medication now and I can already feel improvement.

Blog

jojo61397

I'm BAAAACK!

Sorry been off for a long time.  Taking some much needed facebook time off.  Anyway, took up cross fit along with running.

Sunday: 16 miles

Monday: Cross Fit

Today: 6 miles with 5 X 300 hill repeats

Wednesday: 6 mile recovery on the treadmill + cross fit

Thursday: 6 miles on the treadmill + cross fit

Friday: 8 miles

Saturday: Off

Sunday: 8-12 miles

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                Sub- 1:45 hour half.

fake it till you make it

This cold/cough stinks.  Supposed to do 5x1 mile @ HMP today, but thinking I'll just make all 10 easy miles.  We had a big ice storm and the temps are just right that the entire outdoor world looks like one big ice rink so I'll be taking it to the gym today.

QOTD  Not yet this cycle, but I felt that way last spring. Partly the long training cycle, partly my own impatience, partly spring fever.  Julia it probably doesn't help that your last marathon cycle was thwarted and then there was the inferno at Boston, so your body and mind are way overdue for a good race.  Do you ever run with other people? I really enjoy that on my easy run days, or even driving somewhere different to run  so I can focus on scenery instead of inspecting my garmin every 10 seconds and wondering how I'm doing in comparison to my plan.

work keeps interfering with time for personals...

10 done in 6 degrees....a full 2 mins per mile slower than yesterday's TM run.

Supposed to be in the upper 40s tomorrow with rain....near record high temps for these parts

Hope your day is going well!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey all.  I got in 7.57 this morning at easy pace, although my watch was a little wonky and I guess I ended up being a little faster than I thought I was.  I'll do about 5 more this evening with a friend, which will put those miles in my recovery range.  That's fine by me as my legs felt pretty heavy today.

QOTD...YES and YES.  I actually think that I have seasonal affective disorder, so I really struggle when we don't get much sunlight for long stretches.  Fortunately, with all this climate change stuff, the last couple winters have been very tolerable.  As for the running, it's very typical for me to struggle in the middle of a marathon cycle.

So far, this year has been really good.  I think a lot of that has to do with the fun that I'm having getting out with my running group.  Still, I'm worried about this cycle because it's the first time I've used a 20 week plan, and also the first time I've done a 4 week mini-cycle before starting the plan.  I haven't felt that great on my last couple runs, so I'm hoping I'm not there right now.

I do think having a few indicator races in the middle of the cycle helps to split it up.  As I've said before though, I'm also concerned that the races will mess up my training so I limit the racing more than others I know.  My only other trick for getting out of it is to do something different...new route, new types of runs, etc.  Other than that, it's just about counting down the days only the calendar until the race.

Julia...That was a good QOTD...I enjoyed it.  Sorry that you're feeling a little run down at the moment.  You did just get stuck for a bunch of days on the TM, so maybe that could be a factor.

Scott...Are you going to run an actual race, or are you doing a time trial on Friday?  I don't blame you for switching the days around...it's nice not to be bundled up for a change.  Those are great lessons you took from that book, and I could see the value in trying to apply them to my own life.  And don't worry, none of go through a training cycle feeling chipper the whole way.

RVD...Continued great training for you!  That's always exciting when the longer quality stuff starts to wind down before a race.  I can see how showing repeated improvement would make you feel really good about your marathon cycle.

Docket...Sounds like you got the medicine bit taken care of - good!  Enjoy the run and beer.  That's a great way to get some carbs for your next run.

Jodi...Hi again!  Did you have a good experience with the Goofy Challenge?  Cross fit always looks so challenging.  Are you going to a cross fit specific gym?  Does that leave you any time for your paddle boarding, or is that season over?

Jen...Sorry you're still feeling poorly.  This bug doesn't seem to go away quickly.  I hope the TM treats you well.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

RunSaintRun

My reflux is gone.  I'm on the right medication now and I can already feel improvement.

Docket,

My girlfriend has reflux that is pretty bad at times. If you care to share curious what med works for you??

Thanks

jojo61397

SIAR-- it's a little cold for SUPing right now, so I haven't been boarding.  I go to cross fit hosted by the base gym, it's run by volunteers, and it's free of cost to service members and their families.  I had a great time at Goofy.  I forgot to post this on FB or anywhere, but the coolest thing happened at the end of the race.

Jeff Galloway lives in Destin, near where I live, and I run into him at races a lot.  I was completely spent after Disney and was in tears.  He came up to me and gave me a huge hug and said, "you did so awesome, young lady."  The few other times I have run into him, he always calls me "young lady", at first I didn't think he knew who I was, but he then asked if he was going to see me at another local race.  It was so cool.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                          Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Bad Ass

I am currently on Protonix 40mg and my husband is making me take a one pill of an OTC one (I think Prevacid).  It's gone for now, as compared to this weekend, though, not gone.  I'll check the OTC one and let you know which one it is.

Docket,

My girlfriend has reflux that is pretty bad at times. If you care to share curious what med works for you??

Thanks

Blog

Bad Ass

And I duplicated my post!

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

And I duplicated my post!

Boooo.  Yep, I boo'ed you Smile

Jodi...That is very nice that Jeff took the time to talk to you after your race.  I've gotten emotional like that after a race too.  It's funny how easily the tears come when you're exhausted.  Free cross fit sounds awesome too.  I bet you're really getting toned up!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)