Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 12/24 - Christmas Eve Runners! (Read 142 times)

Mostly Harmless

CompetitiveChik - 12/23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 12/29 - iRun Half Marathon

January:

Joe1775 - 1/5 - Phunt 50K, Elkton MD

JodisRuningForAutism - 1/12-1/13 - Goofy Challenge

Docket_Rocket - 1/12-1/13- Goofy Challenge

Didgeridroo - 1/13 - Disney Marathon- Goal: TBD

pmhill6 - 1/13- Disney Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 1/13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Not too Swift - 1/21 - MLK Day 5K

Patti678 - 1/26 - PolarBear 5K

Docket_Rocket - 01/27 ING Marathon

February:

PressingOn - 02/16 - Woolley Trail Run Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 02/17 - A1A Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 2/17 - Austin Half Marathon

Runnrchic - 02/24 - New Orleans Marathon - Goal: break 4:34

GregTR - 2/24 - Cowtown Marathon - Official 3:10 pacer

March:

Patti678 - 3/2- Albany Marathon, Albany GA

CompetitiveChik - 3/2 - Woodlands Marathon

JodisRunningForAutism - 3/3 - Seaside Half Marathon Destin, FL

Docket_Rocket - 03/09 - 13.1 Miami Beach

Julia1971 - 3/16 - Rock n Roll USA

jojo61397 - 3/17 - Publix Atlanta Marathon - Goal: Sub-4:00 hour

Patti678 - 3/17 Publix Half Marathon, Atlanta GA

Not too Swift - 3/17- Georgia Marathon

athensguy - 3/17- Georgia Marathon

RVDowning - 3/17 - Shamrock Marathon

ImNotScott - 3/17 - Shamrock Marathon

Joe1775 - 3/23 - Haulin' in the Holler 50K

onemile - 3/30 - Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon

April:

Docket_Rocket - 04/07 - Marathon Paris

joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

Docket_Rocket - 04/14 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Xrayman: 4/21: Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19-Run for the Red Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 06/13/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4- Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

August:

Patti678- 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Mostly Harmless

Good morning!  Headed to the trail to run 10 w/5 at MP.

Merry Christmas Eve!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Just B.S.

Morning Scott! I'm just going to copy and paste my late post from last night (early morning) as I likely won't be back

on line today.

Hi everyone!! Just a quick pop in! Had soooo much to do yesterday, then found out we have 4 more coming for

dinner on Tuesday. We are now up to 15, it will be fun and I'm trying not to stress!!

Had zero time to run Saturday so hubby and I got up early and got in 9 miles in the cold, on icy roads but it got

done.  I've been running super easy "feels like" paces since my last half 2 months ago to give my body a rest

from 6 months of racing. I had a PR marathon, half marathon and 5k all within 4 weeks from Sept 30th to

Oct 27th and after 9 other races in the prior months, most of them some type of PR or course PB and I thought

it would be a good idea to give the old legs a real rest.  I am unofficially in marathon training this week but don't

really care about how many miles I get in over Christmas and will start tracking next week.

Today's run felt super easy effort wise, had a 700 foot elevation gain and still came in with an average pace

of 10:15. Gives me hope that when I start picking up my paces again my body will not have forgotten

how to run faster.

SIAR, I had no idea the darn Doodlepops originated in Canada!LOL However the genius that is Rick Mercer

more than makes up for that travesty.

CC, hope your race went well today.

Hi Mark, D, Marco, Hill, Julia, Patti, Scott and everyone else!

Hope everyone has a great holiday with their friends and family!  Think of me on the 26th as it is my

51ST BIRTHDAY!!

Julia1971

Good morning!

At the last minute, I decided to do a medium run (15 miles) yesterday instead of tempo.  It was still pretty windy out and I was dreading the idea of fighting wind while trying to hit a goal pace.  So, I'm hoping to do the tempo running today.  I woke up feeling dehydrated so I'm having some Nuun and then will have my regular pre-run snack of coffee and bagel.  Still feeling good and healthy.  I started the strength/endurance phase in Pfitz and will be doing pretty high mileage for the next few weeks.  I hope my legs hold up.

I'm planning to spend today with two of my closest friends.  One is a dear friend from college who makes cookies for me every year.  We're planning to meet up for lunch.  And, the other is my closest friend from field hockey, who is also a runner.  I'm having dinner with her family at a local seafood restaurant.  Yum!

Scott, did you see we might get flurries today?  More likely for you than for me.  But, there are two other chances for snow this week.  I have a bad feeling about this winter.

Just B.S., it's really hard to stay on schedule this time of year.  Cutting yourself slack and easing into marathon training is smart.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Good morning,

Finally managed to squeeze in a 10-miler earlier today.  Despite being 17 degrees with a stiff wind, it didn't go too badly since the roads were clear.  Now at work collecting holiday pay and will do so again on Thursday.$$$  I am off Tuesday and Wednesday.

Scott--Hope you had a nice 10.

Beth--only four of us tomorrow.  A coworker who used to be in Texas with me has moved here after making stops in Halifax and France.  They are coming over as, like us, they have no family in the area.

Julia--Have fun with your friends today!

Haven't been on since Friiday, so..

Saturday: 5w4x30b (bring ups: 5 miles with 4 occurrences of ten second strides with HR at 75%, 85% and 95% of MHR

Sunday: 15 miles.

Monday: 6 miles with 6 ten-second strides.

Got a problem with my Sunday long run.  Did the 15 miles two seconds faster than my goal marathon pace.  Makes me wonder how I am supposed to run next week's 4wu+8MP+3cd if I'm already running faster than that.  My marathon PR is 4:22:12 (10:00 mpm pace), but after a couple of injuries I went over 5:00:00 for three consecutive marathons.  Now that I'm healthy again I'm afraid to set too aggressive a goal for the Shamrock to try to get my times back down to some level of reasonableness and was just thinking of shooting for a 4:30:00 (10:18 pace, but really need to run at 10:15 because of the extra distance one always runs.)  I'm wary of targeting something much faster for this one.  I do have Lake Wobegon 7 weeks after the Shamrock and can always run that one faster if all goes well in Virginia Beach.

Also, the treadmill....   I was just supposed to to 6 recovery miles with 6 ten-second strides thrown in, but I could kill myself trying to do strides on that evil device.  It is OK when going from a slower speed to a faster speed, but when I'm sprinting it is hard to key in the pace to slow it back down.  I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and do these runs early in the morning, just like I have to do my Tuesday and Thursday short and long intervals.  Next week Mondays go from 6 miles to 8 miles.

At least with no work tomorrow and school closed I'll be able to do my 2wu+6(800@5kw400r)+2cd at a more reasonable hour in the morning. (Just have to be early enough to beat the rain.)

Bad Ass

Morning!  20 miles done with the bum knee.  The knee behaved at least.  And the run felt too easy.  Two miles were hard mostly because I ran without albuterol and I think the body was yelling at me for that, but I survived.  I've graduated from albuterol for sure.

RVD, what does Hanson says about running a bit too fast?

Have a great Christmas Eve!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Merry Christmas Eve to all of you that celebrate!  I did 11 miles this morning, the first 6 at easy pace and then the last 5 between 10-20 secs over MP.  Tonight I'll be reading at Christmas Eve mass, and then after that I'll watch A Christmas Story with my mom.  We don't have a ton of traditions, but that's one of them.  Last year we even went up to see thehouse where the movie was filmed, which was actually a lot of fun.  I hope you all have great days with your families and friends.

Scott...Same to you!  Have fun on the trails.  I'm glad your foot has recovered so well.  Does that make you think maybe it was just a bruise?

Beth...Wow, that's a big dinner you're going to be making.  Good luck!  Good job getting some miles in this week to kick off the marathon training.  I had to look Rick Mercer up...I'm not convinced by his contributions ha.  I do like Roots athletic gear, and their little logo.  I'll give you credit for them.

Julia...You like the Nuun huh?  I was given some free samples of the tablets, and I can't say I was impressed.  It was kinda like a cross between flat pop and metamucil to me ha.  I'm feeling like you are - good and strong right now, and hopefully it will last through the whole training cycle.  Sounds like a great time with your friends.  Enjoy the seafood...you'll have to report back with what you had.

Marco...yay for your regular 10!  Nice job raking in the big bucks too.

RVDowning...Looks like you're doing a great job getting your runs in.  As for the pacing, I might hold your MP runs where they are for at least a week or two to see how well you hit the paces in your subsequent runs.  After that, if they're still feeling easy, then making an adjustment seems like a good plan.  By waiting, you assure yourself that you didn't just have a really good week and that your body is really ready to handle more.  When it comes to the TM, I have nothing to offer there.  I avoid that thing like the plague.

Docket...Wow, that's a long run on the scrapped up knee!  I can see how the inhaler stuff would be both a mental and physical battle...good job graduating from that.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

The tempo run went well.  I did them as cruise intervals - 6x0.85mi (which is about 6:00) with 1:00 rests.  I managed 7:12 pace which is still slower than my 15K/Half pace but faster than I think I could have done what Pfitz called for, which is 5 miles at that pace.  So, I feel less of a failure.  Looking forward to my 6 mile recovery run tomorrow.

Edited to add:  I hit 3,000 miles for the year today!  Man, I run A LOT!

SIAR, I do like Nuun.  It had to grow on me, though.  I double the serving size so it tastes a little more flavorful.  And, I usually add ice.  I think it tastes better cold...  I'm already looking forward to having oysters on the half shell and a beer (or two).

Docket_Rocket, 20 miles on a bum knee is pretty outstanding.  You're one tough cookie!

RVD, seems like you're motoring along...  Striders are the one thing I still can't do on the treadmill.

Marco, enjoy that holiday cash!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

LATE RUN DONE: 6 easy recovery miles in a nice overcast 55 degrees.

Julia - I could see that. Your 1 of 6 is quite an outlier. Nice job on the tempo miles.

Scott - Hope the 10 trail miles were great.

BS - Enjoy the crowd.

Marco - Great you got the cold 10 done.

RVD - I'll resist climbing onto a soap box... but You would benefit greatly from heart rate governed training and racing. You don't have to worry about picking a target pace. Find a good HR for your equivalent MP, learn to calibrate in the first 5 miles (to pick a good target HR for the conditions on that day) then run the race near that HR. I believe you'd run closer to your capability for those conditions that trying to push for a specific pace. On a good day, the pace will take care of itself. Consider my last two races (the first two HR governed races for me). http://www.markrice.com/running/index.htm#races.

Docket - Good job on the 20 and glad the knee held together.

SIAR - Great flick! We're likely to watch Elf.. another that we like a lot.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

Scott: hope your MP miles went well.

B.S. hope you have a great birthday on the 26th!

marco: glad you got 10 in.

RV: maybe you are in better shape than you realized?

Docket: great job with the 20 on that knee.

SIAR: nice 11, have fun watching the movie with your mom.

Julia: great job with your cruise intervals.

mark: nice recovery 6.

I don't think I got around to posting yesterday. Ran a little over 12.5 yesterday at a very easy pace, since legs were a little tired. I did give in to temptation and run a little faster just briefly late in the run when a kid on a skateboard challenged me to race.

Got in 4.5 early this morning.

Had tomorrow planned as SRD, but if I feel like it, I might run some before I go over to my friends' house. The legs feel pretty good now, and it looks like Wed (when I had thought I might do intervals or tempo) is supposed to be quite windy, so I may juggle the schedule around a bit.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20