1 mi- 6:42 Mar '12

2 mi- 14:41 Jul '11

5k- 24:02 Jun '11

10k- 49:42 Nov '11

HM- 2:05:43 Apr '12

FM- 4:34:40 Feb '12

runnrchic jk

Hey yall,

I'm back!  For real this time.  I finally got a job, so now I have something to live for, just kidding, but not really...  Anyways, I haven't completely gotten over losing my job (I was planning on being there til retirement), and wasn't able to find anything even remotely close to what I was doing, but when I allowed myself to have an open mind, I found something, and hey, I have nothing to lose, so I'm excited.  I think once I get started with this job, I will forget about the old one.  When you get to rock bottom there is nowhere to move but up!  The same goes for running since I'll be basically starting from square one again.  It's amazing how as soon as I got that job I couldn't wait to go running again; I'm just really happy to be back to working.  So it's time to start building back a brand new career, my endurance, and my self esteem.  I can't even believe how much having a career and being so fit in running actually meant to me until I lost it all and spiraled downward into something that was tough to climb out of.  It seems like it would be no big deal to get it all back, but I obviously took it all for granted.  So anyways, my job starts Monday and so will my running.  I ran the 5k at Disney with my mom last weekend (last year i did goofy) and that's essentially the only running I've done for several months.  It's been 8 months since I've actually trained for anything.  Since I have to work on Saturdays now, most races are out, but there's one I ran last year that's on a Sunday, so I'm going for that one again, a HM.  Last year I ran a 2:05 so maybe this year i can run a 2:15 or so.  In 2014 I'd like to run a marathon and break my PR of 4:34 from last year.  I'm setting some goals and going into a very unplanned part of life, but I'm moving forward and very happy to be back!  Hey to SIAR, Marco, PO, CC, Jodi, Damaris, and everybody from RWOL!

runnrchic jk

omg we get signatures here!  I missed those.

Julia1971

Good morning.  I'm still a bit groggy but have a 12 mile medium run on the schedule.  I'd run into work but from doing a coat count realized there's not one waiting for me at work.  With a wintery mix in the forecast, I've decided not to risk hypothermia on my evening commute. (Marco and Just B.S., please stop laughing at me).  Seriously, though, a couple years ago we had what we call "commute-ageddon" where people got stuck in rush hour traffic for hours after only some rainy snow fell.  We can't handle snow here.  Although, I suppose I could run home if it comes to that.

Runnrchic jk, Welcome back.  I'm one of the new people.  (Well, I've been on RA for about 4 or 5 years now.)  It sounds like you're had a tough year.  I'm glad things are turning around for you, though.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

runmomto3boys

Runnrchich: I am so happy to hear about the new job!  Congratulations!!!  Things are definitely looking up, no doubt about it!  I'm happy to hear you are getting your running groove back as well.  Yay!  Would you mind adding my races to the roll call?  I'm running the Green Bay marathon on 5/20, the Lakefront marathon on 10/6 and Route 66 marathon on 11/24.  Thanks!

Julia: I hope the 12 miler goes well today!  You must live somewhere really warm if crummy weather is that crippling.  I hope you all don't get hit too hard!

I have 8 recovery paced miles on tap for tonight.  Have a great day!!!!

Finally PRed!!!

Morning everyone!

runnerchic: that's awesome about your job! Glad you are back.

Julia: hope you have a good 12. Hope the weather doesn't get too bad--we still have rain here,but it's supposed to end today.

runmom: welcome! Hope you have a nice 8 tonight.

Well, the group run last night (in the rain again) was fun--I ended up running faster than planned--in fact  it turned out to be essentially a long tempo for me. So I will scrap the intervals I'd had on the schedule today, and do a shorter MPish run for my first run. Then another group run at the other running store (the one closest to me) later. Knee felt fine during the run, but a little strange after. Planning to keep the miles in the 40s this week, so hopefully the weird tweaks will subside a bit. I'll also try to keep the pace fairly easy the next few days to be ready for the 5K on Monday.

I'll respond in a bit to posts from yesterday too, gotta do some things first.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Mostly Harmless

Good morning all.  I have a SRD today but I might get in a few miles after work if we get home early enough.  DW and I commute together a couple days a week and she has a couple late meetings today.

runnrchich - Welcome back!  I'm glad your job situation has finally turned around.  I know you've been bummed about that for quite a while now.  Things are looking up!  Enjoy easing back into running. :-)

Julia - I hope the 12 went well.  The weather this morning looks great for a run.  I remember the storm you're talking about.  The guy on channel 4 called it "Carmageddon" which always makes me laugh.  People were actually abandoning their cars in the middle if the beltway!

runmomto3boys - Welcome to the group!  Another speedy runner in this group to make me feel slow.  Enjoy your recovery run later.

I didn't get to reply to many posts yesterday because I was busy taking my oven apart last night. I've never tackled oven repair before and it took up most of the evening.  I managed to get it fixed and it was a good excuse to have pizza and beer for dinner so I'm pleased.

Backtracking to yesterday's posts.

NTS - I hope your tweaky knee issue turned out ok.  It's smart of you to cut back some as a precaution.

RVD - I'm glad your Wednesday was better than your Tuesday!  I hope you were able to get your progression run in this morning.

Beth - No. We've had next to nothing with snow here and when we do it usually melts within a few days.  I hope the 7 went well.  You have quite the talent for scrap booking!  My DW is currently going through about 20 years worth of pictures and trying to get them all sorted out.  It's a massive project that sends me running every time she hints that I might like to join in.  If I remember, I'll take a picture or two of some of the hills in my neighborhood.

Pressing - Glad your son is better and you could escape the house.

SIAR - I love the easy runs too. I think sometimes we need to remember that at least part of the reason we run is because it's fun. :-)

Marco - I'm glad you were able to get in your 10.  Is the job getting any easier?

Jack - I hope the rainy 10 went ok.  Thanks for the info about the Reston Marathon.  I think I'll stick with Shamrock.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Good morning,

A little over 5 done with the main objective being not to break a hip.  Nice and warm....33....but ice everywhere except on the snowmobile trails which I ran a bit on.  Pace was 10:30 something!  Not a quality run.  Looking for those -5 temps tomorrow.  Off from work as we are going to Bangor for the dentist which will hopefully be the last time for a good while.

Scott--yes, I had some projects that got put on the back burner for awhile.  I only stayed 30 mins late yesterday instead of 1-2 hours.

runnrchic--It is great to see you back.  We missed you.  Best of luck in starting the new job and ramping up the miles.

Julia--have a good 12 and an easy day at work

nts--hope the knee behaves...are you going all out on the 5K?....as if there was any other way

runmom--cutback day today?  Only 8?  You have been racking up the miles lately

Rained out again today, so back to the treadmill for 6.  I did just a little small progression thing on the treadmill to help break the boredom.  I did the 2wu+8PR+2cd, but just did a quarter mile instead of a mile for each progression bit.

I'm sure I'll be able to get my run in tomorrow.  It is just going to be cold (for us) -- in the 20s with a several degree wind chill subtracted from that.  Sigh.....

Repeating the following because I don't know if people actually go back into the older daily to see a response to a comment.

Quote from JenRosie on 1/16/2013 at 7:18 PM:

RVD  I see you are doing Wobegon this year. That’s my PR course from last year. Lots of people from my running group go and I’m a little bummed I’m not going this year. Tiny race but fabulously well done.

JenRosie: My PR is also in Lake Wobegon.  I've done it twice but had to miss it last year due to a strained calf muscle.  I'd like to PR again this year.  Too bad you can't make it.  Yeah, it is very well organized.  They think it is odd that I travel all the way from Atlanta to run their small local race.

Bad Ass

Mornring!  I did 4 recovery miles this morning.  Dinner and drinks with a fellow forumite tonight.  Looking forward to that.

runnrchic is back!  Glad to see you around these parts.

Have a nice day all!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

My medium run went well. The weather was nice - 45ish degrees. Hard to believe it's going to snow but I'm now reading we'll only get an inch. Once again, I ran a little faster than maybe I should have but, I'll find out on Saturday. I have my next MP long run then.

Scott, I remember Carmageddon. It was crazy! I was stuck on my bus for about a half hour before I decided to just walk the 1.25miles home... I'm a Fox5 fan myself. They crack me up. And, I like the "Ask Tony and Tucker" segment.

D_R, You're doing marathon recovery right! Have fun at dinner.

RVD, Hope the rain stops soon so you can get outside.

Marco, It should be an easy work day. No meetings!

Swift, A cutback week might be enough to make the knee happy. How are your shoes? I'd been having some weirdness in mine but it's gone away thanks to my new Mizunos.

RMT3B, I'm in the D.C. Area. We're routinely rated as some of the worst drivers in the country. And rightly so. Smile

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jack...From last night....I'm not a big McMillan user either.  I used to take my paces from Daniel's Vdot numbers, although I always wished I could do the official Vdot testing as opposed to just coming up with an estimation from race times.  That's great that you have a coach to work with and bounce ideas off of.  The owner of our local runner store is a good resource for me, but he focuses so much on trail racing that his advice is a little skewed.  It makes sense that easy pace will change with age, and also be impacted by training and fitness.  I'd say running by feel and staying healthy is far more important than running your fastest "easy" pace.

Runnrchic...Hi!  So nice to see you again, and glad to hear that things are going much better for you.  I'm sorry you went through some rough times, but hopefully those are all behind you.  It's kinda interesting that now that things are better you're ready for running.  I was kinda the opposite in that starting to run was the one thing that really helped me through a pretty bad patch.  Either way, we're both running now Smile  That was nice that you could still share Disney with your mom, even though you weren't doing Goofy like in the past.  I seem to remember you trying to get your family more involved with being fit, so I'm guessing that has worked a bit.  It seems like a lot of races are actually moving to Sunday now, so maybe your choices won't be as limited as you think.  Good luck with the new job, and enjoy the running.

Julia...I was bad and sleepy today too, meaning that I still haven't run.  I'll just take an early lunch and get it done.  I hope your 12 went well before work.  I had to laugh at you doing a coat count!  "Car-mageddon" does sound pretty rough.  I hope that you don't end up having to deal with anything that severe.  I remember that happened in Chicago a while back too, but it was far more blizzardy than what it sounds like you're getting.

RMT3b...3 marathons this year huh?  I've heard a lot of people say they've run a PR when they've done 2 races about as far apart as your October and November ones, so maybe it'll work that way for you too.  Enjoy the recovery miles, and good luck keeping them at recovery pace.

NotSwift...I forget where I was having the discussion, but it's interesting with group runs how some people run with faster folks to do tempos, and then others run with slower folks to keep the run easy.  Either way, it seems to work out pretty well.  I'm glad you enjoyed the rainy miles.  Dropping your mileage a bit sounds smart, almost like a mini-taper for your 5k.

Scott...That's nice that you can share the commute sometimes.  Sharing the 20yr picture project does sound like a little much though haha.  Enjoy the rest, or couple miles if you get them.

Marco...Phew, good thing your hips survived.  I might have just bagged that one all together.  Good luck with the dental trip.

RVD...Bummer about the rain.  At least you were able to get something decent in on the mill.  I'm going to be fighting a cold spell in a couple days here myself, so I second not looking forward to the weather!

Docket...Good job with the 4 miles.  I think I saw elsewhere that the Cirque show was good last night?  Have fun with drinks later.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

CompetitiveChik

So I took the plunge last night and hired a Professional Coach. She's gotten many of her ppl to BQ and is currently training others to BQ. I'm pretty excited and nervous. I've been in control of my training for 5yrs now. I think I've done pretty good but I also feel I can do so much better. Everyone raves about her. She's very outgoing and has followed my running almost from my first day at the shop. We have a meeting tonight and will go over goals and training. I have complete and total access to her anytime I need/want it. So....here I go

Coach told me to take the rest of the week off. I'm suppose to do elliptical today but I havent' signed up with the gym yet. tomorrow will be spinning and saturday 6 easy miles with sunday off.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

PressingOn

Hey all!  20 miles today.  I'm not in the mood.  Still feeling a little funny after my cold so I hope the run doesn't wear me down too much.  I'll do it though.  Later I've got to get the kids packed to go to grandpa and grandma's house for the weekend, take them to swim lessons and then drive them to their grandparent's house.  Tomorrow morning I head to the gym for my swim and then I'm outta here for my weekend away.  No internet service so you probably won't hear from me.  Well, I may check back in tonight to tell you if I survived the 20 miles or not,  but after that, not again until next week.

Julia - Great idea on the prizes for yourself. I'm not sure I could be that disciplined. I would cheat a lot.  I'd probably make up new goals half way through a race or workout so I could get my gear.  Funny about thinking Marco and Beth would laugh at you. I picture them rolling their eyes. Lol!

Beth - Ah, you're too sweet. I'll let you know. I think I'm okay and it'll probably be good for me to let my creative juices flow a little more.

SIAR - You are a good son even thinking of looking in a scrapbook place for your mom.

Jack - Hope you had a good 10. I assume it was in the dark. As for your fitness, I bet it's still there. I think sometimes, after being sick, the body can take a little while to respond. It will though.

Runnrchic - I almost missed your post this morning! Good to see you posting here again. Congrats again on the new job. As for the running, it'll come back for you.

Runmom - Enjoy your 8 today!

Swift - I think that's a good plan to let yesterday's unplanned tempo replace your intervals today. Keep that knee healthy!

Scott and Julia - We had an event like you describe in my area.  I don't remember how much snow fell (it was more than a snowy/rain mix) but yeah, cars were abandoned and traffic was not moving. My husband had to stay at his sister's because he couldn't get through the traffic to our home.

Scott - Well, if you don't get home early enough to run it's not sweat (literally, ha!) since it's a SRD.

Marco - Glad you did not break a hip!

RVD - Sorry about the rain forcing you onto the tm. Good job making it at least somewhat entertaining.

Damaris - How was the show last night?

SIAR - Get your run done today!

CC - I think you're going to love having a coach. It is hard to give up control at first but it gets easier.

runmomto3boys

Not too Swift: That sounds like a fantastic group run yesterday.  I think it's a good idea to lighten the load this week so your knee stuff resolves.  Nip it in the bud!

Scott: Awww, thanks for the welcome and don't feel that way!!  I hope you enjoy the downtime today!

Marco: I'm glad you made it through the 5 miler in tact.  It sounds like one slippery run!  Brrr...it's going to get chilly tomorrow!

RV: I hope the 6 TM miles went well!

Docket: Ohhh, fun!  Who are you meeting up with?    Nice work with the 4 miles.

SIAR: The late November marathon is mainly to meet up w/a bunch of forum people - so for fun, although I'd take one more PR too.  The Route 66 course is hilly, though, apparently.

Julia: Fantastic job on the MLR.  You are one fast girl - I saw that you are targeting 3:15 in yesterday's dailies - OMG!!!  It will be nice to watch you train/learn from you as I head into my training this cycle.

Competitive: Good for you for making that decision!  I hope your coach can help take your running to that next level!

Pressing on: I hope your 20 miler goes well.  That is one long run for a Thursday!  Good luck!