GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Julia1971

Good morning, all.

I'm supposed to double today but am still sore from yesterday.  I'm up early debating whether I want to run with my club.  I think I need to get these runs out of the way early today so I can watch playoff football in peace.  Smile  But, I tend to run faster with the group than I otherwise would so that's why I'm on the fense.  But, I kinda want to catch up on what's going on with them.  I'll start with coffee while I figure it out.

D_R, Sorry to read about your eye.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Mostly Harmless

Wow, lots of activity in here yesterday!  I read through all the posts but I'm not going to try and reply to all.

I didn't get a chance to log back on after my run yesterday.  I ran 14 miles on the trail. It was colder than it has been but sunny. I was surprised that I didn't see any other runners or bikers on the trail my entire run.  In fact, aside from a couple bird watchers at mile 13.75 I didn't see ANYONE on the trail at all.  That is pretty unusual, even in the winter.

After the run I spent the day hanging out with my DW. Got a few things done around the house but mostly just hung out.  It was a good day. Smile

SRD for me and I need it.  I've had Achilles issues off an on for the past year or so.  It seems to flare up when I try to work on speed.  My left Achilles was a little sore the morning after my last speed session and has been sore every morning since then.  It goes away after I get up and walk for a while but I don't want it to get bad and end up missing time.  I have my next 20 this week so no speed work for me at all this week. All of my runs will be at easy pace.

Have a great day all!

Julia - Good luck with your decision.  Any day that ends with football, pizza and beer is a good one.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

fake it till you make it

Julia- no important decisions before coffee, good idea.

Scott- enjoy the SRD.

I'm wrapping up my night shift then heading to the treadmil at work for 8 easy miles. Then home to bed and back to work tonight.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Just B.S.

Julia, enjoy your day! even the football!LOLRoll eyes I'm sure hubby will be doing the same later.

Scott, great job on the run yesterday. The only trail near my house is only 2 miles long and I hate running

in circles so I'm 95% on the roads.

Achilles issues are well known for cropping up with speed work, be careful!! Are you rolling your calves?

I had a small achilles issue just before my first full. Turns out it was caused by my calves being way too

tight. Rolling and heels drops have kept it in check.

JenRosie, I have no idea how people work all night and then go run. You are a better woman than me!!

12 miles for hubby and I today. It's going to be messy. Snowed a fair bit yesterday and roads haven't been

plowed and then it's turning to rain. Should be good and wet by the time we get home!

I'm still really excited about giving our deposit for the trip to Ireland!!!!! It will be my 7th marathon (#6 is in

May) and my 4th country in which I've run a full marathon!!!        Please excuse me, it will wear off in a bit!Big grin

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Bad Ass

Morning!  Not sure if I posted but even with my allergy reaction, my 10 miles went awesome!

5 recovery miles tonight.

Julia, attempt the double and see how it goes.  YOu'll be surprised at how good the body feels after an easy run.

Scott, nice 14 and have fun resting today.

JenRosie, enjoy the TM.

Beth, enjoy your 12.  You're doing Dublin Marathon?  Let me know how it goes.  I'm interested in doing it as a destination race/vacation.

Have a nice day!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

I decided to run on my own and am glad I did - I was so slow.  I still have side stitches from that stupid fuel belt...  I used the run to finally figure out what I was going to do about NYCM and after thinking about it, decided to go with guaranteed entry for 2013 since my BFF is supposed to get in this year after being denied 3 years.  Fingers crossed that she gets in and we get to run together.  I'll probably still try to get in to MCM, though...  Off to do some shopping before doing the second part of my doube and then watching the playoff games.

Just B.S., Keep smiling.  I'm so jealous.  You're going to have a blast.

JenRosie and D_R, Way to go getting those miles in.

Scott, I think I've asked before but don't remember your response...  Have you tried the Strassburg Sock?  It might help stretch out your feet and Achilles.  I put mine on sometimes when I'm watching football, eating pizza, and drinking beer.

Mostly Harmless

Julia - I don't have a Strassburg sock, but I do have a night brace which I stopped using because it is uncomfortable to sleep in.  I've heard that the sock is more comfortable so I should probably order one.

BS - Breaking out the foam roller now, thanks for the reminder.  The Ireland trip sounds like a dream! I hope all the pieces line up and soon!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                  Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

I slept in this morning and it was wonderful!

Julia: Good luck with your double and enjoy the shopping and football.

Scott: Enjoy your SRD -- hope the Achilles gets better, sounds like a good idea to run easier this week.

JenRosie: Hope you had a nice 8 on the treadmill.

B.S.: Have a nice 12.

Docket: Enjoy your recovery 5.

I'll run a very easy 4 or so at recovery pace in a couple hours.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

Forgot to mention I did buy new shoes yesterday. I don't wear any of the trendy models--I'm still running in Pegasus (except for my trail shoes), because they're inexpensive and work great for me. Did finally get the 29s though. I'll get another pair in about a month or so. I might get a pair of something else at some point, just because I think it's good to have different models of shoe (I've had the Vomeros and some others in the last few years also). But I did need some new shoes, so I think having these in the rotation will help minimize some of  the small aches I've been having.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Just B.S.

.  You're doing Dublin Marathon?  

Nope! That would be too predictable and we don't want to do the predictable!LOL Luckily our travel

group feels the same. We like out of the way smaller more quirky events that not many people can

say they have done.

I'm not revealing the name of the event until all of our group have had a chance to register. It's small

so we want to make sure everyone gets in first.

SWIFT, I'm with you on the shoes. I don't really care about trendy or color. I have been wearing the

Asics Gel Cumulus since 2006 and they are perfect for me so I don't see any reason to change. And

I've never had an issue  so I'm scared to change at this point!

Enjoy your run later!

Julia, I"m sure your slow is my super fast!LOL But I did manage a 9:45 pace that felt  very easy even

with all the hills and gusting winds of 30mpw so I was happy with that.

Scott, don't forget to ice as well!

I'm spending the rest of the day cooking for the week, walking the dog and stretching/weights.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey everyone...Today was a fartlek day, 9.75 miles total, with 4x5min (6:09, 6:07, 6:06, 6:03 pace).  Being that I'm not a math major, I accidentally did 6 minutes instead of 5 for the 3rd interval, but no big deal.  I was debating whether to just run today easily or do the fartlek, but I'm really happy I made the choice I did because I felt great the whole run.  Tomorrow's run will be at recovery pace though, for safety's sake.  I got in 84 miles for the week, which I think may actually be a mileage PR for me.

Julia...Your line about "November Julia" cracked me up last night.  I do think you could handle twice a week doubles with the volume you already do.  For me, I actually seem to feel better on double days.  Do you find they wear you out more, or less?  I'm glad you were able to make your decision about NY.  That'd be a lot of fun if it works out for you friend too.  I pretty much gave up on my fuel belt and switched to hand held ones (although they're from FuelBelt too).  Were you wearing yours more on your waist than on your hips?

Beth...Apparently Ryan Hall trains in the Cumulus too, so you're in good company.  Your messy run sounds kinda fun.  Do you have good waterproof gear?  Today's run in the colder temps made me really thankful that I have the good gear that I do.  Feel free to keep sharing about your upcoming adventure - it sounds awesome and we can all live vicariously.

Scott...That sounds almost eerie, just have the trail to yourself like that.  I've had to make the mileage v. speed tradeoff in the past as well, and I think you'll be surprised by how well you can do if you're able to keep the volume relative high while skipping the speed work.  I'm glad you had a nice afternoon with your wife...get any brunch this time?  Enjoy the rest.  Oh, as for the Strasburg sock...I don't know about the comfort.  Pressing has one and seems to do better than I do.  If you sleep on your back all night, it's good.  Unfortunately, as soon as you go to your side, you lose tension in it, which I think kinda defeats the purpose.  I also get some pain on the tips of my toes, and usually pull it off by about 3 am.

Jen...Good stuff getting the run in before sleeping!  I'm with Beth - that's impressive.

Docket...Yikes!  That's a scary allergic reaction that you have.  I can see why you have to make sure to ask the chef and waiter about how everything is cooked like you were mentioning on the other forum.  It's amazing that you still ran so well.  Have a good recovery run later.

Swift...Easy 4 sounds nice, especially for a pre-race run.  Was the science talk and night out fun last night?  The Pegasus is still a running specific shoe, right?  I don't think those or the Vomeros are any less fancy than anything else, aside from the fact that they're sold in more places because they're Nike.  I really need to get another pair or two myself, but I just haven't found anything that works for me yet.  I can't believe my feet and form are that unique, but it's starting to look that way.

Hi to all the later arrivals too!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

Either way, let me know when you can and how was the event.  I don't necessarily like big events but sometimes they are the ones that match better with what we want to do.  Have fun!

Nope! That would be too predictable and we don't want to do the predictable!LOL Luckily our travel

group feels the same. We like out of the way smaller more quirky events that not many people can

say they have done.

I'm not revealing the name of the event until all of our group have had a chance to register. It's small

so we want to make sure everyone gets in first.

SWIFT, I'm with you on the shoes. I don't really care about trendy or color. I have been wearing the

Asics Gel Cumulus since 2006 and they are perfect for me so I don't see any reason to change. And

I've never had an issue  so I'm scared to change at this point!

Enjoy your run later!

Julia, I"m sure your slow is my super fast!LOL But I did manage a 9:45 pace that felt  very easy even

with all the hills and gusting winds of 30mpw so I was happy with that.

Scott, don't forget to ice as well!

I'm spending the rest of the day cooking for the week, walking the dog and stretching/weights.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

It was a nice 45 degrees this afternoon and I sloshed through 8 as the snow continues to melt.  However, the next few days it's supposed to be around zero or below.  It was the first time I could open up a bit and do some speedwork and my fastest run since Christmas Day.

I wish we could delete posts.